Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 800 137 limited with 144 woody trigger studs. Snow conditions where I live have been marginal and snow is very hard packed. Been out a few times and temp light has come on. What scratchers is everyone running? Wouldn't need them all the time but I've read good things and will be ordering asap. thanks for advice and suggestion in advance.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
Don’t go with Duraflex (cable style)
Went through 2 sets in one weekend last year.
They were mounted correctly.
Others are going to say they work great.
IDK, only thing I can think of is they must have a very low speed rating.
This year I’m going to try Ski Doo rail mounted style. You can back up with them

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Don’t go with Duraflex (cable style)
Went through 2 sets in one weekend last year.
They were mounted correctly.
Others are going to say they work great.
IDK, only thing I can think of is they must have a very low speed rating.
This year I’m going to try Ski Doo rail mounted style. You can back up with them
Never have had any issues with mine. Broke one tip on year three with my 18 sled. Duroflex would be my call.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I use the Trail Blizzers from Qualipiece and have great luck. Cable and quality like the Duraflex just designed a little better. Wouldnt own a sled without them. Running hot can ruin a great riding day.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just installed the SPI ones today. 18 ZR sno pro. Skidoo style (apparently SPI makes these for Doo?) Didn't have to drill any holes and slightly enlarged one. Used a washer to secure the one bolt through the opening. Not sure if they work on the limited with the extra idler wheel. I looked at these and ibexx. Ibexx is pricey but I think they might be better - the mount system sits on the ridge of the rail and just uses one bolt, and the hanger looks stronger. I think the SPI ones will work well too.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 panther triple 600 touring norseman x 8000
25 Posts
I RUN THESE OFF THE SKIS AND THEY THROW UPOUT A TINY BLIZZARD UNDER YOUR SLED.

·
Registered
550 panther triple 600 touring norseman x 8000
25 Posts
THESE ARE PUT ON THE SKID ALONG WITH THE FRONT TRIPLES. I FOUND THESE ON EBAY NEW FOR $25 SHIPPED!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does Arctic Cat make ones or are the aftermarket ones better? I really dont want to drill holes in skid if possible and would like ones that work in reverse. I would hate to forget and have them down.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just went through this. I have the exact snow conditions as you right now. I have straightline, they have a sharp carbide tip and are cable style. Last Saturday I couldn't make it 50 yards, look down and they hopped up on my rails in the stow away position. Temp light on/off all day. Went 98 miles and completely smoked my hyfax. My brother said get the spring style with the flippable end that allows you to back up. I had no clue what he was talking about. Our dealer convinced him to buy them. It's all he runs. I looked them up, ordered them and last night installed them. It is solid ice here right now, 1" thick over 9 inches of snow. 3 of us went for a quick spin, 1 mile later they are both stopped with temp lights on. We rode a quick 6 miles, my temp light never came on once. I backed up 3 times, twice in a ditch, zero issues. This is the 2nd year my brother has ran them with no issues. They carve and make one heck of a snow storm. OTTP is the brand. They come with holders that mount on the rails for stowing them. One of the guys with me had duraflex scratchers and his temp light kept coming on. They are rated as one of the best. I dont think anything cant beat spring style for spray on hard pack, icy conditions or icy gravel roads connecting trails. Most people dont buy them because they have reverse, OTTP solves that problem. I was sick of my temp light coming on and having to stop to cool. I paid 68 bucks free shipping and had them in 1 day, worth every penny! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THanks for all your help. The internet can be great but in many times make you second guess after reading reviews. I really like the ibexx and how they are stored on how they allow you to store them when not in use, also the duraflex once again are half the cost and great reviews. I have no problem paying more for a quality but if not much difference why waste the money. Do you just bend the cable back on the duraflex when not using them?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I really like the Iibex. I wore them down in the granite state, and Iibex replaced them for free. I told them it was totally my fault. These are well made and work with reverse. The replacements they sent me came with hardened tips
I really like those, look like they can bend in any direction without harming them. Funny the hours of research I did on Ice scratchers those never popped up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just to be clear I was talking about rail mount OTTP not ski mount. Only buy rail mount. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
I just went through this. I have the exact snow conditions as you right now. I have straightline, they have a sharp carbide tip and are cable style. Last Saturday I couldn't make it 50 yards, look down and they hopped up on my rails in the stow away position. Temp light on/off all day. Went 98 miles and completely smoked my hyfax. My brother said get the spring style with the flippable end that allows you to back up. I had no clue what he was talking about. Our dealer convinced him to buy them. It's all he runs. I looked them up, ordered them and last night installed them. It is solid ice here right now, 1" thick over 9 inches of snow. 3 of us went for a quick spin, 1 mile later they are both stopped with temp lights on. We rode a quick 6 miles, my temp light never came on once. I backed up 3 times, twice in a ditch, zero issues. This is the 2nd year my brother has ran them with no issues. They carve and make one heck of a snow storm. OTTP is the brand. They come with holders that mount on the rails for stowing them. One of the guys with me had duraflex scratchers and his temp light kept coming on. They are rated as one of the best. I dont think anything cant beat spring style for spray on hard pack, icy conditions or icy gravel roads connecting trails. Most people dont buy them because they have reverse, OTTP solves that problem. I was sick of my temp light coming on and having to stop to cool. I paid 68 bucks free shipping and had them in 1 day, worth every penny! Good luck!

When I had cable style installed on my sled they bounced so bad they beat the heck out of the bottom of my running boards.
Trails were very hard packed snow/icy

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
Does Arctic Cat make ones or are the aftermarket ones better? I really dont want to drill holes in skid if possible and would like ones that work in reverse. I would hate to forget and have them down.
What AC has work good for creating snow dust for cooling but you can not back up with them.
If you do they get bent out of shape

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
Just installed the SPI ones today. 18 ZR sno pro. Skidoo style (apparently SPI makes these for Doo?) Didn't have to drill any holes and slightly enlarged one. Used a washer to secure the one bolt through the opening. Not sure if they work on the limited with the extra idler wheel. I looked at these and ibexx. Ibexx is pricey but I think they might be better - the mount system sits on the ridge of the rail and just uses one bolt, and the hanger looks stronger. I think the SPI ones will work well too.
I'll have to check these out.
I like the idea I don't have to step into a Ski Doo dealership

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I had cable style installed on my sled they bounced so bad they beat the heck out of the bottom of my running boards.
Trails were very hard packed snow/icy
Yeah I forgot to mention they beat the crap out of the sides of my rails! I just saw that last night I was pis***!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts