Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to here just bought an assault that just arrived at my dealer looking to put igrip screws in it but looking at thé tunnel protector on thé polaris accessory catalogue it says only 1.35 cobra How can that be the only part for protection,when you can buy a ice storm that is 1,5 in as somebody studded an ice cobra 1,6 on a matryx

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
new to here just bought an assault that just arrived at my dealer looking to put igrip screws in it but looking at thé tunnel protector on thé polaris accessory catalogue it says only 1.35 cobra How can that be the only part for protection,when you can buy a ice storm that is 1,5 in as somebody studded an ice cobra 1,6 on a matryx
Yes, have studded a couple. 1.6” cobra will work fine with tunnel guards.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,908 Posts
1.3 Cobra lugs aren't big or solid enough for I-Grips
1.5 Ice Storm is a good track but buying a regular Strom track and I-Gripping it will give better traction than the Ice Storm. (( I-Grips taller w/ more penetration ))
1.6 Cobra already comes with holes for I-grips but not too many stud locations in the 1.6" Cobra.
There is also a 1.6" Ice Cobra that's Pre-Studded but just like the Ice Storm an I-Gripped 1.6" Cobra will have better grip.
** Of the 5 options I'd choose the Storm w/ I-Grips. Good Track and best for using I-Grips traction, **
(( Or if you like a bit taller lug the 1.75" Hurricane will take twice as many I-Grips. ))
Some people may say you don't need Tunnel Protectors with I-Grips but I have never risked not using them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks do i have to put the Teflon plastic on the tunnel protector look at the video of snowtrax 2021 switchback assault you see the plastic on the protector thany

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Thanks do i have to put the Teflon plastic on the tunnel protector look at the video of snowtrax 2021 switchback assault you see the plastic on the protector thany
That piece will come on them. I have a couple sets in stock for an assault if you need them or have trouble finding them.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,097 Posts
Just put the Matryx 146" tunnel protector on it. The white hyfax at the tail end comes with the kit.

The tunnel protectors need to be installed anytime you will be using a track with studs installed in it. ANY kind of metal studs.

When the Switchback 146 comes from the factory with the ICE Storm 1.5, like mine did, the tunnel protectors are already installed.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,097 Posts
My son has i-grips on his '21 AXYS Assault 850 with 1.6" stock track, and he's put over 3,000 trouble-free miles on them without any issues. He's an aggressive rider, but as you can see in the photo, his studs have not made contact with the tunnel. (The orange lines are pine needles that are hanging down.)

His AXYS has the same two white pieces of hyfax on the rear of the tunnel as yours does. He bought a stud protector kit a couple of years ago but decided not to use it. It's still in the box in my garage.
Briefly, take a look underneath the tunnel of a stock Matryx Switchback Assault 146, and you will see that it is very much different than the MY21 AXYS Assault.

You are giving misleading information to someone who has a MY21up Matryx SBA 146.

Reactions: Sledtuner360

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Briefly, take a look underneath the tunnel of a stock Matryx Switchback Assault 146, and you will see that it is very much different than the MY21 AXYS Assault.

You are giving misleading information to someone who has a MY21up Matryx SBA 146.
Sentence #1 in my reply: "My son has i-grips on his '21 AXYS Assault 850 . . . "
I got the year wrong -- it's actually a 2020.

In retrospect, I would not have posted if I had been aware of the differences between the tunnels. Based on photos and the white hyfax protectors on the top rear of both tunnels, I thought they were the same. I was wrong. Luckily this site has lots of knowledgeable Polaris guys like tooslow, jmaxdox, and Northstarrick to provide HCS members with a steady supply of correct information.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Seeing as this thread is already going looking for some input aswell. I ordered a new xcr 136 with the 1.6" cobra, rode a storm 1.5 over winter and liked the extra lug compared to my 1.325" cobra so went with the 1.6". Anyways I was throwing the idea around about the i-grips instead of studs for weight saving etc. I typically run 3 per window and was running the 1.450 gold diggers, if I went studs I would go 3 per window again, if I went I grips how many would I be able to run? In your opinion would traction be similar? My biggest concern is braking and stability in icy corners and now having the ass end swing around on me.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Traction not similar. I would tell people if you normally don’t run studs, the Igrips will bring a little bit of stability to traction. They help a little with braking, acceleration, and preventing the back end from sliding out.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Seeing as this thread is already going looking for some input aswell. I ordered a new xcr 136 with the 1.6" cobra, rode a storm 1.5 over winter and liked the extra lug compared to my 1.325" cobra so went with the 1.6". Anyways I was throwing the idea around about the i-grips instead of studs for weight saving etc. I typically run 3 per window and was running the 1.450 gold diggers, if I went studs I would go 3 per window again, if I went I grips how many would I be able to run? In your opinion would traction be similar? My biggest concern is braking and stability in icy corners and now having the ass end swing around on me.
So the problem with the 1.6” cobra is not enough spots for igrips to be added. If you can’t live without the traction push through studs give the igrips won’t satisfy you. I personally am very satisfied with either igrips or pre studded style tracks but I’m not a drag racer anymore. For trails I personally like the way my sleds handle now without push through. Plus another benefit is less chance of putting a hole in a heat exchanger. Also lighter weight, less rotating mass, and definitely less installation time. You will need tunnel guards either way.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
All the conditions / area you ride. Up here in upstate NY, we just don't get the snow we used to get. Anything over 1.25 typically results in a warm running sled and premature slider wear haha.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bought a 22 Vr1 850 at the end of this season. How many iGrips can you install in a 137 Storm track ? I purchased a pack of 200 STR24 24mm iGrips and some OEM tunnel protectors - Also did I buy the correct size iGrips or should I have gotten the longer tips ones ? This is my first time using them as I have always studded my sleds in the past - wanted to give them a try . Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts