Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an MTI aluminum framed trailer, 2012. I am going through the wiring now to improve some things, and I noticed the main trailer ground was very corroded. The ring terminal was copper, and there was definite signs of corrosion at the bolt and around it. Should I use different metal ring terminal, or stay with copper? FWIW, all electric functions worked on the trailer last season.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would just clean really good, all things, and add delictrical grease to it, and from now on,, ever so often,. look it over and repeat, bad grounds are number 1 cause of lighting issue's on all trailers IMO
no matter what you do, they will need cleaning now and then, just part of owning a trailer IMO

·
Registered
351 Posts
Multiple grounds is good. Do yourself another favor and wherever you can, spray the ground terminal and surrounding area of the trailer frame with rattle-can cold galvanizing spray after you put it back together. (I do this instead of BB's periodic inspect/grease program -- he's very much on the right track, but i find this approach gives me a less frequent service interval)

There's no way to beat galvanic corrosion when there's current flowing across dissimilar metals in a wet, salty environment ... but the spray acts a little like an anode, and slows the corrosion process down quite a lot.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Multiple grounds can help, but can also make for more issues, as there is then more places for things to go south on? or when issue's arise, to problem solve!
just saying,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Connect them all and run them To a junction block, then run a wire from junction block right back to the battery....only way to Sure you have good grounds with aluminum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts