Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I did IBEXX on my 137” last year, this was their previous design. Think it required 1 new hole and 1 existing hole getting enlarged. Only did the throttle side. Worked awesome. Thinking I’ll do the SPI (DOO) scratchers this time around.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I did IBEXX on my 137” last year, this was their previous design. Think it required 1 new hole and 1 existing hole getting enlarged. Only did the throttle side. Worked awesome. Thinking I’ll do the SPI (DOO) scratchers this time around. View attachment 2115593
If they had carbide replaceable tips, it would be perfect. Since they do not, I have to go duroflex. Personal opinion of course.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
If they had carbide replaceable tips, it would be perfect. Since they do not, I have to go duroflex. Personal opinion of course.
I’d replace multiple springs on these before going with any wire rope style scratcher (have their place in the workbench). Fool proof and lots of down pressure. Just running the single scratcher would bring it back to 104 in shitty snow, and I had a temperamental RR in marginal conditions.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I’d replace multiple springs on these before going with any wire rope style scratcher (have their place in the workbench). Fool proof and lots of down pressure. Just running the single scratcher would bring it back to 104 in shitty snow, and I had a temperamental RR in marginal conditions.
Euro's keep my temps in worst conditions to 100-105. Never have had any issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To follow up on this, I ended up with the spi/ski doo ones and another guy I ride with went with the ibexx ones. Rode in some poor conditions in March after the rain in the UP. I broke one and he broke both of his. I'm not sure if I'll try again or go a different direction. He had duraflex in the past and had good luck with them, but I've also heard a lot of people complaining about beat up rails from them or not getting enough downforce. His rails weren't painted so wouldn't have any paint to chip off but mine are.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I use the duraflex scratchers... I had two pair from RSI? They were black. Used them about 6000 miles before the broke off. They don't have the down pressure, but not sure you really need that unless riding on glare ice.
I have the duraflex brand on my wife's sled. They are way better than the RSI. Don't hold a "set" and seem to be stiffer.
We both have black rails and they WILL scratch them... I wrapped the ends of the scratchers with electrical tape and that helped a lot. You have to replace the tape now and then.
None of them are perfect... Cat needs to change something because the other two don't overheat nearly as fast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use the duraflex scratchers... I had two pair from RSI? They were black. Used them about 6000 miles before the broke off. They don't have the down pressure, but not sure you really need that unless riding on glare ice.
I have the duraflex brand on my wife's sled. They are way better than the RSI. Don't hold a "set" and seem to be stiffer.
We both have black rails and they WILL scratch them... I wrapped the ends of the scratchers with electrical tape and that helped a lot. You have to replace the tape now and then.
None of them are perfect... Cat needs to change something because the other two don't overheat nearly as fast.
Do they scratch when you have them down or from hooking them on the rail? I think I'd get some kind of hook to hold them up when I don't need them. But I'm wondering if they snap back and scratch the rails while in use.

Don't know much about Doo but Polaris has had cooling issues too, unless it's been improved on the newer ones.

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
Mine have eyelet bolts drilled thru the rails. The duraflex scratcher tips hook into the eyelets when not in use, works great as does the duraflex scratchers

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I saw this on YouTube, looks like a great set up. I often wondered if the snow dust made it back to the track and up into the heat exchangers
It does cool down my 2020 ZR 8000. My son has same sled without scratchers and when I use them my tunnel/track area has a lot more snow then his.

I have noticed dents in my plastic belly pan from rocks/ice hitting the plastic. Guys following me mentioned that they spray a lot of chunks so they don't like to pass :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Do they scratch when you have them down or from hooking them on the rail? I think I'd get some kind of hook to hold them up when I don't need them. But I'm wondering if they snap back and scratch the rails while in use.

Don't know much about Doo but Polaris has had cooling issues too, unless it's been improved on the newer ones.
Yes.. they throw plenty of snow. Now if you're out on a frozen lake with zero snowcover, they are not so good.

After riding 850 RMK's out west, I would say Polaris has very little issues cooling. The 600 RMKs we rented didn't even have scratchers installed. We used them on the 850s just a little bit - 155's with 2.6" lugs. So i would imagine the trail sleds are pretty good.

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
I ride with a guy that has a 2004 Ski-Doo SS500 and he does not use scratchers. Even on hard packed trails his engine does not over heat. Kind of makes me wonder if the other manufactures have a better water pump/thermostat set up than Cat. Although I have run both of my sleds ZR6000 and ZR7000 with the scratchers up on questionable trails without issue.
I run them now even if the trails are mint because I like all of the snow build up on the sliders and heat exchangers

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use Dura-Flex, run them down all the time, it just keeps the temps down. But the biggest advantage is that you don't have to change your sliders. I put 10k miles on my last sled, never changed the sliders. I have 6k miles on my 2020, still more than 50% life left in the sliders.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts