Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to change hyfax on a 03 firecat, i have never done it, the dealer always has done everything, but i just got
layed off from my job so i want to do it myself, any help or pictures would be great. it is a 03 f-5 standard

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Easiest way is to pull the skid...might as well look over and grease everything up again.

If that is not an option or not how you would like to handle it then do the following.

1.) lift up the back of the sled safely and securly or roll the sled over on to the clutch side.
2.) loosen up the track - (track adjustment bolts at the rear of the skid)
3.) remove the screw that is in the front of the skid holding the hyfax on - move the track until you can access the screw through a window in the track.
4.) Spray penetrating lubricant on the hyfax, try peeling it away from the rail with a screw drive and spray into there.
5.) this is where it just becomes trial and error - usually I take a screw driver and stick it back into the empty hole in the hyfax (where you just removed the screw), angle the screw driver and then tap it with a hammer to "push" the hyfax out the rear of the skid (though a window in the track). Once you get enough of the track out the windows grab it with a set of vice grips and start pulling.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
33,335 Posts
To add to sledsearcher's post:

Once the old ones are off, I clean the rails and then put a light coating of slicone spray on the bottoms to make getting the next set off easier.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are held in with a screw and nut towards the front of the skid. Raise the back of the sled on a stand or hang it from the ceiling (or put sled on its side) and loosen said screw and nut. Then make sure an open window in the track is lined up at the rear of the skid. Then just jam a regular screwdriver into the side of the hyfax and pound it out. Be sure not to gouge the rails. Once it comes out a ways you should be able to put some vice grips on it and just pull it out. For reinstalling just put a little dish soap on the slot in the new hyfax so it slides in nice. May need to beat in gently with a hammer. Be sure to match up the old hyfax with the new for the correct length before you install and cut off any excess. I always put a little bit of a taper on the end I cut off so it doesn't rub on the clips as it comes around. Hope this helps! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You don't need to drop the skid unless you want to check the bearings on everything. You don't have to loosten the track either. Do what mavf7 says and it will be fine. Takes about 20 minutes to change out slides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts