1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people....I rode a F6 a few days ago and was quite
dissapointed in its power...
I'm coming off a ZR900...
(I know its a 600 But people having been reporting the F6 is close to the F7)

I will be the first to admit that in 660-1000ft
my 900 has lost to a few F7's

That being said....I hope the F7 pulls alot harder on the handlebars than the f6

I'm considering a F7 for the jumping abilities,
I feel my 900 is too nose heavy...

Has anybody rode both the 900 and the F7??

If so please describe the seat of the pants feel....
I know how they perform vrs each other with very similiar performance
but I love the huge yank you get when hammering the 900...will the F7 satisfy me?

Be honest this is a Cat dude asking....

Thanks Track

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
i dont think youll ever get the best of both worlds until they come out with an f-9 or something.
the zr9 is an awsome lake racer hands down and good in the trails but light and nimble it is not .
now if your looking for a nimble ,jumper then an f-7 snopro would be the closest thing to match your power your used to but still wont pull the top end of the 900 .....you need to make a decision on what you really want.....................

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
f-5snopro...I know I want a better jumper...I guess the answer I was looking for was that the F7 had a very noticeable power advantage over the F6...the F7 runs with 900's so you would assume the pull on the bars would be equal...however I have heard differently....looking for some real world comparisons...

Yes I want a nimble jumper...but the F6 was too much of a sacrifice in power...Hoping the Efi F7 Sp would be the answer...but I cant find one to ride...

I know how these sleds match up in drags...but seat of the pants can be quite different....

·
Registered
360 Posts
tracksidedown,
I own an F7SP and had an opportunity to ride an F6 at my dealer. As I've already posted on this site I'll state that the F6 has as much power on the low end as the F7 does in my estimation. My dealer told me about it before I rode it and he was right! Of course it won't stay with the F7 after past midrange but off the line it was hard to tell if I was on my sled or not!!!
Again just my impression. jv

·
Registered
79 Posts
Track,

I have ridden both an F7, mine and a 2003 ZR900 this winter. We rode about 120 miles together. The 900 was a cross country edition and my F7 has the standard suspension. Neither sled has studs.

Power is so comparable between the two sleds I couldn't believe it. I did a rolling start race at 40mph and at 106mph the ZR900 was still beside me on a hard packed plowed road. We raced in a couple inches of fresh snow and we were side by side again at 100mph.

Handling is where the F7 really shines. The longer track is instantly noticable in bridging bumps making for a smoother ride. Obviously the the whole sled feels lighter, because it is. You are so right about the 900 feeling nose heavy. I owned a 98 ZR before my F7 and I felt they handled very similar, but the front end lightness of the F7 is very welcoming. You soon forget that you have a longer track but when you jump back on a ZR you'll want the F7 back. I found the narrower seat and tunnel on the F7 allowed better body movement and overall the seat was more comfortable then the ZR9's was.

I don't think any ZR 900 owner would be dissappointed with an F7's power. The 900 has a little more grunt feel to its power, but the F7 acceleration is unreal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
tsd,

The F7 and ZR are very similar as you have said in real world comparisons. I have tons of miles on both this year and I definately perfer the F7. The power delivery while having a very different feel has the same outcome. The ZR 900 really has that yank while the F7 has more of a pull, the feel of acceleration as I would put it. Side by side it has been my experience between THESE 2 sleds the F7 jumps it out of the hole and then they stay even for quite some time. I though I would miss the torque coming from a ZR 800 to the F7 however I do not, the pull and lightweight feel more than makes up for it. Quite honestly going to the ZR 8 or 9 after getting off the F7 feels like getting on a tank. However I still feel with all my suspension adjustments the F series does not handle the tight twisties like the ZR, although for nimbleness and jumping nothing compares to the F series.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback....makes you wonder though.... how a F6 with 20 less ponies could possibly run with the F7.....now the F7 running with the 900 is realistic due to the 10 or so ponies difference.

In the same ditch of powder the 900 would still pull 95 mph....the F6 was struggling with 75mph

Larry I too am from friendly Manitoba....

I wish I could have rode a F7....its hard for me to admit but the Rev8HO is on my short list....

no slur intended towards the F6....its a snappy 600.....I guess I just need more...

thanks again

ps the green Team Artcic SP is the sexiest sled on the snow!

·
Registered
428 Posts
trackside, i have also drove the f6 and the f7 as well as the 900, its all a question of what feel you like, personally i like the handling of the zr chassis alot better , the 700 does not seem to have the same feel to the power as the 900 , the 900 feels like it pulls harder but in the real world the 7000 is right beside it. just the different clutching and power curve i guess. the 600 is also a good sled. the 600 will pull the 700 off the line cause of less power and better hook up, the 700 runs it down fast and continues to pull out about 2-3 lengths the 600 i drove was right outta the box brand new 0 miles and it topped at 103 on the river it is a noticeable difference fromthe 6 tho for sure

also i have some info you might want to know PM ME

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firecat_F9...thanks for the feedback....my computer kept saying Javascript error with the PM button....so I e-mailed you....

Track

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have A SPF7 and I have ridden my friends ZR 900.....from my own perspective I like the F7 better....it comes out of the hole much nicer than the 900, but also this may be due to the track I ususally have the 900 beat for the first couple 100' but then the 9 catches up and pulls away but usually only gets 3-4 sled lenghths on me could be more but we usually let off or run out of room.
after riding the 900 and jumping back on to the F7...the F7 feels much more comfortable.
The suspension on the F7 is alot more stiff and is great for ditch banging as opposed to the ZR..and again setup /shocks.....make a diffrence.
The ZR 900 pulls hard...very smooth acceleration and has lots of power......I would wait to see what the 04 900 is like with the EFI....Im sure with this there will be a noticable responce when you hammer the throttle.
In short I dont think you could wrong with either sled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts