Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem is, as everyone knows, the heat exchanger melts the snow and it runs out from under the seat. Rob's fix at the link below fixes one source of water entry, that coming from below. The other source of snow/water is coming from under the snow flap! Refer to Robs picture #2 or #3 and you will see on the right side of the picture where the tunnel and piece of plastic that hold the light and flap meet. This is where the water gets in and it comes out on top of the heat exchanger.
1) Remove the snow flap and the seat.
2) From the back of the sled look under the plastic and you will see the top of the heat exchanger and, if its like mine, a gap right through to the seat.
3) From the top of the sled, silicone the gap after doing Robs fix.
4) Don't forget the 2 holes where the tunnel bends.
This should do it!

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/firecat_tip...e_fix/index.htm

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
That will not solve the problem....The problem is that snow get on the gap between the tail light and seat ( the part of heat exchanger that is showing) and the snow melts turning to water and leaks down. Once your sled shut off and the heat exchanger cools...the water freezes where it was dripping or running off..which is the sides of the tunnel. If you want to fix this problem tape some tape or a towel or something like that and put it on top of the heat exchanger and then put your seat back on top of it. You will be fine after this. Re-sealing the heat ex-changer will do nothing!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ryan001,

So what there needs to be is some sort of seal/weatherstrip or something like that for the bottom of the seat(especially in the rear) that would not allow snow/water to run under the seat from the exposed part of the tunnel/heat exchanger..??

Your logic/theory of where alote of the ice/water is coming from makes perfect sence to me.
-John

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

if you are talking about that gap then dont waste your time siliconing it. been there done that and it has zero effect on the icing up. if you are talking about a different location then please be more specific.

oh and i am still not sure if it aint coming from under the gas tank. the little void under the tank where the wiring comes from on mine was packed solid with ice so cat is lookin at possible wiring problems because the taillight harness on mine was completely iced over.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You have to cover your whole heat exchanger..or make some sort of seal on the back of your seat so no water or snow can get under the seat. I did it to mine and this problem never happens anymore.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Otterbob,
I think its a combination of openings that allow snow to melt on the heat exchanger. By sealing up the area you pointed to in your picture it keeps the track from blowing snow past the flap between the light and the tunnel. Once the snow melts on the heat exchanger under the black plastic it runs under the seat. Ryan is right about the gap on the tunnel between the seat and the plastic being the culprit, but I think it's getting there from under the flap. I could see laying a big bead of silicone under the back of the seat on the tunnel, then covering the silicone with plastic wrap(to keep the silicone from sticking to the seat) and putting the seat back on.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I dont mean to bring up this topic from the dead, but after looking at the post and at my sled i am not sure where to seal it... There is foam on the tunnel but im not sure if i have to take that off or what?.. If someone could tell me where in the pictures to put the silicone i would appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
A couple more..

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
remove seat and install weather stripping (the good rubberized stuff) along the back edge were it meets the tunnel. thats it problem solved. I think in 04-05 cat started running the plastic of the rear bumper up to the seat so the bare tunnel was not exposed so you could also purchase this.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
This is on an 05 F7 SnoPro..

·
Registered
243 Posts
A couple more..[/b]
i took my rear flap and bumber right off, then i ran atv sealant all along the exchanger at the back you will notice there are gaps where the exchanger meets the tunnel, then i put weatherstrip all along were the bumber would meet the tunnel installed the bumber and then ran weatherstrip along the side where the seat sits and again where the seat meets the bumber and silconed all the seams then put the seat back on hopefully this will do it have to wait till wednesday to try it out. what a dam stupid problem to have last weekend when i was out we were on a long ride and the ice got so bad it pushed my licence plate out and bent it. HOPE this helps.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I still am kind of lost on where to seal, i was thinking of putting weatherstripping all around the edge of the tunnel where the seat sits on the outside maybe that will block it all?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I still am kind of lost on where to seal, i was thinking of putting weatherstripping all around the edge of the tunnel where the seat sits on the outside maybe that will block it all?[/b]
Best advice I have seen regarding this problem is to put a trouble light in the tunnel above the track, Dim the lights in your garage and stand above the sled. Any light that comes through the tunnel around the heat exchanger seal it up.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts