Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for constructive ideas that will raise money for Maine Clubs to better be able to maintain their Trail Systems. I'm hoping to hear from Clubs, Riders and Polititions. Some have said that NH trails are better maintained because they pay an extra $20 more than we do here in Maine. Should we raise our Registration Fee's? Should we make it mandatory to join a club of your choice? I'm personally a member of M.S.A and 4 clubs in areas I frequently ride in. ((Rumford, Roxbury, Newry and Rangeley.)) So I for one don't at all mind throwing some extra money at helping our Clubs keep our trails in good shape. Grooming is expensive and not the only part of the expenses that come from properly maintaining our systems here in Maine. I beleive Volunteers should be compensated for their time. Grooming is a Winter expense as we know BUT Bridges need maintenance, Tree's branches, brush, etc. need to be taken care of. Much of this work can be done in the off season and if more money was available you would see more done. Maybe some perc's for landowners that volunteer to let us use their property?? I'm open to hearing EVERYBODY'S opinions and ideas. Please do weigh in with your thoughts.
LET'S STICK TOGETHER, MAKE A PETITION OR START A MOVEMENT. We can ALL benefit from a better trail system state wide. Certain areas have seen businesses thrive from snowmobiling. I beleive more businesses could also prosper from better trail systems. We all know areas that have become the popular destinations for riders. If more money was put into some of the areas that weren't so popular we could develope a wider spanse of Good trail systems to spread out some of the pressure on these popular riding areas. More businesses could prosper, more riders, more miles, more money to go around!! Get involved, lets here your thoughts. :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am hoping we can come up with some other ideas than the over discussed raising the registration fee or mandatory club joining. These have been beat to death.

1. Years that southern Maine does not have enough snow to groom, there is a way for them to distribute SOME of the money they recieve to the clubs that are grooming late into the season
2. A better MSA website with snow cams conditions a forum etc and charge for advertising on that site? Vendors could get their businesses out there like the mats at a resteraunt you eat at. The website would have to offer more in order to be able to charge any real money for this.
a. Ways to donate (Paypal, Credit Card) to certain clubs online. Easy to do and you dont have to have cash on you so maybe more likely to donate before you go ride their trails?
3. I am not sure how it works sorry, but what about businesses donating to an area they are in. Maybe offer some sort of commercial membership to a club and offer special signage or advertising for those businesses
4. Do we pay the MSA people? Maybe we could look for volunteers in their place and more money would go to the clubs?

These are just suggestions please dont flame if the are already in place or not practical. I was multi tasking at work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
"I am hoping we can come up with some other ideas than the over discussed raising the registration fee or mandatory club joining."

I sorry but the single best way to raise substantial additional money for clubs is to require membership to a club. My understanding was that Bob Meyers of the MSA was NOT in favor of this. Until MSA (our voice) supports this it will never happen.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have a $25 trail pass that is mandatory to ride ITS trails in addition to current registration. This solves the problem of all the guys that say they only ice fish and it's still cheaper to ride than anywhere else.
In addition to that we should have GPS trackers in every groomer that gets State money and clubs should be paid by the mile for what they groom. I think we would have more than enough money by doing it this way that we could raise the amounts paid out for capital equipment grants so clubs wouldn't have to rely as much on municipal and club grants to make their groomer payments. Bottom line...if you ride the trail you pay and if you groom the trail you get paid.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i think more people should take part in doing there part in grooming. instead of hardcoresledding all the time build a drag you can drag behind your sled spend an hour dragging trails near your house if more people did that would make a big difference .i made this small drag up. works great only drag a mile or so near my but makes a big difference on hi traffic days .and i use plastic culvert pipe with a log in it to pack fresh powder down ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Scrap the Augusta show and start an MSA sponsored event similar to Epping that takes place in late August or early September that avoids conflicting with Hayday's. I know it would take a ton of resources and time to grow into any resemblance of the Race into Winter event but it would be profitable for the MSA and could be a profit sharing opportunity for the clubs that get involved. I think you would find most of the vendors would welcome a new event. Not to mention we are dying to see more high level races.

·
Premium Member
6,934 Posts
Good suggestions so far :thumbsup: keep up the good input.

My/site intent is to see this thread stay on topic, if someone gets out of line, "report this post" button is 3rd from left option under someone's avatar on the post in question, with a brief description, and it comes across our plate to deal with.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
This group is trying like hell to get something going for the club along with grooming but need our (Mainers) support with the Sled Maine plate.

/GROOM.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have a $25 trail pass that is mandatory to ride ITS trails in addition to current registration. This solves the problem of all the guys that say they only ice fish and it's still cheaper to ride than anywhere else.
In addition to that we should have GPS trackers in every groomer that gets State money and clubs should be paid by the mile for what they groom. I think we would have more than enough money by doing it this way that we could raise the amounts paid out for capital equipment grants so clubs wouldn't have to rely as much on municipal and club grants to make their groomer payments. Bottom line...if you ride the trail you pay and if you groom the trail you get paid.

Great idea IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On a smaller level, during big weekends maybe setup a "toll" type of setup that accepts donations. A lot of fire departments and special Olympics type of operations do that here in maine - Put a sign up, have people standing on each side of the traffic, accept a donation (give a sticker) and move on. Easy way to collect a few bucks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lake Parlin, I am not in the business; just a consumer, but I have been recommending for years in the annual late March threads about using GPS devices on the drags. The money would be pooled, theoretically earning interest and would be paid via wire transfer. The money would go where the grooming was happening. The money should be set aside and not be capable of being raided by the Civil Servant Labor Organizer/Democrat party. I think Mainers would get behind a rise in registration fees if they knew for sure it was being put to good use and the criminals couldn't get at it.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Some have said that NH trails are better maintained

Aside from Pittsburg, which has paid, full time employee groomer operators (and maybe Swift Diamond?? Not sure...), the grooming can be spotty. If you came along with me on a 100 mile tour of central NH, on the best of possible days you will hit 50% of very well groomed trails. There is only one reason why- dedicated volunteers. No money in the world is going to do any good without dedicated volunteers. The clubs with good grooming and well maintained systems have volunteers that help raise money in the summer, clear trails in the fall, and groom regularly in winter. It's a simple equation.

Everyone here is coming up with ways to raise money, and yes grooming and trail maintenance takes money, but it's volunteers that clear and groom the trails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Does Maine registration siphon money off the state's gas tax?

For example here in Wisconsin we buy a two-year registration for $30. But that registration also takes 50 gallons per year worth of state fuel tax out of the general transportation fund and diverts it to the trails (.329 X 50 = $ 16.45.) Effectively every $30 sticker brings an extra $33 with it from the DOT's fund.

·
Registered
93 Posts
All sleds should have at least An 1 1/2 inch lug track, no shorter than 136 " long. This would eliminate alot of the bumps. We need new blood in the M.S.A. offices.

·
Registered
421 Posts
All sleds should have at least An 1 1/2 inch lug track, no shorter than 136 " long. This would eliminate alot of the bumps. We need new blood in the M.S.A. offices.
Longer tracks won't fix bumps. Go out west and see what the trails are like near the hotels. All mountain sleds on them all day long and they get moguled just like any other trail you've seen.

·
Registered
327 Posts
First thing i would like to see is that silly waste of money MSA newspaper cancled.
I can only imagine the money that is wasted on printing and mailing that thing.
Move all MSA info to a website with paid advertising.

The guys running the MSA get paid to run it.
In return for that payment they should be in constant contact with the clubs and posting updated trail reports for the entire state on a day to day basis.

When not contacting the clubs for info and updating the website they can make phonecalls to businesses and sell adyertising on the MSA site.
Advertisers would be given the opportunity to select where thier money goes (by area or county) or if they dont want to choose they can pass on that option and let the MSA decide.

They could partner with the state and print up all the website info on the backside of each and every registration so everyone that registers in maine is aware of the new MSA site and what it has to offer.

On the same site they could also set up a system for donations so anyone at anytime could donate.

They could hit up the sled manufacturers or even local dealers each for sleds. Quads, motorcycles, accessories clothing etc etc that could be raffeled off monthly to keep people interested and returning to the site.
Raffel a new pair of motor fist stomper boots. Or a helmet For 2 bucks a chance Winner selects his size.
Who wouldn't enter that?
Raffel off a sled at 10 bucks a chance.
with a few hundred thousand registered sledders following weekly raffels of great gear,sleds accessories. Plus advertisers advertising, and the eliminated cost of the newspaper and mailings, I can see money just piling in.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I wouldnt blink at mandatory club membership fees and raising the club fee to $50. (On top of the reg fee)

I know many of us belong to multiple clubs annually anyway....and it would force the freeloaders to put more money directly into the pot.

Think of what it costs to spend 2 days in Disneyland....and consider our trail use is unlimited. Its pennies in comparison. Best money I spend all year.

There may be a few "I only sled twice a year for ice fishing" folks that thinks its too much. Its not. The volunteer time and equipment cost of groomers and fuel is astronomical.

The money required to groom being there for the volunteers to use should be automatic and without question. Fundraisers are nice...but the only fair way is increasing the cost to riders....like it or not.

Your milage may vary.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts