Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I wore down my ibexx scratchers in the Granite State. I emailed Ibexx snd explained to them it was user abuse by me. They said they would repair them for free. They sent me brand new ones
That's amazing customer service. I had a pair of Duraflex carbides break off and even showed them pics with the stem still in the cable end on both and they said they wouldn't warrant them because they couldn't tell if they were defective or abuse. I'm not sure how you can abuse a scratcher that's designed to be dragged on the trail for miles but that's what they told me. I'll look at Ibexx next.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's amazing customer service. I had a pair of Duraflex carbides break off and even showed them pics with the stem still in the cable end on both and they said they wouldn't warrant them because they couldn't tell if they were defective or abuse. I'm not sure how you can abuse a scratcher that's designed to be dragged on the trail for miles but that's what they told me. I'll look at Ibexx next.
I mentioned earlier that on our last trip, which was basically pure ice, I broke one of my spi/skidoo scratchers, and my bud broke both of his ibexx ones. Ibexx replaced his also. They mentioned they were working on a different design for trail sleds, and I think they were going to send that to him instead. I think they determined the "arm" doesn't need to be as long for hard pack trail riding compared to mountain sleds, and the shorter one would be more durable. But I agree Ibexx had great customer service.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The idea of using a shorter "arm" makes sense. One of the main problems with scratchers on trail sleds is high speed. Anything with high pressure gets flung around too much at speed. They will fail quickly. I haven't found anything that will last with high speed riding.
I tuck scratchers unless they are needed. Every once and awhile they come unhooked. Amazing how fast they are junk and the skid is hammered with debris. I've tried a lot of different hangers and have gotten used to checking them all the time. I currently carry a small spool of wire to tie them up so they stay tucked until needed. High speed and scratchers is a waste of time and money with the current options.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had great luck with duraflex scratchers. When the ends wear out, I just get a long 3/8" bolt, cut the head off, heat with map gas and bend it on my metal table. Works great for at least a year.

Has anyone seen a scratcher that works on the alpha/riot monorail that is safe for reverse on trail? I had an alpha and ordering a new riot x and the alpha scratchers work great but I just had to always remember to store them before reversing on trail. Thinking about modifying the stock monorail scratchers with an extra coil loop like I see on the skidoos. Maybe someone already came up with a good idea that is plug and play.

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
I have had great luck with duraflex scratchers. When the ends wear out, I just get a long 3/8" bolt, cut the head off, heat with map gas and bend it on my metal table. Works great for at least a year.

Good to know....thanks

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts

Has anyone seen a scratcher that works on the alpha/riot monorail that is safe for reverse on trail? I had an alpha and ordering a new riot x and the alpha scratchers work great but I just had to always remember to store them before reversing on trail. Thinking about modifying the stock monorail scratchers with an extra coil loop like I see on the skidoos. Maybe someone already came up with a good idea that is plug and play.
I tried Duraflex scratchers. They were shot within 5 miles.
Like favoritos says, speed and scratchers don't mix

Reactions: favoritos

·
Registered
2006 Polaris Fusion 600, 2021 Arctic Cat Norseman 8000X
486 Posts
What are the stock scratchers AC puts on their sleds? Are they worth a damn or should I swap them out now?

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
Dura flex are what my Cat dealer put on my 6000

·
Registered
2006 Polaris Fusion 600, 2021 Arctic Cat Norseman 8000X
486 Posts
I've never ran scratchers before as the Norseman is my first long track sled. Yeah, dealer told me not to reverse with them. He said I'll be lucky to get a season out of them depending on how much I ride.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
I've never ran scratchers before as the Norseman is my first long track sled. Yeah, dealer told me not to reverse with them. He said I'll be lucky to get a season out of them depending on how much I ride.
The stock AC scratchers actually work good.
Problem is you forget they are down, back up and then they're sticking out the side of the sled.
They easily bend back into place. They are a lot cheaper and easily replaced

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
I have them on my 2018 and they look brand new. Always down btw. Duraflex.
Yeah I know they work for some but...
Late season I knew we were going to have problems with hard froze snow due to warm temps earlier in the week so I ordered a set for myself and my dad's sled.
Installed on mine and we left for the morning across a lake cruising 80.
5 miles later they were sticking straight out the sled an beat the hell out of my running boards and boogie wheels
Speed kills em

AC scratchers are they best I have come across but they are ugly and you can not back up with them

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I know they work for some but...
Late season I knew we were going to have problems with hard froze snow due to warm temps earlier in the week so I ordered a set for myself and my dad's sled.
5 miles later they were sticking straight out the sled an beat the hell out of my running boards and boogie wheels
Speed kills em

AC scratchers are they best I have come across but they are ugly and you can not back up with them
For your duraflex - did they spin on their mounts or did the cables just not have enough force to keep them down on the ground?

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
For your duraflex - did they spin on their mounts or did the cables just not have enough force to keep them down on the ground?
They did not spin. They would make contact with the snow and whip all around.
They were mounted correctly.

As mentioned earlier I bought 2 sets.
The first set was shot after 5 miles
We mounted one of the second set on my sled the other on dads sled
By the end of the weekend (500 miles) both were pointing straight out and would not contact the snow

·
Registered
79 Posts
They did not spin. They would make contact with the snow and whip all around.
They were mounted correctly.

As mentioned earlier I bought 2 sets.
The first set was shot after 5 miles
We mounted one of the second set on my sled the other on dads sled
By the end of the weekend (500 miles) both were pointing straight out and would not contact the snow
Thanks - that answered my question. Was wondering if it was an issue with the mounts or how they work. Sounds like it's not the mounts.

Guy I ride with has them but his rails are aluminum/non-painted, so I don't think we'd see if they were hitting them.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
Reactions: favoritos

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I had mine mounted same location except I did not have the hangers.

When I sold my sled I could not sell with the beat up boogies so I took them off my new sled and installed on the old sled

View attachment 2121116
Mind you I don't run 80 mph on ice since I am not studded but that pic is from after this winter. Never got close to my idlers. Those hangers are Awesome! This sled is much better than my 2018 in less than ideal conditions as well. Maybe have them down about 15% of the time but that is only on ice covered trails. Just to get to the better trails.

·
Registered
2017 ZR 9000 LTD
622 Posts
Speed kills em

I use Cat scratchers. I disagree with the statement that they are ugly. I think they hide the best when not in use and stowed up on the rail. They stay fairly tight to the rail and blend in if you have black rails. They don’t stick out past the track edge when stowed. Those cable ones are the ugly ones. When stored they stick out like Dumbo ears.

They are also great at high speed too, but just don’t back up. I usually only need mine in the spring and remove my outside idler then to install them in the factory location. Not much extra wear on sliders when the idler is removed. All my wear is at the back of my sliders anyways.

Do the newer rails with the extra outside idlers even have the location in the rails still for the Cat scratchers?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts