Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my windshield of for no reason and now i wished i hadnt. when i put my windshield back i pushed a little to hard when i started to screw a bolt back in and the rubber thing that u screw into poped out and fell back down into the engine somewhere i looked for a half hour to try to find it but no success. and it had to be the one in the corner where u cant get at it from under the hood because of the headlights and i need to fix it so it doesnt look so stupid with one bolt out. can i get a new rubber thing from somewhere? or does anybody have a way i can fix it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, you can get one. They are called well nuts. You can even get them at the hardware store if you are far away from your dealer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
yea and they are not expensive. When you pick it up get an extra one or two and a extra rubber for the windshild tab and put it in your tool box. It will save you a trip in the future.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's absolutely simple. It is just a piece of rubber with a nut in one side. Push the side with the nut in first. Then push it in (from the front side of the sled). Tightening it up pulls the nut towards the front, the rubber bunches up and then will not fit through the hole. Its simple. Bring the bolt from the windshield to size up the threads. You will just have to eyeball the outside dimensions of the well nut itself.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got some extra well nuts from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
LOL! Yup, I've got one of those rubber/nut doohickeys bouning around somewhere in my engine compartment as well! -- Roy

·
Registered
242 Posts
Two hints:

1. You could drop your belly pan to find the one you lost or get new ones from your dealer (50¢ each)

2. When you tkae off the windsheild, put the well nuts on first. Keep them loose, then press the well nuts through the holes and tighten. Much easier than trying to push the screws through and popping them out.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
lol...same thing happened to me last year with my ZR...They are officially called "Expanding Nuts," and the Sear's Hardware carrys them in all necessary sizes. What I do when I take the windshield off, is unscrew the bolt while holding the rubber nut and then I take the rubber nut off too. When putting them back on I push the bolt through the hole and then scrunch the nut up and get the bolt started so it won't fly off into no where land...IE...anywhere in the engine bay. ^_^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts