Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta '79 Jag that ran fine last year, but now when I start it I get a thick, milky film on the pto side plug, the ign. side is not as bad, but is def. fouled without the milky stuff. the kicker is that being the dumbass that I am, I replaced the pto side piston/rings without a compression test!! I was thinking bad rings all the way! So now with that done, I got 120 psi on the ign. side and 60 on the pto side WTF!! I'll have to spray some carb cleaner on the seal and see if it's the seal. But whats got me is the milky mess throughout the pto cyl and bottom end?? And I cleaned the carb and had to replace the inside tank line, new fuel pump, and now I'm having problems feeding fuel to the carb, I can get it to the carb by blowing in the gas tank but it will only run on fuel through spray bottle, and dies. Could this be a crank seal related prob too with lack of vacuum from the bottom end??? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey RustyTrombone68:

You may have PTO seal causing A problem but it would not be THE problem.

I would start by checking out why you only have 60lbs. of compression on the PTO cylinder. No cylinder will ever be able to run with that low of a reading. It needs to be within 10% of the mag side.

I have no real advice regarding the milky stuff but I would bet once the compression is up things will probably clear up. Maybe some water got in the cylinder? You could start by taking off the intake and exhaust manifolds on the PTO side and check the rings & bore for problems but the best thing is to pull the cylinder off to see. Make sure the headgasket didn't fail as you are taking it apart.

Good Luck!

Steve

:banana:

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is old gas but with only 60 lbs there is something else wrong. You couldn’t have put the rings in upside down or put the piston in backwards. :dunno:

By the way :welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts