Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddie came over and we replaced the bearings in his skid. He went home so I started on my firecat. Replaced a few bearings then took off the old hyfax so that I can put on new. I started to clean the rails with degreaser. Then I found myself polishing the outside of the rail. I tried to go around all of the bolts, but it did not look right. The next thing I knew I was taking the entire suspension apart with the intention of cleaning and polishing it. Its not like I dont have enough to do already. The polished rails will look like sh!! as soon as they hit the snow. I guess I have a passion, or is it an obsession for snowmobiling.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
while you have them apart... drop them off at the powder coater for a permanent fix! should be one close by... not too expensive...

:div20: :eek:oh4:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
well im sure it depends on where you take it...

i would do a yahoo yellow pages search for "powder coating"

then call the closest place and ask directly...

i will eventually do mine, so i cant say for sure what the cost is... im sure its well worth having beautiful rails tho...

·
Registered
411 Posts
My nightfire came with black rails. They are all chipped up by the hyfax. Like the hyfax moved around and chipped the powder coating off.

I dont know if powder coating would be worth it after what happended to me.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Originally posted by TNT@Oct 17 2005, 07:16 PM
My nightfire came with black rails. They are all chipped up by the hyfax. Like the hyfax moved around and chipped the powder coating off.

I dont know if powder coating would be worth it after what happended to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=936001
[/quote]
Get them black anodized. It will not chip like the powder coat will.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If they are original 03 rails and are out now would be the time to replace them with the updated ones.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
anodize is good too... multiple colors... this might also be better because you dont increase metal thickness or mess up hole sizes because of coating...

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
anodizing is the best, no doubt(better colors too)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, Anodized that sounds like the way to go. The 03 rails have already been replaced so I am all set there.

Now to find a shop near my house that does the anodizing.

Just wondering, has any one heard of a clear coat that can be sprayed on the rails after they are cleaned a polished? Just a thought

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good, do you purchase this at an automotive store or hardware? What is the application process?

I noticed that you live in Canada, do you think they sell it in the states?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Go with the anodizing. I had mine done when the sled was new and now has 1900
miles and the rails still look like the day i assembled the rear suspension.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Originally posted by BIG CAT@Oct 18 2005, 09:12 AM
Sounds good, do you purchase this at an automotive store or hardware?  What is the application process?

I noticed that you live in Canada, do you think they sell it in the states?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=937264
[/quote]

Yes I had to order it from Summit racing out of the states.

Zoop is a two part mix and A and B. You only mix up what you need. It will cure and not be usable after 10 days. You polish the part. Mix up the zoop. Make shure the part is supper clean. Wipe on the zoop no buffing required. Just wipe on and let dry. It might take 1hours to 24hours to dry. After drying there is a soft compound you rub the streeks out of the part. Then your don't for three years. Just keep clean. I under stand salt is not good. It will not stop salt.....just wash the parts with water if salt ends up on the parts.

THere is a clear anodizing now. It is called hard coat I think. If the zoop don't last as long as I like. I will buff the parts up and have them done with that.

Don.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
What Todd said, go with the anodize and not zoop seal. The anodize will last the life of the sled (so long as you don't scratch it) while ZOOP will need to be redone in 3 years. And the ZOOP is expensive.

Hard coat and clear anodize are 2 different things. Hard coat is pretty much dark grey to silver in color.

·
Registered
542 Posts
both hard coat and clear ano. are grayish color the hard coat has lots of nickel in it so that it is harder. and it has a buld up usally .001 to .002 thick the clear is no buld up and easer to scrach also a little cheeper . but for just two rails you would have to pay a lot charge anyway so prob. won't be any diffrence in cost. hope that helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts