Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh wow, confirmation email from Polaris says to contact dealer before April 15th to make changes. But with everything going on must be locked in now

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,307 Posts
Advice needed:
I have a 650 VR1 137'' ordered. I will NOT be studding my track at all and never have. 80% trail rider but do venture off on unplowed forest/fire roads and narrower deer paths in the Valhalla area of Bayfield County, WI. Not really into playing in open fields or such.

I ordered my sled with the 1.5 Storm and now I am second guessing my decision maybe??? I am 6'6'' 260 w/o gear. Fast/aggressive trail rider. Would I be better off with the 1.25 Ice Ripper or 1.35 Cobra?

I currently ride a MY14 800 Switchback and love my sled. I have 12,500 miles on it so that is the main reason for getting a new sled. Has a 1.25 track on it currently.
You will love the storm when you venture down a fresh forest road. Especially coming off the rush machine. The 137 storm will be very capable in your area. On trail the track is great. The outside lugs are 1.25 inches so it still handles well. I think you will be happy with your decision.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
From having a storm on both of our VR1 137 650 this year you will love it as long as you don't need all out top end. The track and the gearing make it hard for top end numbers. I did see 103mph on the speedo in perfect lake conditions, but most of the time it was 95-98 mph. I am going ice ripper on my 136 650 xcr this year. I know I will give up a little in the corner to corner, but will gain it back on the big end. And yes I know how crazy it sounds talking top end numbers with a 600 class sled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is switching even an option? Once the sled is submitted to Polaris I was told your locked and loaded at that point.
You can likely still make changes, but make sure your dealer submits the new order first and it is accepted by Polaris, BEFORE your current order is cancelled. I just did this on Monday of this week, as I changed my track selection.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
Is switching even an option? Once the sled is submitted to Polaris I was told your locked and loaded at that point.
Yes switching is an option right up to the last day of snowcheck.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes switching is an option right up to the last day of snowcheck.
That is the case in previous, worry free years. This year has seen an abundance of checks. In order to change an option. The whole original snow check must be cancelled and start a new one. Risk it if you want, see if dealer is nice enough to keep original one in system and do a new one. Heck, with the way demand is, he might want to keep original and when they come in, sell it as a SC that someone backed out on for a premium price.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
That is the case in previous, worry free years. This year has seen an abundance of checks. In order to change an option. The whole original snow check must be cancelled and start a new one. Risk it if you want, see if dealer is nice enough to keep original one in system and do a new one. Heck, with the way demand is, he might want to keep original and when they come in, sell it as a SC that someone backed out on for a premium price.
You are correct. I’m rather content that I did not snowcheck this year I think it may end up being a shit show next fall although I hope not.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
My 650 SBA 146 was able to do 96mph on the speedo with the stock ICE Storm 1.5. Those getting a Storm 1.5 on the VR1 sleds could put on tunnel protectors and use Lug studs like some folks did on the MY21 sleds. There are several sources of them, and the Storm 1.5 is designed to have studs put in the lugs.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My 650 SBA 146 was able to do 96mph on the speedo with the stock ICE Storm 1.5. Those getting a Storm 1.5 on the VR1 sleds could put on tunnel protectors and use Lug studs like some folks did on the MY21 sleds. There are several sources of them, and the Storm 1.5 is designed to have studs put in the lugs.
I got 103 speedo out of my 850 SBA with ice cobra 1.6” stock gearing and clutches. Will be gearing the same as my 19 as it is considerably quicker and has more top end. Also do not like the Polaris tunnel guards, they are too tall. I made a few sets out of square tubing and for igrips or traditional ice tracks they work great. POLARIS must have made them taller for long push through studs. I would really like to try a 1.75” hurricane but I believe it would hit tunnel protectors almost constantly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ya I kinda wish they offered 1.75 Backcountry X as option for XCR, Levi talked about this in one of his video reviews on the difference between that and the cobra 1.6

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
I got 103 speedo out of my 850 SBA with ice cobra 1.6” stock gearing and clutches. Will be gearing the same as my 19 as it is considerably quicker and has more top end. Also do not like the Polaris tunnel guards, they are too tall. I made a few sets out of square tubing and for igrips or traditional ice tracks they work great. POLARIS must have made them taller for long push through studs. I would really like to try a 1.75” hurricane but I believe it would hit tunnel protectors almost constantly.
My Axys Assault does 107 with same track. My clutching.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My Axys Assault does 107 with same track. My clutching.
My 19 came with 22/41 so speedo isn’t calibrated for 23/40 gears so not sure what I can get out of it. But walks the 21 pretty easily so? 103 came on snow covered lake not ideal conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
My 19 came with 22/41 so speedo isn’t calibrated for 23/40 gears so not sure what I can get out of it. But walks the 21 pretty easily so? 103 came on snow covered lake not ideal conditions.
Interesting. Track pitch making the difference?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do the ice ripper tracks mark up the garage floor?
It does not take much to make the track spin and gouge the concrete floors. I have marks from just one winter, but the track has over 6K miles on it so maybe the ice rippers are getting dull and made the track spin easier?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
Interesting. Track pitch making the difference?
The distance/mph difference between a 9 tooth 2.52" pitch driver and an 8 tooth 2.86" pitch driver is less than 1%

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I have a feeling there will be more than a 1% gain, otherwise what is the point in going to a 2.52 pitch?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts