Hardcore Sledder banner

IMPORTANT!!

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tbone 
#1 ·
This really belongs on the tech link, but I wanted to start here because everyone checks this side out everyday. This was mentioned somewhere before, but I think it was on Amsnow's website.

For anyone that has put some miles on their sled, and has NOT looked over the PTO side, PLEASE take your secondary clutch off to look at the oil line running under the shaft. I did this last night and noticed a hole was wore through my line. You cannot determine this WITHOUT taking off the secondary.

I took my snowmobile to the dealer this morning, and he is afraid that this looks like it will be an epidemic.

I want you guys to check this and BE SAFE! :(

Glad I caught it before going up north again this weekend :blink:

#5 ·
Open the belt guard and swing it open ... take the belt off. Using a half-inch socket, loosen the middle bolt (this tightens the secondary to the PTO). You will be able to pull the bolt out after loosening it up, and the clutch will pull off pretty easily. Just make sure you look for the washers and the key to come off when you pull the clutch. It's a lot easier than it sounds, and once you do it you'll be happy you checked.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Roy T@Dec 11 2002, 11:32 AM
HOW did the hole get there? The secondary hitting the oil line, or is it chaffing against something??? A few more details please. Going from my memory, I don't remember seeing anything there that could be an issue. Thanks! -- Roy
Roy,

It looks like the line itself sits high enough that when the shaft rotates, the line actually rubs against it. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this turns out to be a service bulletin <_< I honestly couldn't tell I had a problem until I took the secondary off because the hole is directly under the shaft.

Chris

#8 ·
Originally posted by Mainecat@Dec 11 2002, 11:39 AM
when the secondary fully opens that is why it rubs. NOTE: when you remove the secondary put some NEVER SIEZE on the driveshaft. It will make taking it off again easier.
I don't know MC ... that hole looks awful suspicous of rubbing from the top, and not the side. I'm not doubting you, but just from the layout on my sled it sure looked like the shaft caused the hole. Hopefully this will be the worst problem we face (other than the coolant issue) ;)

#10 ·
I put a post on here 2 or 3 weeks ago about that. I put some plastic convoluted tubing over the oil line and stuffed it down in the gap in the bulkhead. It looks like its far enough away from the shaft now. I'm taking my sled back to the dealer tommorrow to get the bulletins done, I'm gonna have them check that also.

#13 ·
Hey F250, yes I do have a ProX. Its an '02 440 and I like it a lot. Im a long time Polaris rider and I could'nt give them up completly. I bought the F5 because Polaris did'nt offer anything different than what I already have, and I think the Firecat is the best sled being offered for '03.

#14 ·
Arctic625, Secondary opens inward. When you remove the belt you push the inner sheave toward the sled to open the secondary. It is the inner sheave that is rubbing against the oil line when it opens. May not happen until clutch shifts all the way out(top end).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.