Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some input on this track from people who have used them. I realize it will not be anything like a well studded track. But for someone who lightly studs a track for safety and trail riding, how do they compare?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had one on my 1200 Enduro, I liked it a lot from a safety standpoint, held up great for 9200 miles, good track for trail use, still looks good on the garage floor. Swapped to a Storm 150 with 96 studs but was looking for more fresh snow capability.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
I currently have two VR1’s with the ice ripper on them. I have nothing bad to say about them.
l actually prefer the ice ripper over studded tracks for trail riding especially when the corners start to get blown out and rocks become exposed it’s a good piece of mind knowing that your not going to bend, break or tear out any studs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great track. Enough extra grip for safety but still a little bit of playfullness. It's the track I went with on my snow check.

I liked the idea of having a warranty as well on it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Different chassis sled, but I have ran the Ice Attack XT 1.22, thousands of mile. I am a very aggressive rider, there are few times on 100% trails that I really needed more bite, like other said, its loose enough to handle great, even on icy corners, the weight of the ice tracks is approximately 1 lb difference, so the rotating mass is light, one of the first things I noticed when it was new was how great it stopped, to me there isn't anything that I don't like on them?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you order it from the factory it comes with tunnel protectors as well. So from a cost perspective it's a better deal than studding your own track and adding tunnel protectors.

But based off my experience with it, I was very impressed. We rode the 2022s in very icy snow and some bare areas in early March and it hooked well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I have been running cobras for the last 6 years and I think I will give this ice ripper a try.

·
Registered
22 VR1 850 129 and Mxz 600 etec
152 Posts
I had ice ripper on my 2020 xc 800 129 and it worked very well. Maybe not the same as traditional studs, but wasn't far off. Also doesn't add the weight of traditional studs. I ordered same track on 22 VR1 850.
You can always add studs if you need more grip.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
Just looking for some input on this track from people who have used them. I realize it will not be anything like a well studded track. But for someone who lightly studs a track for safety and trail riding, how do they compare?
Take a look at this post that is linked in the Matryx FAQ:

MY22 Track options chart post#1

You will notice that the ICE Ripper XT has around twice as many studs built in as some of the other ICE tracks. It has a LOT of studs. It will have pretty good grip on ice and hardpack, short of drag racing.

Reactions: polaris bob

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been running cobras for the last 6 years and I think I will give this ice ripper a try.
All of my previous Polaris sleds have had cobras on them. And all of my future Polaris sleds will have ice rippers on them, if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had one on my 1200 Enduro, I liked it a lot from a safety standpoint, held up great for 9200 miles, good track for trail use, still looks good on the garage floor. Swapped to a Storm 150 with 96 studs but was looking for more fresh snow capability.
how happy are you with the storm ? i ordered my sled with a storm for next year and was planning on studding

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Storm 150 was good, It did vibrate more than the ice ripper in certain conditions, I had no vibrations with the ice ripper. I'm not sure if that was because its like a windmill or the 96 studs with double backers, This was on hard packed groomed trails, I never ran it without studs so not sure. I did lose about 7mph on the top end on GPS going with the Storm 150 but that's to be expected and I was fine with the tradeoff for much greater hook up and fresh snow capability. Only put 2400 miles on the Storm 150 but it looks great still.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I can confirm that the storm track unstudded does make some sounds at certain from/speeds. And unstudded it also loses mph on the top end. The top mph is why I'm going with a ice ripper on my 2022. I really enjoyed the strom and never had an ice ripper so hopefully I enjoy that was well.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I currently have two VR1’s with the ice ripper on them. I have nothing bad to say about them.
l actually prefer the ice ripper over studded tracks for trail riding especially when the corners start to get blown out and rocks become exposed it’s a good piece of mind knowing that your not going to bend, break or tear out any studs.
Do the ice ripper tracks mark up the garage floor?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Very very minor on asphalt, and next to nothing on cement unless your spinning it. nothing like real studs

·
Registered
2014 Polaris 800 SB - - 2015 Polaris 600 SB Adventure Snow Check
533 Posts
Advice needed:
I have a 650 VR1 137'' ordered. I will NOT be studding my track at all and never have. 80% trail rider but do venture off on unplowed forest/fire roads and narrower deer paths in the Valhalla area of Bayfield County, WI. Not really into playing in open fields or such.

I ordered my sled with the 1.5 Storm and now I am second guessing my decision maybe??? I am 6'6'' 260 w/o gear. Fast/aggressive trail rider. Would I be better off with the 1.25 Ice Ripper or 1.35 Cobra?

I currently ride a MY14 800 Switchback and love my sled. I have 12,500 miles on it so that is the main reason for getting a new sled. Has a 1.25 track on it currently.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Advice needed:
I have a 650 VR1 137'' ordered. I will NOT be studding my track at all and never have. 80% trail rider but do venture off on unplowed forest/fire roads and narrower deer paths in the Valhalla area of Bayfield County, WI. Not really into playing in open fields or such.

I ordered my sled with the 1.5 Storm and now I am second guessing my decision maybe??? I am 6'6'' 260 w/o gear. Fast/aggressive trail rider. Would I be better off with the 1.25 Ice Ripper or 1.35 Cobra?

I currently ride a MY14 800 Switchback and love my sled. I have 12,500 miles on it so that is the main reason for getting a new sled. Has a 1.25 track on it currently.
Following this, I ordered a 137” also with the storm track. Part of me is second guessing and thinking about switching to the ice ripper.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Is switching even an option? Once the sled is submitted to Polaris I was told your locked and loaded at that point.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ag
Is switching even an option? Once the sled is submitted to Polaris I was told your locked and loaded at that point.
reed. If you switch. They will have to cancel current order and file a new one. And might possibly new order might not be available to snowcheck anymore

1 - 20 of 49 Posts