Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 2002 zr800 efi cc le yesterday , and it was WAY>>>> below zero with the windchill. My guess when your moving on the sled would be 20 below at least. Any how The trails were Mint , and I didn''t care about the temps becase the trails were so good. I got out about 10 miles and it started to bog.I turned around , and it became more frequent .It was just like it was running out of gas. I would have to burp it severely just to keep it going. It finally died near my trailer.Good thing I turned around when I did.I had a full bottle of iso in the full fuel tank before I left. When I got home it started up and seemed to run ok.My sled like a lot of other efi machines has the notorious bog when you hit it hard.I wasn''t running in any powder , just smooth trails ,So there was no snow injestion. I was wondering if this was a smart valve issue ? Would they freeze even with a full bottle of iso ? I saw no frozen fuel lines, And it was decently warm and dry inside engine compartment. I would appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions as to what possibly may have froze. Hope I provided enough info based on symptoms. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Jim !

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jim, I have a 02 zr600, Had the same thing happen( except I was in Canada ,-25F and 200 miles from the trailer!!!) about every 10 miles or so.Was not fun !! We had to fish the smart valve out of the tank and tap it, seemed like the screen was freezing over and sucking the diaphram shut stalling the engine. As soon as we tap it and open the diaphram ,sled would run fine for about 10 miles then it would start all over again. As the sun went down it started to stall about every mile. So I cut a 3/4" slit in the screen.(didn't want to do that because of dirt.) but was out of ideas and didn't want to pulled in by my bro-inlaws yami. Ran great to the hotel we where headed to and then the 140 miles back to the trailer. i have it at the dealer's now hopefully I will get them replaced!!!! Yes I was using iso !!!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DPDoug
Thanks for your advice.Glad you made it back without having to be towed. I had my smart valve replaced and new fuel put in the tank. When mine died , I was alone ,and I didn't see any one on the trails because it was so cold out, also it was a weekday. It was really a blessing that it died in the center of a town that was about 5 miles from my trailer. I went into the only restaurant in the town and there was one guy in there about 80 years old . I bought him lunch , shot the shit with him while he ate his meal, and he gave me a ride to my truck and helped me get the sled in the trailer !! As bad as it was I 'm glad I wasn't further into the woods, I'd probly still be walking back !! LOL.
Thanks again for your help I appreciate it.
Jim !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts