Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe what I read in the last OSM magazine. The statement was that aftermarket exhaust was illegal?? I need verification but I was always on the understanding that as long as the decibel or noise level was within a certain range that it was ok!! Shit if thats the case what about all these Harleys and the **** &the fairies cars with the big pipe !!Please comment, Henn, we need a cop's input! Where are you?? :doh: :banghead: :help:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The way it states is that a muffler is meant to "muffle" the noise, an aftermarket muffler/exhaust/can that makes it louder is illegal, thats why all the kids with the fart mufflers are getting ticketed, and thats why sled get ticketed...thats it, if it dont muffle, you can get a ticket..

Oh by the way...harley with aftermarkets are illegal too...ive seen many tickies past out for that

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no decibel limit ??? :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I think it's either 80 or 85 Db. You would have to check what the manufacturer limits are and be the same or quieter.

I'm not saying that you have loud pipes but I will say I'm glad that they are ticketing all the guys out there with pipes and loud sleds. If you can hear them coming from 10 miles away then something is wrong. :help:

As for the Harley owners with straight pipes :frech32: :frech32: The cops need to be handing out even MORE tickets to these ass holes!! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Here's another question for henn, if I'm running pipes that are very close to stock and i get stopped do i have to comply with the request.I've heard from a couple of OPP that if I'm polite and say that I do not wish to comply and as long as I'm carrying all documents (lic,ins,trail pass) there's not much they can do.So whats the real deal? :banghead:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
My guess is if it's noticeably louder they will probably give you the ticket and you will have to fight it out later in court (their court location) if you want to.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I'm willing to bet that in most cases it's up to the discresion of the officer, so if you want to take the chance then by all means, but don't say you weren't warned before hand
Cheers, KEVO :dunno:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A freind with a F-III with stingers was fined and had to reinstall stock exhaust to get his license back (plate).

:flag_canada:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Motorized Snow Vehicles Act of Ontario outlaws modifying exhaust systems. The process is simple, either the exhaust is stock or modified. Nothing to do with decibels. A few years ago all manufacturers started stamping SAE certification on the exhaust systems to assist law enforcement agencies in verifying if exhaust systems are stock or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by bill@Oct 13 2005, 09:22 PM
A freind with a  F-III with stingers was fined and had to reinstall stock exhaust to get his license back (plate).

:flag_canada:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=928266
[/quote]

that sucks!
I saw this in the latest osm and thought it was a bit overboard. There is a definite image associated with loud vs stock. its like "performance vs. 2-upper" not that I agree with this or not but it is a common preception. I have a trail can on mine nice "BRAAAAAAAAP", but not overly loud. I'm debating going back to stock this winter, but the stock thing is a suitcase :(. I ride from a residential area with no sledheads nearby and no one has ever said anything to me. My neighbour across the street says he can't even here it and that his stock honda v-twin (harley style crusier) is louder. I and i go sledding 3-4 times a week. I lay off the throttle when close of course, but the bottom line is BRAAAP responsibly. Though its always nice to have a voice when you need to get a point across. Also if you ride agressively and you pass people now and then it gives them some warning when you cruise by. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All I have too say is ...."Remember..... Loud sleds close trails." Quebec last winter is one point in case. I love the BRAAAAAAP as much as the next....but if it comes down to closing the trails...... I can live without it. :m2c:

·
Registered
486 Posts
:wut60: Well Mr Burns: Stock Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wut60:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
In Ontariariario all modifications are illegal.
Technically, even reeds are illegal. Exhaust just gets the most attention because of the annoyance factor and it's easy to identify at trailside checkpoints.

FYI, same for cars and bikes. Ultimately your insurance coverage could be void if you have any aftermarket components installed. If you have an accident and the police throw the book at you your insurance company could hang you out to dry.

Ricers beware!

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
All modifications are not illegal in Ontario so long as they are CARB certified and it passes an emissions test. The problem is that if you do modify your vehicle you are supposed to tell your insurance company. Pretty much no one does.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I realize what the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act states, this is just another case of easy money.

My biggest beef with this issue is the fact that I can be ticketed for an "illegal" exhaust, however I can buy this "illegal" exhaust at many many locations.

Typical governement fashion, they'll collect GST from business'es on products, and they'll take my money for having "illegal" exhaust.

it's all bullshit, however I agree if they are actually the cause of closing trails, then take em off.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All right here is another one,My trucks exhaust rots I dont go back to a ford dealer I go to speedy or any muffler shop .Its after market exhaust not OEM ,but the decibles ar the same .I think I'm going to use this in court this year because if we can do this on our vehicles we shuold be able to do ths on our sleds.And don't give me this about the MSV act, it says hollywood pipes another out of date ,out of touch law.If I can buy a SLP pipe for my fusion which last years Db levels were so close to stock and SLP is going to put out these ratings ,how can a court up hold a charge .Would they be willing to set precident agaist every single muffler shop in Ontario!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was stopped and told by an opp officer that the stock muffler can be replaced with an aftermarket can as long as its not louder than the stock unit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go go STEVIE WONDER nice posts. $2000 worth of work still won't get that vibrator going any faster than the 800X. See you at the snowmoblie show friday night!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes it is true in Quebec. I was stopped pulling into a relay last winter. They had me lift my hood and then asked if it was stock or aftermark? I have a dyno port pipe and can that is with in the Decipal level. They told me it was illegal to have any aftermark muffler systems at all. They were club members and could not issue me a ticket, but right after that it appeared to me someone was going inside to call the police so I was not going to stick around and find out. It is also on the FCMQ website. I looked it up last winter after this happened.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I guess it does depend on who you get stopped by then.If its not really loud they will probably leave you alone.I have a mbrp race can on my viper and have been thru at least 5 check points and they never questioned me about it.It has a nice low tone to it at low speeds but when your on the gas its pretty loud,but i dont think its too loud.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts