Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an idler wheel bearing go today.. Luckily Jane saw the wheel come out and I picked it up so I only need the bearing, not the wheel itself. Tried a couple of dealers nearby..Can you believe they don't have the damn bearings in stock??? In the past I've used auto equivalents. Anyone know a part number?

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Not sure what the equivelant is, but if you pull the other one off and bring it into an implement dealer (John Deere supposedly makes the best, from my riding buddies of last week in the up anyway) they should be able to line you up with one. Hope this helps. How many miles before it went?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by zl5600@Feb 25 2003, 05:54 PM
Not sure what the equivelant is, but if you pull the other one off and bring it into an implement dealer (John Deere supposedly makes the best, from my riding buddies of last week in the up anyway) they should be able to line you up with one. Hope this helps. How many miles before it went?
thanks, that's what I was planning on doing tomorrow morning..

I think the thaw, and then fast freeze (today's high was again below zero) was what did it. One other idler is just about had also. The bearings are smaller than what I've seen before. I've got ~5400 or so on now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I ussally take mine to bearing service. I am sure you have a bearing place there. I take a good bearing in so they can measure it or cross refreance the #'s the bearings.The bearings I ussally get at bearing service seem to be of better quality than the factorys, and they cost less also. you take out the middle man and stuff is cheaper. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Feb 25 2003, 05:47 PM
Had an idler wheel bearing go today.. Luckily Jane saw the wheel come out and I picked it up so I only need the bearing, not the wheel itself. Tried a couple of dealers nearby..Can you believe they don't have the damn bearings in stock??? In the past I've used auto equivalents. Anyone know a part number?
my bet is its a 6004.2rs bearing but if you want to measure it let me know and ill tell you the part number. bore, width and diameter...the two usuals are 6004 for idlers and 6204 for the rears as far back as i can remember...steve ( industrial mechanic knows his bearings )...oh the rs means rubber seals...the steel ones dont last too long on a sled :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
should be 6004's
6004 's are for 20mm dia. shaft x 42mm OD
very common bearing

usually if you can look in the back of a bearing book (at the parts store) it will list all the bearings by dimensions. Find one that's close and see if they have that in stock.

You could call McMaster-Carr in CA and they could ship one now. You'll have it tomorrow

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
something from arctic cat out of stock? i dont believe you rob!
like the taillight for my 02 440 sno-pro ordered in november and still not in!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Auto parts stores or a place that rebuilds elctrical equipment [ ie. starters and alternators ] usually stocks these bearings. I buy mine by the sleeve of 10 fron D+S electric in Lebenon N.H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are different than the bearings used in other Cat's idler wheels.. Thinner, and they cost more. I got two at the local Auto parts store... Number is 104CC. Damn things cost $17each. I got two because I found a second wheel was nearly seized up also. Normally I don't have to replace idler wheels this early..

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Found a bad one at 1500 miles, damn Cat had to go and change the size, oh well, fixed it and actually left out the pair of idlers, plenty of snow cover where I ride, so idlers will stay out til spring riding.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Rob,

Try an industrial bearing supplier. I don't know the names for the ones in the USA. In Canada it is Canadian Bearings. They are usally 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i've got 2100 miles on my f7 sno pro and have replaced three idler wheels and bearings so far. but they have all benn under warr. so can't complain!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts