Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote about my ace 900 conclusions and thought i might trade it in but maybe i should be looking at what i can do to it to wake it up to be closer to an etch 600?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have a PB 80 spinning 7900 rpms , hope it perks it up some but just a band aid till I go back to 1200 or whatevers next . 900's awesome but the wife uses the 1+1 seat more and more so need more giddy up

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a friend that has both a 900 ACE and a 600 ETEC and he will take the 900 ACE every time, much more fun to ride period. As far as waking it up, try a clutch kit and studs. These 900 ACE engines have a ton of torque and need traction. I run with 800cc sleds on the trail and have no problem keeping up. Also rode with a new Viper last year and left him behind, he could not keep up in the trails. He rode my sled and stated it was much more refined than his. I came off from a 600 SDI HO 2007 REV and will tell you hands down this is a much nicer sled!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a PB 80 spinning 7900 rpms , hope it perks it up some but just a band aid till I go back to 1200 or whatevers next . 900's awesome but the wife uses the 1+1 seat more and more so need more giddy up
or a thinner wife :escape:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Woke our 14' Gade up with Cudneys clutch kit.
With me 235# dressed I've seen 87mph on the lake GPS.
96 studs, linq fuel caddy full and linq bag. My son, who took it over is #160 he's seen 92 GPS. He had a 600 2smoke and prefers the 900 way more.
I'm now on a 1200 Enduro, the girls each have 600 2smokes, hoping to make it a 4 stroke family over the next couple years.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
if you want to go faster, just spend your money on a 1200..

We had 900's for 3 yrs..loved the sleds..But went back to 12's..What a difference ..
Plus they don't feel any heavier..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had posted earlier about how the secondary broke. Skidoo replaced the complete clutch with the updated spring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you want to go faster, just spend your money on a 1200..

We had 900's for 3 yrs..loved the sleds..But went back to 12's..What a difference ..
Plus they don't feel any heavier..
We have 3 900's and 2 16' 1200's. There is a very noticeable weight difference up front. I never thought I'd say it, but........I'll take the 900 for all around trail performance when riding with the family.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wrote about my ace 900 conclusions and thought i might trade it in but maybe i should be looking at what i can do to it to wake it up to be closer to an etch 600?
Might as well trade it or sell it if you're looking for more top end.
It still amazes me as to why a knowledgeable rider would buy a 90 hp sled and expect 120 hp or more in performance:dunno:.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
We have 3 900's and 2 16' 1200's. There is a very noticeable weight difference up front. I never thought I'd say it, but........I'll take the 900 for all around trail performance when riding with the family.
Well my 110 lb. wife has no issues, that's what I go by..
The 1200 X is only 10 lbs. heavier that the 9's we had..Hit the flipper and the front end will jump up..compared to the 9's..
Lots of people think the 12's are tanks..lift weights boys. My wife gets in shape for sled season..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well my 110 lb. wife has no issues, that's what I go by..
The 1200 X is only 10 lbs. heavier that the 9's we had..Hit the flipper and the front end will jump up..compared to the 9's..
Lots of people think the 12's are tanks..lift weights boys. My wife gets in shape for sled season..
Yup, I need to lift more weights I guess cuz I'm just a paltry 6'8"/300lb barrel of whoop-a$$ that can throw a 1200 around like a Elan.......but I'll still call it the way I see it since we have a number of 9's and 12's in the family. The 1200 isn't a heavyweight by any means, but it's much heavier over the skis than a 900 and I don't care who's scale ya use. I like most things about my 16 Renegade 1200 X just fine, but I'd take a 900 Renegade X (if Doo would make it) all day long for normal trail riding. The 1200 has a ton more torque than the 900 if that's what you desire, but the 900 accelerates as well as most 600's to 75mph, is much quieter / smoother and gets a solid 5+mpg better than our 1200's.
It's a matter of preference and nothing more.:bc2:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If your that size you should be able to bench press the 1200..
The weight should be a non issue for you..
We had 2011 -1200's that we put on over 20,000KMS on each sled ..Just think its funny how people complain about 10 to 20 lbs and make it sound like its 100 lbs..
Each to their own like you said..
Heavy is a Yamaha Apex...everything else is light..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not complaining of the 1200's weight. If the weight was an issue, I wouldn't have bought another one. Just saying that the weight difference between a 900 and 1200 is noticeable because it's right over the skis. It's really a non-issue for most and not why I prefer to ride our 900's more often than the 12.
I'm not a fan of the ITC throttle on the 900 just for the same reasons that your wife is complaining about. The throttle isn't progressive enough, whereas, you have to get well into the first 2/3-3/4 throttle to run a normal trail speed. Our 15' 900's are worse than our 16' 900. The 16' seems to be much better, but could still be tweaked some. I've been told that it's all in the programming.
The ITC on the 12's has a different issue. Our 16' 1200's with ITC have a short delay in throttle response. Hit the throttle to the bar and wait for it to respond. Back off from WOT and there's a delay there too. Almost like the throttle sticks for a split second. This is in Sport mode.
I'd take a cable throttle over ITC on either sled if it was an option.
We miss the throttle response of our Apex engines, but sure don't miss the chassis or exhaust drone. That Yamaha engine is the only thing that kept us riding those outdated chassis for so long.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts