Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
As I mentioned I drilled eye bolts through my rails and hook the dura flex in the eye bolts when not in use, works great.
Nice idler wheel set up Jim

Registered
The newer rails do need some modification to run spring scratchers. The main issue is wheel location. If you can keep the front set of idlers, it helps with wear in that area. I've also moved and added wheels inside the rails toward the back. It's pretty easy.
The spring style do work best for high speeds. Be careful if you run high speeds though. They tend to chatter and cause wear on the mount and the rail where the clip is located. I try not to run them unless totally needed. I also need to wire them to the rails so they don't come unhooked.
It's funny that you guys mention the backing up issue. It's not a big deal for me. I'm fricking checking the things all the time because of the problems they cause if they get deployed.
I hate scratchers. I've said it plenty of times. They are a wear item that causes other wear. More money and time down the tubes.
As a side note, some of these sleds just plain run too hot. Some run good. I've swapped tracks, water pumps, thermostats, added larger flaps, lowered the suspension, and made molded deflectors. I had a couple of 800 sleds that just plain had to go down the road. I had a 15, 17, and 19 that never did run cool. The 17 and 19 had a ton of different tweeks as mentioned earlier. They didn't work without adding scratchers. Pre 2015 models all ran fine temps. I also had a 16, 17, 18, 20, and 21 that ran good temps without scratchers.
It's a total crapshoot trying to guess which one will run good. I do see a bit of correlation to fuel consumption, but it hasn't been 100% either. The 17, 19, and 21 sipped fuel compared to the other sleds, but the 21 ran cool? I've also seen about the same level of comparison in regards to engine life. I've lost more motors since starting the cooling battles, but once again it isn't 100% related to hot running sleds.

Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
As mentioned, I have run both of my 7000 and 6000 without scratchers and outside of running on very hard packed trails I have not had any overheating issues. I run them down 100% of the time now only because I like all of the snow build up in the suspension to save me hyfax. I have seen the temps rise with them down on well groomed trails. Fellow members told me that the front heat exchanger will get ice built up from the snow dusting of the scratchers. They said that when you hit a module (bump) it will knock the ice off the exchanger and start cooling again.
Seems logical

81 - 83 of 83 Posts