Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a good couple hours yesterday doing alignment & track deflection, I need to know the torque for the big axle nut and the suspension bolts.
The best way I found out is to use a golf ball under the slide rail & track window and within minutes the alignment and deflection is done, Cat's way took most of the time and never got it spot on,if anybody wants to know how to do it this way let me know?

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
I think I read on here earlier that it was 30 ft. lbs. for the big axle nut....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Highlander
Start by loosening the axle nut, then back off the two adjusting bolts facing the rear of the track - note! you have to use a wrench to hold the nut in the slide rail window.
When you have enough slack in the track, insert a golf ball between the slide rail bottom and the track window (cut out) by the rubber bumper (mid way on the slide rail) start tighten the left side until golf ball is difficult to remove, then do the other side the same as you did the left side.
Take a board (2x4) place on the area of the track where the golf ball was, then use a bathroom scale sitting on top of the board push down until the scale reads 20 pounds take a measurement at the rubber bumper adjust track adjusting bolts to get 1 1/4 inches.
Now measure the threads on the adjuster bolts "should be around 3 threads showing (back side of the windows)
Now start your engine let idle until warm, give it some throttle to turn the track, shut off engine - don't apply the brake let it coast, check the slide rails.
The best way to check is go by the outside of the slide rail and the cut outs in the track, if you can see a little gap in between them on each side your within specs. Cat wants you to look at the inner idler wheel, which is very difficult to do.
You can measure the lug to the slide rail also - that should be around 3/16 to a 1/4 inch.
This is by far the best method I have ever tried and is always faster - I have never had a problem with ratcheting either.
I hope this helps, have a great day and happy new year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highlander
I forgot to tell you you have to tighten the big nut on the axle before finishing the job and loosen every time you have make adjustment, then tighten again.
Sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts