Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My signature has been the same for most of the three years I have been on this site, for a very good reason.

I bring my kids to the cabin in Danbury to ride this weekend and my neighbor (who is trying to convince his wife to buy a sled) rents a sled on New Years Eve.

I already put on over 100 miles over the weekend and there was a lot of traffic and I came across the groomer twice during the day so I am super cautious. (the groomer skid slid sideways blocking the whole trail and trapped two girls who could not back up their sleds. I helped the groomer pull them backwards and get them off the trail. He thanked me for the help and I flipped him a $20 and said no Thank You!)

We leave the older kids and decide to take my 6 year old and the neighbors 6 year old out for a ride. 11 miles to the bar for some fries. I put my son on my sled, the neighbors wife on my XCF 440 and the nieghbor brings up the rear on his rental with his daughter. I was sure to point out to both of them that the trails were busy, STAY RIGHT.

Tight twisty woods trail, 41 North near Webb Lake. I am going between 10 to 30 mph and looking back to make sure they are O.K. every five minutes. A few sleds come from the other direction, kinda fast but in control on their side of the trail. (whole new perspective of what fast is when your six year old is sitting on the front of your ProX) I look back and everyone is tight up with me and everything is good.

Not more than two minutes later I get passed on the inside of a tight left hand corner by a black IQ? WTF? Then another, and another on the inside of this corner. I have my arms up for the last two guys trying to get the WTF? sign without flipping them off in front of the kids. Within about one minute another group of sleds comes down the trail from the other direction. Within a half mile I pull up to an intersection and the leader of this group is off his sled looking at the trail sign.

I pulled up next to him (with my six year old) and say "Why didn't you wait, I would have let you pass?"

He says, "Had I know there was an intersection coming up I would have". Keep in mind, these guys could not have been behind me for more than two minutes when they decided to pass. Believe me I have been behind slow sleds for two miles only to come up to an intersection and they take back off again without even looking back which chaps my ass.

Me, "I would have let you guy by on the next straight away, what would have happened if the next group of oncoming sleds would have met you in that corner?"

He apologized and we shook hands and off I went. Hopefully he learned something.

I ride very fast at night but it seems like common sense not to pass a family on the inside of a corner during the day on New Years Eve.

I don't think the neighbor has a shot of getting a sled now.......

Jeff

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Jeff, 5 years ago my wife and I were riding with our kids and 2 Blair Morgan watabes cut the corner missing my sled by inches, she road the sled home and has never and will never ride again because of 2 imature idiots. Sorry to hear about your situation also. At least she lets me ride yet, but would be much more fun if she was with me.

·
Registered
921 Posts
We ride fast too, but we slow down and respect other riders and especially a family with young kids. Some people are idiots and some are assholes. That's why I have yet to take my family up north fo a weekend. It's just too dangerous. Sad to say, but true.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I ride too fast as well. Thats why I refuse to ride maintained trails. I don't like to go slow and if I ride trails, someone is going to get hurt. I got lost and had to ride some trials the other night to get to a lake and hated it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first time I've ridden on the trails with my kids. All sorts of thoughts go through your mind. Such as:

1. Holy shit, is this a good idea?
2. If everyone rode like this, think of how much grooming $ could be saved?

I don't want to sound preachy but it really changed my outlook. Now, will I be riding 10 mph without my kids? Nope. I have always tried to stay on my side of the trail but I think I will be trying just a little bit harder now.

Jeff

·
Banned
837 Posts
I ride too fast as well. Thats why I refuse to ride maintained trails. I don't like to go slow and if I ride trails, someone is going to get hurt. I got lost and had to ride some trials the other night to get to a lake and hated it.[/b]
41 yrs. old and it's obvious your brain never developed, what a moron.

·
Registered
906 Posts
41 yrs. old and it's obvious your brain never developed, what a moron.[/b]
Hey, I was being honost about it. I will ride the way I choose. I choose not to ride trails because of this. Maybe the guys that passed Jeff should read this and decide that the trails are not for them either. You didn't have to call me a moron.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That was pretty horrible to say WOW! Hurting someone doesnt show how fast you are it just shows your out of control on a sled and need to slow down.

I ride very hard but not when theres other people around. I think alot of these "racers" think they are much to good to ever hurt someone else; and never think about the consequences if they were to hurt someone.

I just wish alot of these dudes that think they are world champ racers would take their skills out on the race track and see how fast they really are.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I always feel bad passing people with kids on their sleds. Cause i know if it was my kid i would be freaking out cause you just never know how well people can control their sleds. But passing on the inside of a corner while there are kids on sleds is retarded. No excuse... what if it was a corner that was solid ice and they slid over and pushed you and the kid off the trail?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey, I was being honost about it. I will ride the way I choose. I choose not to ride trails because of this. Maybe the guys that passed Jeff should read this and decide that the trails are not for them either. You didn't have to call me a moron.[/b]

Hey, he was just being honest too, and very polite to boot.

You admit to riding fast AND off trail. There are threads all over this board about lames like you who ride off trail and are causing trail closures because the land owners are pissed because people are causing damage to the terain under the snow.

I belong to a club in northern Wisconsin. Stay away from our area because we have enough to do without some lame stupid moron(I was being polite because this is a family forum) who only is worried about their own enjoyment getting a trail of ours closed down because of their complete lack of respect for the enjoyment of other riders who can respect what we have to use. Riding across other peoples property on the marked trail system is a PRIVILEGE, not your right.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey, he was just being honest too, and very polite to boot.

You admit to riding fast AND off trail. There are threads all over this board about lames like you who ride off trail and are causing trail closures because the land owners are pissed because people are causing damage to the terain under the snow.

I belong to a club in northern Wisconsin. Stay away from our area because we have enough to do without some lame stupid moron(I was being polite because this is a family forum) who only is worried about their own enjoyment getting a trail of ours closed down because of their complete lack of respect for the enjoyment of other riders who can respect what we have to use. Riding across other peoples property on the marked trail system is a PRIVILEGE, not your right.[/b]
When I say I ride off trail, I mean I don't ride on or near the public trail system. I ride on land that is owned by timber companies, state, federal, or county. I break no trespass laws. I do not cause your trail systems to be closed. You open your mouth and flap your jaws for what reason? I simply stated that I am not one of those guys that pass your kids on the trail systems. I ride fast and hard, so I choose to stay off those trails. You should be thanking me instead of flapping your damn mouth. I was trying to let people know that there is an alternative to racing from bar to bar like idiots. Get your head out of your ass.

·
Lake Runner!
17,502 Posts
first: i HATE people that do not let people pass and have passed people in some bad ways in the past. 2 minutes behind someone feels like a long time when you know that you could be going a lot faster. i have passed people in corners before and it could have turned out pretty bad. i cannot condemn these guys for doing something that i have done. i am not proud of it and hope to never do it again, it is stupid.

second: my kids will NEVER ride on a sled with me on a public trail. i see people all the time riding with their kids tucked on the front and it makes me nervous, i cannot imagine how nervous they are. i saw a guy with 2 kids in the front of him last weekend, OMG! i have access to plenty of private areas to take my kids for rides and do not need to endanger their life or someone elses. don't want to start a pissing match, you can do what you want, but that is how i feel when it comes to me.

the guys should not have passed you like, but it is a risk that you take when driving on the trails. it sounds like the guy was cool about it at least, and i am sure that he will think twice before doing it again.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I ride with my kids too, and have had close calls on the trails. I have 13 year old daughter that is learning to ride we had a couple of guys on fast sleds last year in Saint Germain scare her by passing her when she didn't know they were there. So if you have to ride fast please be careful. Also last year I was on the bearskin trail and was following a family and a young kid on a new Ski-doo was riding the entire time in the middle of the trail what a bonehead and I mean the parent to let a kid spend the entire time I was following ride in the center of the trail. When they stopped I told the dad what the kid was doing and he acted like I was the bad guy. I never want to see anybody get hurt in this sport.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I passed some dumbasses through a corner one night after they kept looking back at me and wouldnt let me pass. They were even blowing stop signs to try and stay ahead of me. I was stopping but would catch right back up to them again; they were on old iron. The one I flew by on the straight away and the other one I pushed high up into the corner and went low underneath him. I did this of course in a wide open corner in a field where I could see though. I know what you guys are saying though that it gets pretty old when people know you are behind them and look back at you but continue to ride right down the middle of the trail at a snails pace (which is fine) but let me by.

Obviously this was not you Jeff G. Just a rant by me about others on the trails.

·
Registered
444 Posts
When I say I ride off trail, I mean I don't ride on or near the public trail system. I ride on land that is owned by timber companies, state, federal, or county. I break no trespass laws. I do not cause your trail systems to be closed. You open your mouth and flap your jaws for what reason? I simply stated that I am not one of those guys that pass your kids on the trail systems. I ride fast and hard, so I choose to stay off those trails. You should be thanking me instead of flapping your damn mouth. I was trying to let people know that there is an alternative to racing from bar to bar like idiots. Get your head out of your ass.[/b]

Yo ! Skippy, watch who is flapping their mindless banter in the wind. If you think that Timber Company property is not owned and you are not breaking any tresspass laws you are absolutely wrong. If you think we do not have to bargain with them every year to keep the trails open through their property, you really are this stupid. If you think that the trail systems in the National Forrest are not strategically layed out to protect and preserve what lies beneath the snow as you crank over it. Well, maybe you are dumber than you have already lead us to believe. If you think that they will not close tarils on what you percieve to be "public" areas, and you think that you are not doing any damage to an alraedy fragile trail system, then you could have been the total moron that actually caused this thread to have been started in the first place.

If you think you could have cut it, and need to ride fast someplace, go find a race. Show us what you got, get on the pro circuit. No talent, racer wannabe's are the problem, so please save the self serving "we should be thanking you" crap for someone who os equally as stupid as you insist that you are. Stupid, is usually impressed only by someone who is equally as stupid. My 7 year old has more maturity in his thumb than you will ever have.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Well if this is the dumbest thing you've seen in 20K miles your doing pretty darn good. I only have a 1/4 of what you've ridden in my life and I can name 10 things worse than this I've seen.

I can understand how you feel....you got your kid on board and he passed on a tight corner.... but what do you expect for going 10-30mph?

I don't see too much wrong expect him passing you on a tight corner. Its not like this shouldn't be expected though.

What Im saying is Im not on your side on this one.....when you ride trails if your slow you will be passed. If you don't feel safe don't bring your kids with you.

P.S. yes I am a father and no Im not the kind of guy that rails by people on the trail. Been there, done that, grew up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I can't even reply to you. You have no idea of what you are talking about. I know the laws. I am not in WI. Shut your pie hole.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Lucky you were in WI, if the MN DNR catches you with a kid plopped in front of you on a one-up sled and he's in a bad mood you'd get tagged.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've done some stupid stuff in the past and problay have more coming to but nothing pisses me of more than being stuck behind people that will not let you by. I understand going slow with the family but making someone go 10 mph for miles is very agrevating and unneeded.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts