Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
No, spring for engagement,, weights will also effect it or nothced weights,, but if it's only engagement you want changed, go with the spring, get a spring with a higher starting rate than the one you have with the finish close to the same,,,, R2R

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:banghead: who do I listen to lol, Here is the deal, I can not figure out how to lower the idle on my zr580efi so I was thinking of raising clutch engagement. What you think? or should I just suck it up and take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Should have it looked at,,must be a reason why it won't idle,, 580 works good with 4500 engagement,, what is idle at now??,, must be near 4000 if you need to raise the engagement,,,R2R

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty close to it. clutch is engaged at idle, but just barely. going to take it in. if its too much to fix I will just raise the engagement rpm. I just didn't want to spend any cash on it as it is just a beat up spare for my girlfriend and neices. Thanks for your help :beerchug:

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you change the weights you will have to change the spring too,so just get a spring that starts different than what you have and finishes the same,that way your engagement changes and top rpm stays the same,

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
nobody is wrong they both can raise engagement depending on what you put in there. And have someone check it out you don't want your gf or nieces doing holeshots just to get the sled moving do you?[/b]

Yes they can but why would you change the weights if all you want to do is raise the engagement?, :dunno: ,R2R

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nobody is wrong they both can raise engagement depending on what you put in there. And have someone check it out you don't want your gf or nieces doing holeshots just to get the sled moving do you?[/b]

LOL my girlfriend would love it, Have to keep it a bit toned down for the neices but they are good riders. Chances are I will just fix the problem at hand. I was just trying to be cheap because I am building a house and have no $ at the moment. And there is no damn snow either :veryangry:

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Here is my therory:

Decreasing the weight on the primary means you need to spin the clutch at a higher RPM to get the weights to move the sheaves together. That is with the same spring. And this could be done with the clutch on the machine. (It would be difficult but it can be done)
Changing the spring to a higher tension makes the existing weights engage at a higher RPM. This requires the clutch to be disassembled.

The real problem I see with your sled appears to be the high idle that seems to have the clutch on the edge of engageing. There was another thread about a 580efi with high idle and I believe the Throttle Sensor on the Throttle bodies was the culprit. Once they were plugged in the idle came way down. You may find the idle is a cheaper fix than the clutch.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Here is my therory:

Decreasing the weight on the primary means you need to spin the clutch at a higher RPM to get the weights to move the sheaves together. That is with the same spring. And this could be done with the clutch on the machine. (It would be difficult but it can be done)
Changing the spring to a higher tension makes the existing weights engage at a higher RPM. This requires the clutch to be disassembled.

The real problem I see with your sled appears to be the high idle that seems to have the clutch on the edge of engageing. There was another thread about a 580efi with high idle and I believe the Throttle Sensor on the Throttle bodies was the culprit. Once they were plugged in the idle came way down. You may find the idle is a cheaper fix than the clutch.[/b]

Yes , It is easier to change the weights,, but decreasing the weights will have more effect on the sleds performance , like over rev on top end, it effects more then engagement,, the spring will only effect engagement as long as the finish rate is close to the same as one stock one,, R2R

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Polskiogorki, check your intake boots ( the rubber things that attache the throttle bodies to the motor) ..
mine were cracked bigtime and thats why mine was idling fast. don't drive it long before replacing them you'll burn it down if you do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Polskiogorki, check your intake boots ( the rubber things that attache the throttle bodies to the motor) ..
mine were cracked bigtime and thats why mine was idling fast. don't drive it long before replacing them you'll burn it down if you do.[/b]

Thats the problem, I spent the $100 and changed the boots because thats what everyone said, and it made perfect sense to me too but it did not fix the prob. I will try to find the throttle position sensor to see if its hooked up but I did not see anything loose or hanging when I was putting it back together. Also I broke the temp probe off by mistake pushing the throttle bodies into the new boots. BTW my clutches are good, I rebuilt them and only drove the sled for a few weekends before I bought a new one and has only been used once and a while by a few girlfriends and my dad for icefishing.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The temp probe could be an issue. If the motor senses the sled is cold it will enrichen the fuel mixture to make sure the the ratio is best for combustion. If the probe does not send a signal that there is a rise in temperature, the mixture will continue to be rich. This could explain the fast idle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts