Hardcore Sledder banner

If a guy was leaving on the 17th.........

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  yamahaman69 
#1 ·
some of us are leavin on the 17 of Jan. the plan was port loring, then it got changed to elk lake, now we don't know. We talked about chapleau, cochrane, timmins, or the kap. if a quy was leaving on the 17 to do some riding, where would he go?????????? ive saw a pic from chapleau a week ago, looked alright, saw some frome cochrane from new years, looked awsome! everybody sitting at home in southern ontario is gonna type"stay home, look at the snow map, dont waste your time!" but every other year ive gone up in december or january they said the trais were closed, and i got up there and had well groomed, marked and maintained traisl all to myself!! i'd like to hear what the guys north of the french river have to say!!!!!!!! any pic would be awsome, everyone in southern ontario is getting a little tense!!!!!! we just got 1.5 inches lastnight and i thing i'm going to the hay field to do some test runs!!
THANKS

#2 ·
some of us are leavin on the 17 of Jan. the plan was port loring, then it got changed to elk lake, now we don't know. We talked about chapleau, cochrane, timmins, or the kap. if a quy was leaving on the 17 to do some riding, where would he go?????????? ive saw a pic from chapleau a week ago, looked alright, saw some frome cochrane from new years, looked awsome! everybody sitting at home in southern ontario is gonna type"stay home, look at the snow map, dont waste your time!" but every other year ive gone up in december or january they said the trais were closed, and i got up there and had well groomed, marked and maintained traisl all to myself!! i'd like to hear what the guys north of the french river have to say!!!!!!!! any pic would be awsome, everyone in southern ontario is getting a little tense!!!!!! we just got 1.5 inches lastnight and i thing i'm going to the hay field to do some test runs!!
THANKS[/b]

just got off the phone with my buddy in Cobalt and he said they have nothing up there. Woke up to a few inches this morning but that's it. Said the groomers have not been out anywhere, even up in Cochrane because the bogs and marshes have not frozen enough to safely cross. Add to that fact there has been no real snow and it doesn't look too promising. I'm heading up on the 25th, so I have my fingers crossed too. :banghead:

#4 ·
Bigtwin, I'm planning something that weekend also. As of right now we are looking and keeping our fingers crossed for Wawa or Chapleau.
I agree with you, lastyear everyone said Bancroft was no good but when we got there it was great. Sorry I was no help and if I hear
something I'll post it!

#5 ·
just got off the phone with New Liskeard.... they just got some and more is on the way, but not enough for the groomers to get out, especially if it gets warm again with all the creeks and swamps still wide open...

I'd head up towards sudbury and north. You should find good riding around chapleau area I would think by then.... looks like the best riding right now is there and the forecast doesn't show a warm up for that area. :div20:

#7 ·
Looking at the snow map the only place there is any good snow cover is in the far north west corner of the province. I don't think there are any trails in that area.

:flag_canada:

#9 ·
Seriously....I would head to Cochrane. Looking around, I think the area will be set up nicely by then. There's plenty of ice, cold weather and snow days in the forecast. Even 2cm per day will set us up nicely over a week - 10 days.

We have a trip planned to Cochrane on the 25th and as long as it stays below +1C it's starting to look good.

Billy's idea is always a great "Plan B"! :buttrock:

#12 ·
We have about 10" of snow on the ground up here in Manitouwadge. The logging roads are pretty good for riding but definitely no grooming happening around here. The lakes are great lots of ice, we went out for a spin on Sunday it was good going just cant play around but can certainly make it from here to Hillsport. There's a cold front coming in though so you may want to look at the weather channel its about -17 C tonight and getting cooler -really not that bad for us northerners. Ill keep you posted if things change -like a big snowstorm of something wishful thinking

#14 ·
To early to make decisions. I would wait till the 15th maybe even the 16th and then call around to see who's open and the conditions. Find your best report and go there. Like previously mentioned Michigan's U.P. is a good spot for the guys close to the border. I would recommend Grand Marias or if you really want to drive Lake Gogebic. In the Lower Pennisula the Manistee National Forest holds snow very well. It is located just west of Cadillac on M-55. I know Michigan will have really good trails to drive. You just have to watch the weather and get there before everybody else does! It will be very busy. If trails and weather hold up I am heading Michigan way next week for some mid week riding!

#15 ·
hey boys iam live in cochrane GROOMED TRAILS!!!! NICE !!!! i think pretty much the whole area is groomed it is not that bad i was hiting the trails at 50 mph soo.... come by.....by the 15th their should be more snow lol but its nice i have got 800km on my sled this year ride everyday to school. yah. here is a link

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/c...es/CAON0153.htm here you just check the site daily...... if you come buy cochrane look out for a white phazer with red skies its me...... alwayz ridin...... lol c ya later

#17 ·
Show us some pics please.
When did they start grooming?
I heard folks were riding but no grooming had been done yet.
I'm thinking about going back up at the end of the month.
No set date yet but I'm sure they'll have some trails open and more snow by then.

#20 ·
Thanks for the onfo update Gage.
I also hear that they are fooding the Fredrickhouse river that the "A" trail crosses to SmoothRockFalls. Not sure of the safety status of the rivers yet but with the cold temps. it won't take long. Lets hope the cold is here to stay for the rest of the winter.

#24 ·
Thanks for the onfo update Gage.
I also hear that they are fooding the Fredrickhouse river that the "A" trail crosses to SmoothRockFalls. Not sure of the safety status of the rivers yet but with the cold temps. it won't take long. Lets hope the cold is here to stay for the rest of the winter.[/b]
Hey Fraz
The Fredrickhouse is wide open water, so is the Abitibi but there are ways around those crossings. Trails have some rough sections but not bad at all. Found a few spots were there was almost 2 feet. Groomers are out in full force today, Ran into Norm Zav grooming between Cochrane & Tunis this morning. We Managed to put 236 k today and may head back out for a little night ride later. Riding to Timmins in the morning to meet up with Ray.
Everything should be 100% up here next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.