Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
165 Posts
By your logic we shouldn’t have hand warmers either. We must be doing something wrong if our hands are cold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Its possible I’m breathing some on the shield around the breath box but last year in -10F my heat shield cord wasn’t working and I was freezing over. It’s nice piece of mind when it’s bone chilling cold. When it’s not I’m in a 509 with goggles so doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its possible I’m breathing some on the shield around the breath box but last year in -10F my heat shield cord wasn’t working and I was freezing over. It’s nice piece of mind when it’s bone chilling cold. When it’s not I’m in a 509 with goggles so doesn’t matter.
If your body or your face is sweating you will fog up. You are dressed to warm! Dress a little cold so your body makes heat not sweat! Pack an extra layer if you get way to cold. Use a Klim Arctic Balaclava to direct breath out of helmet. This works at -20 no problem. We wear a poly base layer an insulation layer for the temp then shell for wind. Stand outside with just your base layer and insulation layer on. You should feel just a bit cold after 5 minutes outside. Add your shell layer balaclava and ride. Sweat or breath moisture is what causes shield fogging.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If your body or your face is sweating you will fog up. You are dressed to warm! Dress a little cold so your body makes heat not sweat! Pack an extra layer if you get way to cold. Use a Klim Arctic Balaclava to direct breath out of helmet. This works at -20 no problem. We wear a poly base layer an insulation layer for the temp then shell for wind. Stand outside with just your base layer and insulation layer on. You should feel just a bit cold after 5 minutes outside. Add your shell layer balaclava and ride. Sweat or breath moisture is what causes shield fogging.

Sorry but when I ride and its -20f I want to be as warm as possible. I dont want to have to be pretending I'm in a race to keep warm. My helmet has a super thick chin shirt 10 inches long to block the wind around my neck. It would fog in many situations without the heated shield. I rode once without it in -20f and it was fine if the shield was cracked a bit. My wife broke down and wee needed to ride 2 up and she was frosted up and needed the heated shield. My request not hers.

Theres another issue that a non heated shield will never fix. Fog and rain. I dont know if youve ever riden in either, but they wont fog up your shield. They will freeze your shield over. Thats something you cant fix without heat. It was so bad every few miles my dad stopped to open the hood to melt the ice off the shield. We did that same. A heated shield will make sure that rain or fog stays wet and not freeze. So many people go with heated shields nowdays your barking up a tree with no one in it.

I went heated shield after 10 years of great success with mx style helmets and good goggles. I rode in -20 of course. Some days duct tape on the facemask at the top where my goggles meet the helmet. And yes there was no open gap. If I fogged or got cold id adjust something. I even went as far as filling openings with the soft side of Velcro stuck together and stuck to the opening to fill gaps. I used scott and 509 goggles expesive goggles with over sized foam. One day a few years ago I went for a cold morning ride. My head got so cold it hurt. I said f%#k it and just turned around and rode back home. I never turn around. I went out and got a heated shield and never turned back. No monkeying around. No adjusting. It just works every time. Warmest helmet ive ever owned.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,716 Posts
Sorry but when I ride and its -20f I want to be as warm as possible. I dont want to have to be pretending I'm in a race to keep warm. My helmet has a super thick chin shirt 10 inches long to block the wind around my neck. It would fog in many situations without the heated shield. I rode once without it in -20f and it was fine if the shield was cracked a bit. My wife broke down and wee needed to ride 2 up and she was frosted up and needed the heated shield. My request not hers.

Theres another issue that a non heated shield will never fix. Fog and rain. I dont know if youve ever riden in either, but they wont fog up your shield. They will freeze your shield over. Thats something you cant fix without heat. It was so bad every few miles my dad stopped to open the hood to melt the ice off the shield. We did that same. A heated shield will make sure that rain or fog stays wet and not freeze. So many people go with heated shields nowdays your barking up a tree with no one in it.

I went heated shield after 10 years of great success with mx style helmets and good goggles. I rode in -20 of course. Some days duct tape on the facemask at the top where my goggles meet the helmet. And yes there was no open gap. If I fogged or got cold id adjust something. I even went as far as filling openings with the soft side of Velcro stuck together and stuck to the opening to fill gaps. I used scott and 509 goggles expesive goggles with over sized foam. One day a few years ago I went for a cold morning ride. My head got so cold it hurt. I said f%#k it and just turned around and rode back home. I never turn around. I went out and got a heated shield and never turned back. No monkeying around. No adjusting. It just works every time. Warmest helmet ive ever owned.
There you go bringing common sense to conversation!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Then why buy an XCR? (cross country racer). Sounds like you need a comfort touring sled.. Power plugs come stock on those.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Then why buy an XCR? (cross country racer). Sounds like you need a comfort touring sled.. Power plugs come stock on those.
No they don't...

Also I need a performance trail sled... Which is what an XCR is. You can race it too of course if you want. But most people don't.

I didnt buy an XCR. But I would. For the shocks. Right now I ride a pro r. I want an XCR for even more adjustability. To be able to tune the low speed and high speed. My 64 year old father in law has a XCR and loves it. He also wears a heated shield. You dont have to be Ricky racer to own an XCR... You can be someone who rides aggressive sometimes and relaxed other times.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,949 Posts
Its a personal preference boys - let's not make this personal. Ha

I am a naturally warm person, and I usually work up a sweat no matter the layers I put on. I know its not a good thing, but the advancement of clothing through out the years has allowed my body to breath better under my jacket/bibs. Warm days on the sled, I usually have to change mid-day because I'm sweated up pretty good, even with riding with the bottom half of my jacket opened up.

I like the heated shield, especially in the coldest of days. Never a foggy or frosty shield for me, and the cord doesn't bother me. Goggles are kind of like wearing a mask for me, I just can't do it comfortably.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
WHat's next ? A medium height windshield or taller,Electric start, Reverse and A heated seat ? Loloollololol

Reactions: MuscleD

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
That was satire in case anyone doesn't know me. Hah.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
165 Posts
If there exists a technology that makes the experience more enjoyable for you, why not use it?
I understand some don’t need it, but I don’t understand the need to denigrate those that have tried other options and find that the heated shield is the only solution for them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts