Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the deal guys. Just out of college and am wanting to get back to Indian River but i haven't been since i was 13 or 14. My dad and i used to go up 3 or 4 times a year with his best friend but he passed away from cancer a few years ago. He always lead us around the trails so my dad and i aren't sure if we could get around up there anymore. So i was wondering how well the trails were marked and where the best place to get a trail map is.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Contact the Indian river snowmobile club, I am sure someone there would be happy to assist you and may even be your tour guide...If not the trail has a parking lot right south of town on old 27. Buy a trail map from burt lake marina or any gas station in town you should have no problems. Oh yeah and pray for some more snow before you come up.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a place there in town & we use the trail system all the time. Like someone said, get a trail map at Burt Lake Marina (South of town on M27). The trail head is about another mile south of that. The local grooming club has done a great job keeping the trails smooth & well marked. Beginning last year, you can now go north from town along the old RR bed all the way to Cheboygan. From there you can go to Mackinaw City, or Onaway or toward Black Lake.

When are you planning on going to IR?? I will be up there as soon as they get some more snow!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a place there in town & we use the trail system all the time. Like someone said, get a trail map at Burt Lake Marina (South of town on M27). The trail head is about another mile south of that. The local grooming club has done a great job keeping the trails smooth & well marked. Beginning last year, you can now go north from town along the old RR bed all the way to Cheboygan. From there you can go to Mackinaw City, or Onaway or toward Black Lake.

When are you planning on going to IR?? I will be up there as soon as they get some more snow!![/b]
Hi IRS, Help this guy out and take him riding. Dont treat him like you have treated me on your rides.

·
Registered
587 Posts
indian river is a great place to ride, my parents started my brother and me on sleds when we were 7 and 9. used to stay at jans campground on club rd every weekend. campground is gone now but i think the coach house is still there. they are right on the trail. you can just buzz up club rd to the trail head too. man, great memories up there. sometimes wish i was still a kid on my old 78 exciter running up and down that RR grade....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi IRS, Help this guy out and take him riding. Dont treat him like you have treated me on your rides.[/b]
Yeah, I won't put him up for free & pay for my own beer!! :flamethrowingsmiley:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, yeah i started out at indian river for the first time when i was 9. On my 78 skidoo 250 hahaha. But i don't remember a better vaction then going up there staying in at the coachouse (anyone remember the trailers out by the hotel, are they still there??? i am sure they would be even nicer than i remember haha.) Really looking forward to getting back up there and hitting the pits and the power lines like when i was younger. I am thinking about trying to get up there on Jan. 11-14 but if that falls through then ASAP after that.

Also wondered if anyone had any tips on GPS systems..... if the best when to mark your trails is the stop at certain points on the trail and mark the coordinates??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts