Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:imo: :no_bashing:
If pro racers can't use the horsepower of a 800cc mod, then how come the blair morgan want to be's can buy one and ride it on a trail.
i think the HP of sleds is getting dangersly out of control, the average idiot can't handle that much sled ( then add :drunk: )
for a trail rider 600cc is pleanty thats what i got, a friend of mine has a 800cc and in the turns and woops he can't keep up with me.
so in my opion unless you are a drag racer why do we need that much power.
:cn:

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
i agree, 500-600 cc sled is perfect for trails, ill give the execption of 700's

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
depends on the trail. tight wooded trails a 600 is more than enough, but get to high speed long rail road grades where you cruise for miles on end safely at 85 mph, then they dont cut it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It is very scary to think about. I've raced an 05 Cat 800 Mod and that thing has wicked power. Even the 06 600 Mods can get to be a handful on the track. I have a hard time trial riding anymore just for the fact of the number of people on the trail that just have absolutly no clue what they are doing with all the horsepower available to them. Manufacturers are always going to produce as big as customers want (just like cars, how many people do you think can actually handle the new 600 hspr Viper). This is why I've found a new home riding off the trail and in the powder and hills

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you had racers on 1500cc sleds with 275hp, they'ed by dying like lake flies. They limit these things for safety and in an attempt to keep costs down.[/b]
i'm not bashing racers, i think the every day consomer should not be able to have that much power

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
i'm not bashing racers, i think the every day consomer should not be able to have that much power[/b]
agree, im not going not trying to bash anybody and if it seems to i dont intend too, my first year i was on Z370 i got ran off the trail 2 times by 2 yamahas, i would say probley 600- 800's i was going as fast i could about 65 mph and i would say there were going about 90 mph. Just to tell ya there are jackasses out there with alot of high powerd sleds that cant handle them

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
i dont think its fair to act like everyone has the same riding skills. i can handle my 150hp sled better than some guys can handle their 80hp sled. i also have a buddy that can handle his R1 a lot better than i can handle my bike.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
i dont think its fair to act like everyone has the same riding skills. i can handle my 150hp sled better than some guys can handle their 80hp sled. i also have a buddy that can handle his R1 a lot better than i can handle my bike.[/b]
i know im not, some of friends probley cant handle a fan cooled 370, and they talk shit all the time, i can tell ya i cant handle a 700 cc or bigger, 600 would be a test for me

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
agree, im not going not trying to bash anybody and if it seems to i dont intend too, my first year i was on Z370 i got ran off the trail 2 times by 2 yamahas, i would say probley 600- 800's i was going as fast i could about 65 mph and i would say there were going about 90 mph. Just to tell ya there are jackasses out there with alot of high powerd sleds that cant handle them[/b]
I ride one of those high powered sleds, and I can handle is just as well as I can my 440. You don't see a need for a 130+hp sled because you don't have one, and your parents probably won't let you have one as long as your under their roof. I'll tell you one thing, there is nothing like cruising across a lake or down a nice, wide, flat railroad bed at 100mph while listening to Bach in your Mp3 player. Its really something to see knowing that when you see the speedo fly past 100mph, its for real.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Most guys with 800cc sleds don't buy the 800 for the trail, they buy it so that when they get on the lake occasionally they will beat all of their buddies on 600's.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
I ride one of those high powered sleds, and I can handle is just as well as I can my 440. You don't see a need for a 130+hp sled because you don't have one, and your parents probably won't let you have one as long as your under their roof. I'll tell you one thing, there is nothing like cruising across a lake or down a nice, wide, flat railroad bed at 100mph while listening to Bach in your Mp3 player. Its really something to see knowing that when you see the speedo fly past 100mph, its for real.[/b]
i never tryed the ipod yet, this year ill try it and ill see what i can do, maybe the music gives you the extra confidence to go faster

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
not a good idea. he probably does it to relax and just enjoy his surroundings.[/b]
oh i know my limits i dont go over 85 mph, i will take your advise and enjoy the surroundings

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
in my honest oppinion it all depends on your riding ability i know my lap times at the sno x tracks are alot faster on my 440 then on my 800 mod or my freinds 600 mod. its because i can just hold it wide open on the 440 the mods take alot more throttle controll and what not. the 800 is my freeride sled for out west and its effin awesome out there and controll able unlike on the track where my skis are always off the ground

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Some people can handle sleds beter than others. Just because you dont feel confident in your ability to go fast doesnt meen you can judge me. You say no bashing right after you bashed be.

If your going to slow on the trail than be polite and let people by. There are diffrent types of riders if your not one type than dont pre judge the other type.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
oh i know my limits i dont go over 85 mph, i will take your advise and enjoy the surroundings[/b]
i dont care for the idea of using music to get the adrenaline pumping so people can ride faster. at least its better than the "i smoke weed so everything feels like its in slow motion, so i can ride faster" type of guys.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.