Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be reviewing our equipment this year or next and reviewing options. We live in Alaska and have no regular access to a service dept. for shop work so dependability is important. We have a lot of powder trails and lakes/rivers to run but our elevation is low and there aren't any mountains.

What do you think about an EFI F5 or F6 along with a carbed ZR900? That would give you good trail AND lake capability. There are also alot of mods for both sleds and specifically the carbed 900...D&D comes to mind along with several other reputable shops. At this point, the F7 reliability seems to be hit and miss.

Your thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
I know the non-Cat guys would laugh at the statement of dependability. :p BUT...I think the ZR9 is going to go through some more growing pains with the new direct drive concept. If you were buying this year's sled ('03) I would have no hesitation whatsoever as the ZR is bullet proof. And with a year under its belt, the Firecat should be a damn good choice.

All sleds have their vulnerabilities.

I would think the F-cat would be great (a little biased due to owning one and having no major problems). With the bugs worked out from this year, it should be pretty solid. The ZR9 is going to be sweet if the direct drive is ok.

My .02

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know, I've had nothing, but probs w/ mine. Over 5 breakdowns in 700 miles. Considering all the R&D the firecat has over the past 5 years on the track. I'm not impressed w/ the workmanship, skis, or the suspension. I don't believe in stock parts anyways, but for the everday rider. I don't think cat has it together for the average person that just wants to jump on it and ride. Somebody help me out here. I'm really getting depressed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I rode every new model this season, rev`s and yam`s, but the F7 still out does them all, I have had no problems with mine, except for eatting a snowflap :D , I can`t wait for the 05`s to come out! :) cause by then I will be ready for new!

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I had the chance to start over and get to new machines I would have ta say...The F6 144" in the Red/Black...*very sweet*...and the other machine would be the MXZX REV 600...Both would be Spring ordered.. :) sorry guys I ride every brand....but Cat is #1 to me....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew I would get alot of "close your eyes and ears and get the F7" but that's not really the question. The Arctic Cat and particularly the F7 loyalty here is commendable...in fact it borders on fanatical which I find interesting. Having said that, I don't think the F7 in it's current status is for me. Why not? Just read the threads here as I have. When I say there is no service dept. available I mean that I'm 150 miles from being connected to an outside road that would go to a service dept. The only way I can get a machine back to the shop is to drive it down the river about 8 hrs and then trailer it 3 hrs to Fairbanks...but there's no Arctic Cat dealer in Fairbanks. That dealer is 6 hrs. south of Fairbanks in Anchorage. I just don't think the F7 is for me even though part of me wants one. The F5 and F6 seem to be much more reliable thus far and the ZR900 is fairly bulletproof...I haven't put much consideration into getting the direct drive. I'm not even sure what the purpose of that is but that's a different topic.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I'll start off by saying I dont understand how so many people on here can be so brand loyal,all the manufactures today make much better sleds than the past but,all of them have issues and all of them break.It really comes down to your style and the terrain your gonna ride on,and the color or styling of a certain sled that trips your trigger.This year I had a blast on the firecat,and will hang on to mine for quite some time,I'm sure of that.What I'm not sure about is what to buy next...so many good choices outhere,from ALL the manufacturers.They all have something good to offer.This year I'm REALLY taking a liking to the new REVEGADE 600HO SDI,this technology is ,I hope,the wave of the future for more manufactures to run with and keep the two strokes around for many years to come.Although a fourstroke isn't out of the question in my future,I'll stick to the lightweight throw around sleds while I still can throw em around.When my sitback and relax cruising days come,thats when I'll consider a fourstroke.Anyhow my two sleds of choice,IF I had to start over would be.....REVEGADE 600 ho sdi and the SNOWHAWK 600HO :D :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I would get a Ski-Doo REV 600 H.O. I just drove one for the first time yesterday, and it was a blast. Awesome feeling for ditch banging and bump riding, however, I feel the ride may not be comfortable for more than a 4 hour drive as I couldn't stretch out my legs, but I'm 6'3" and 240lbs. I may have to get one next year.
For the long trail ride I would check out the new Sabercats, or get a holdover zl600efi ss on the cheap (proven engine and chassis). It all depends on who's riding it and what they want to do with it. I was just giddy on that REV for the 1st time. Man can it handle and wack the bumps. It just felt so different and fun, and I was only on it for about 20-30 minutes and now I feel like I have to have one. I did also drive an F-5 this year but was more impressed with the REV. I love cats, but I have to be truthful. You may also want to wait a year for a Firecat or REV because there are so many bugs to be worked out on 1st year production sleds. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I have a 2000 zl 500 and zr 600. I may have to dump one and get a rev next year. It seems like a great sled to come home after work and bang around on for a couple of hours. If you want reliability, buy a Yamaha. I feel like a traitor, but I cannot overemphasized how much fun that REV was to drive. thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Personally I wouldn't ride the t660 but.... if you want reliability with a little kick, thats the one ofr ya. 4 strokes will last ya a heluva lot longer, great on gas, a little heavy so don't get it stuck in the powder just keep hammerin on her. Think about racing dirtbikes though, you have to rebuild 2-strokes every year, you don't have to on 4-strokes, you can leave them alone. I think 4-strokes will be much more reliable. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good points re: 4 strokes. I almost bought a RX-1 but backed out at the last minute. Perhaps after a year or so I'll reconsider? Maybe something like an RX1 (if proven reliable) and a F6 or REV is the way to go? Of course, all the above machines are still pretty new and unproven. It comes down to compromise and rolling the dice sometimes but I prefer to stack the deck in my favor.

Keep the comments coming please!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
T660 looks really good but I bought my wife a F7 and that thing rips. Going to get one myself in 04. I like the Rev's alot but I have always owned Cats and was never let down. I also own a Cat ATV so I guess I am pretty brand loyal.

·
Registered
986 Posts
First of all they dont make a 500 EFI. If you want EFI it would be F7s EFI & zr 900 also EFI

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got an easy one for you if you want 2 sleds that will make your blow a whole in your pants get the f7 EFI, and Polaris PRO X2, i know its not like me as a cat guy to say go for a poo but man that sled looks like every thing i ever wanted. Well other than an F6 Sno Pro EFI 1.375.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in Fairbanks, Yukon Delta and there is a Arctic Cat Dealer here. Noerthern Power Sports. Talk to Craig or Colby, The Good Guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't know that! They're not listed on the dealer list for Arctic Cat. That helps a little bit but it's still a ways from Ft. Yukon. You will know where that is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes i do. My thoughts on a sled would be a efi sled for no problem running, a carb sled to mod the crap out of. The firecat is a very good machine, i do love my f7 sno pro, yes a few teething problem's, nothing to be scared about in 04. Makes me feel like a racer! :p
I can Handle my f7 alot better than the zr I had. Good luck sled(s) you pick!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts