Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I just had all 4 shocks rebuilt by Hygear. They also did some minor revalving on the rear shock and put a dual rate spring on the front skid shock. They also put some small "zero preload" springs on the ski shocks which now allow more adjustment on the front end ride hight. Before, I had to run a lot of preload just to keep the springs from falling off when the suspension was fully extended.

Ross, the owner, is big on getting ride hight set perfectly for you/your sled and giving you the best possible ride without sacrificing big bump handling. With his dual and triple rate spring setups, I think he's got the right idea.

No chance to ride it yet but I went with them because everyone that used their services seems to really like them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you happen to get some mileage on your "new" shocks ? Just purchased a hygear setup myself and was curious how it worked out for you ? Ross is an amazing person. He gladly answered questions for me and went deep into detail which helped a lot being as I am pretty much dumb when it comes to suspension setups.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had Ross set up my Sabercat. When I called him and told him I had a set of Walker Evans shocks from an IQ race sled that I wanted to install on my Sabercat I think he thought I was crazy. He ended up moving the lower mount and adding a resevoir mount for the front shock and revalving them. Was a guessing game on the valving but it is close, needs to be firmed up a little more. It is a little firmer than a standard Firecat now I want it a little closer to Sno-Pro valving for me. I have since had Ross rebuild my front shocks.[Remote resevoir clickers] Now that my riding season is over I will be sending my rear shocks back to be firmed up just a little more. Great guys to deal with, Ross goes out of his way to help you. 5 stars !!!!
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I just had all 4 shocks rebuilt by Hygear. They also did some minor revalving on the rear shock and put a dual rate spring on the front skid shock. They also put some small "zero preload" springs on the ski shocks which now allow more adjustment on the front end ride hight. Before, I had to run a lot of preload just to keep the springs from falling off when the suspension was fully extended.

Ross, the owner, is big on getting ride hight set perfectly for you/your sled and giving you the best possible ride without sacrificing big bump handling. With his dual and triple rate spring setups, I think he's got the right idea.

No chance to ride it yet but I went with them because everyone that used their services seems to really like them.[/b]
DJ how much did all that end up costing?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My season is over with about 200 miles in central Maine, 100 in central NY, 100 in Woodford, VT and another 1600 in Canada. So, I put on about 2000 miles since the Hygear changes. All of the shocks performed great in just about every situation. I'm not sure how much of an effect the dual rate spring in the front track shock had but it can't complain about it either. The zero-preload springs really work. I can run the front end as low (loose) or high (tight) as I want now. I love the stiffer rebound valving on the rear shock!

I also put the Grip N Rip adjustable limiter strap kit on and it took me some time to get the right adjustment between the straps and the preload on the ski shocks. It still needs some work but I'm close.

All in all, the shock work at Hygear cost me about $450. The dual rate spring setup isn't cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts