Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Indy 440 L/C.

When giving it full throttle it immediately jumps to 8000 RPM and then fairly quickly drops to 7500 RPM and stays there.
I have replaced the buttons and spring, stock red, in the secondary clutch. Spring is in the second positon.
The primary has a blue Polaris spring with about 500 miles on it. It is not stock but has a higher engagement, slighter higher rate and finish load.
Both clutches are clean.
Belt tension and height have been adjusted.
Engine appears to run strong.

I am not sure what direction to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Is it warm out? If so, the piston ported fugi engines need to be jetted lower on the mains. Go down to 250's. BR8ES or RN3C plugs. Sometimes the secondary needs to be ran in #3. You did tension the spring/helix 1/4 turn?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it warm out? If so, the piston ported fugi engines need to be jetted lower on the mains. Go down to 250's. BR8ES or RN3C plugs. Sometimes the secondary needs to be ran in #3. You did tension the spring/helix 1/4 turn?[/b]
It was about 25 degrees out. The carbs have been rejetted. I went down two sizes on the mains, friom stock, and leaned the needle out 1 clip. Also adjusted the pilot.
I have run this jetting for a couple of years.

Have tried both the BR8ES and RN3C.

Yes I did tension the clucth when reassembling.

You think the next logical thing would be to put it in the third hole?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for all the help.

The clutch has about 4500 miles on it.

Do the primary cover bearings tend to wear out quickly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After going out for a short ride today the primary bolt broke at the threads. This is the second one I have broken in 700 miles. Is this just bad bolts or is there an underlying cause? Could it also be related to the low rpm's.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Crank runout too much, or primary clutch needing rebuilding. Those are the only two things which will cause that. I assume you have all the proper parts on the bolt, o-rings, spacer tube, etc?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the bolt had the spacer and two o rings. I am thinking it must be the clutch. I tried to move the clutch radially to see if there was any play in the crankshaft. There was no play at all. Not sure if that is an accurate test. After removing the cover and spring I tried sliding the moveable sheave in and out. It binds unless you push evenly on both sides of the sheave. The bolt is broken off inside so that I cant fit the puller to get it off. Are there any tricks to get the broken piece of bolt out.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts