Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally got my new gear, a set of FXR adrenaline that mostly fit well enough i'm happy with. so now i want to wash my old(6+years old) F.A.S.T jacket, as it's still way too warm to switch to the new one, any suggestions on how to clean it? it's too worn to read the stamped label.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Not sure what a FAST jacket is, I had a FXR race shell that had a white lining on the inside (water repellent layer?). It self destructed in the washer washing as the label instructed. Be careful and following instructions doesn't always work.

White shit all over everything for a couple of loads after that mishap.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not sure what a FAST jacket is, I had a FXR race shell that had a white lining on the inside (water repellent layer?). It self destructed in the washer washing as the label instructed. Be careful and following instructions doesn't always work.

White shit all over everything for a couple of loads after that mishap.
FAST= float assist safety tech, basically helps you float if you go through the ice. oh and that's the exact reason why i'm asking, last thing i want is to ruin the jacket or the washes lol.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always wash my gear on delicate cold cycle and hang to dry.

This is also from spending a decade on a gear washing forum so I know what i'm talking about.
guess i'll try that, and wash the hubby's old jackets too with a hope and a prayer.

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
I just bring mine to the cleaners and pick it up a couple days later. Otherwise when doing several trips up in quebec for a season i never bothered to have it cleaned...a grubby jacket, and bibs builds character.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bring mine to the cleaners and pick it up a couple days later. Otherwise when doing several trips up in quebec for a season i never bothered to have it cleaned...a grubby jacket, and bibs builds character.
it's been my winter jacket for the last 6 ish years, not just for sledding, so the bright green/yellow is grungy from being at the garage and stuff... plus it smells like exhaust lmao.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As Gocky said. Wash on delicate cold and hang dry or lowest setting on dryer. Improperly washing/drying your gear can degrade the water/wind proofing capability of your clothing.
Haven't tried dry cleaning my stuff.

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
it's been my winter jacket for the last 6 ish years, not just for sledding, so the bright green/yellow is grungy from being at the garage and stuff... plus it smells like exhaust lmao.
:dunno: Tell you the truth i never notice any 2 stroke exhaust smell on my jacket or bibs. With the 2 stroke oil i use, the odor doesn't seem to linger or at least very long. My issue is picking up grease stains from working on everyone's sled.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Family owned a drycleaners for 80 years. How to wash depends completely depends on the waterproofing texhnology. From that the outer layer must be clean or you will saturate and get wet. I haven't looked at the floating layer, but would adhere to their directions. Delicate cycles in general are useless. Anything that states that is the only way to wash and says waterproof is not going to work super well.

Btw....woolite is probably one of the worst possible detergents. Don't believe that is gentle.

·
Administrator
20,619 Posts

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
Family owned a drycleaners for 80 years. How to wash depends completely depends on the waterproofing texhnology. From that the outer layer must be clean or you will saturate and get wet. I haven't looked at the floating layer, but would adhere to their directions. Delicate cycles in general are useless. Anything that states that is the only way to wash and says waterproof is not going to work super well.

Btw....woolite is probably one of the worst possible detergents. Don't believe that is gentle.
My stuff is gor-tex its why i let the cleaners worry about it at the seasons end.

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
862 Posts
I would check their website for instructions if your tags are toast.

My stuff isn't that expensive, have washed in warm water, with a little Lestoil in it. Seems to be good at getting rid of the oil smell and stains.

Hang to dry, the heat of the dryer will ruin the waterproof coating.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Hanging in the sun on a dry day, for a day, removes most of the 2 stroke smell. I hang mine once in spring and then once in fall.

My bibs are starting to let some water thru, I need to find out what to do for that.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well we're snowing(let it snow let it snow let it snow!), so can't hang out to dry, and we got hit with hurricane force winds last week which caused our area to flood(i'm in tay township), so hanging in the basement will have to wait till it's fully dry again. i don't trust sticking it in the dryer.

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,700 Posts

Welcome back Kelly-lynn - - - :bc:

Snowmobile Vacation.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts