Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fiddling today and man I don't understand Cat.

1. WAYYYYYY back in 03 it was WELL documented that the steering post welds leaked grease. Guess what. My 2006 late build sno pro C7 leaks! I'm about ready to take it to the dealer and have them weld it and Cat can pay for the fix. HOW THE HECK can this still be a problem??!!

2. I also noticed there is contact between the servomotor and gas tank...maybe a leak waiting to happen down the line??

3. WHY make is nearly impossible to change a belt? This one really burns me.

4. How about some real anchors in the gas tank so we can actually get the torx screws out when trying to remove the console?

5. Wheels that rub on the TSL....hmmm...can't figure it out.

There are other things I'm forgetting. There is no doubt this sled is much better put together than my 03 F7...I just don't understand how some of these issues last 4 years...cmon cat.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Well you know about those torx screws on the gas tank - Thanx for the tip

Did you tackle the torx screws on the back of your helix yet - Ouch

I love these sleds - Honestly wouldnt trade them for anything - Like you said light years ahead of the Firecats in ride/comfort/handling is so easy - No driver input needed like on the Firecats
These motors are incredible - Especially all the sleds i was kicking ass on yesterday up in Tomahawk

The one thing i noticed yesterday was the steering - How damn sloppy it has gotten in barely just over 350 miles
You can take the handlebars and move them side to side and the skis barely move until you really get on the bars

My C6 is still pretty tight yet - No slop in the tie rods or steering yet but my wife doesnt drive as aggressive

My C7 i actually pulled off that steering update today(Shaft and aluminum clamps) and pulled out the steering crank looking for issues - Something is not right how sloppy it got yesterday
But i should be used to it with all the Cats i have owned - There steering always seemed loose - Tie rods etc.

Anyways the rear shock is next - I am thinking now after changing the graphics and now the rear shock getting pulled, why in the hell didnt i listen and buy the C7 black sno - pro - Stupid maybe

Exhaust paint and rust - Issues on Cat for a billion years - Cover it up like Ski Doo with all aluminum

I can see how getting the belt off the primary can be a pain - Grind off that plastic ridge a little maybe
Secondary is a piece of cake with Black Diamond tools and adjuster - Seconds

Anyways i am not bitching , just stating the facts

I LOVE THE SLEDS - But like my wife and friends say , i am a picky S.O.B. - Probably to much
How does frustrated sound with this weather - Instead of riding I wrench

Spend to much time on the computer looking out the window while it fucking pours out and there saying 40,s all next week

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
ok, i love cats, i never had issues except for recalls, sometimes you get bad ones and sometimes you get good ones. it just happens. yeah cat has to fix couple things, but so does every sled maker. and for your belt issure, i hope you are talking about you firecat not the crossfire. cuz on the crossfire they have side panels that come off and there ya go, your right there

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott, even with the secondary all the way open I still have a bugger of a time getting the belt under. Not enough room between the alum pan protector and the clutch...grrrr!

I don't have the steering update thankfully...on my Crossfire anyway!

Haven't taken the secondary apart yet...but I did buy a brand new T20 bit..

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
Secondary screws are held in with blue locktite and need to be heated before removing, you must compress the spring when trying to remove the ones that hold the helix to the sheeve.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Secondary screws are held in with blue locktite and need to be heated before removing, you must compress the spring when trying to remove the ones that hold the helix to the sheeve.[/b]

I have a spring compressor that i have been using - Made one up when i had my 05 F5 - And i am using it while removing those torx screws , takes the pressure off the screws and sheave ,so the sheave just pops off when everything is loose
And you definetly need the spring compressor while putting everything back together - Especially with these aftermarket springs or Cats new orange
I know red locktite and green locktite require heat , but blue ????

Krom you still selling those tunnel supports ???

Thanx Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
blue locktite does not require heat to remove it.....but hey it couldnt hurt right? lol

bought an 06 C6 this past monday and so far im at 165miles---love it! just that damn weak front skid spring--got a snopro one coming monday--if that doesnt work i'll get everything revalved minus the front shocks---gonna save up and get some float x's....

I have access to carbon fibre, aramid (kevlar), and tons of fibreglass so is there anything that you guys could think of that would be useful to make?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Definetly put the Black Diamond adjuster on. Even if you don't get the tool to open it up with the adjuster I found another nice trick. With the adjuster you can pull the bolt that mounts it to the DD without adjusting or removing anything else. Just pull that center cap screw out slide the driven off swap belts set it on the clutch and slide the clutch back on. Works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.