Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my speedometer is givin me problems....theres a little 1/8th inch square and about 2 1/2 inches long speedometer drive key that goes into the drive axle down under the clutch and is covered by the speedometer converter thing that you screw the speedometer cable into, well the key keeps grinding and breaking into two pieces stopping the speedometer from working. the last time i changed it i got about a mile on it and when i just changed it tonight i went down and back the driveway at about 55 and it worked *fine*. i just want to know what to do if it happens again. i have a good bearing on the speedo side and havent checked the chaincase side (cause i figure id know if that ones out), my cable is brand new and spins freely and my speedometer converter is used but doesnt catch or anything so i assume it is in good working order, it is pleanty greased with cold weather grease and wd-40 before it went in. i figure it breaks when the track spins and isnt catching or when i use the break frequently, so i just was wondering if there is anything any of you have done to prevent this if it has happened to you, or if you would know what to do.

thanks a bunch in advance

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
If the speedo side bearing is new and installed correctly it narrows down to -
1-drive key-not likely as you said you have tried 2 different ones
2-speedo drive hub
3-speedo cable
4-speedoometer itself.

I'd bet on the speedo drive hub but don't rule out the speedometer itself.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the speedo side bearing is new and installed correctly it narrows down to -
1-drive key-not likely as you said you have tried 2 different ones
2-speedo drive hub
3-speedo cable
4-speedoometer itself.

I'd bet on the speedo drive hub but don't rule out the speedometer itself.[/b]

thanks for your reply, i'm now thinking it might be the bearing itself since the drive hub, key, and cable are new.
like i said its working for now and ive put on about 10 miles but if it happens again i appreciate your reply so i can have somewhere to start
thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey boys hows every body,Just got a quick question for everyone, body of mine has a 500 indy its a 91 the thing is in great shape but it seems like when it hits the powder the thing dies then later on after driving for a while you have to pick it up in the air and give it gas then once you get the track spinning and the rpms up you can let it go and shes fine until you stop again.Its like its real bogy at the bottom end but it not real hot.Could this be the clutchs or carbs or what?If anyone has any info that would be great thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey boys hows every body,Just got a quick question for everyone, body of mine has a 500 indy its a 91 the thing is in great shape but it seems like when it hits the powder the thing dies then later on after driving for a while you have to pick it up in the air and give it gas then once you get the track spinning and the rpms up you can let it go and shes fine until you stop again.Its like its real bogy at the bottom end but it not real hot.Could this be the clutchs or carbs or what?If anyone has any info that would be great thanks[/b]

i would recommend for better info to your problem to post it in the general Trail/Classic/XLT forum so that you will get a better chance at finding your answer.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I would begin with a compression test on both sides.. As an engine wears out it loses it abiltiy to handle fuel at low speeds but after she gets spinning it will run great.. This is a VERY common course of diagostics with this two strokers... Especially a sled with its CV drive system.. Look for at least 115 pounds on each side,, higher the better... Check it WOT on three of four pulls.. Hopefully I am wrong and its just a junk belt but sure sounds suspictious..
ripperrrrr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts