Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a F7 snow pro and cant keep the skis on the ground while in turns
accelerating out. got eight inch carbides done all robs set ups .front shocks are backed off.front skid shock is loose to .I just cant get to corner like my zr used to. try it with coupler blocks in and out going to wy next week dont want to fight it next week any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
369 Posts
You can't sit back with your feet in the footholds....best body position is with feet even with your hips...then when approaching a corner,lean your body forward with your knee hitting the flat part of your sled above the footholds....works every time. Don't get frustrated....it takes time to get adjusted to the new riding style. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be smiling every time you see a sharp corner coming............. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
All I did was dial in my front springs and that seemed to work for me (10 full turns). Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is nothing that will make this machine corner like the ZR's. I've done everything that anyone has suggested. Look at the firecat, how high it sits up in the air. You have to ride it like a motorcycle!

I've gotten used to my F7 cornering the way it does so I'm pretty happy with it now. Last night I switched with a guy I was riding with. He's got an 02 Viper. Man does this thing corner! When we stopped and I got his impressions of the ride all he said was it would take some getting used to. We both agreed that the cat has a better rear suspension and more midrange power. Top end I don't know, we never did line them up. The handling thru the twisty trails was no contest. Viper hands down.

Don't get me wrong. I have green blood running thru my vains. I'm not whining but I think Cat's making a big mistake leaving the ZR chassis behind. Come on guys, you can't deny it. Go watch a cross country race, anyone riding a firecat fights the machine in the corners. Inside ski will not stay down.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
If you have bottomless pockets and want the sled to corner flat and accelerate flat buy the X-link suspension. It's amazing how it keeps the skis on the snow.

Cat S.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Has anyone added idler wheels to the outside of the rails????

When Cat narrowed the skid, they did so in TWO ways. Not only are the rails closer together, but their are no wheels outside of the rails. When you ride down the trail, you are riding on the rails. On a sled with extrnal idlers, you are also riding on the wheels (and a wider footprint).

I would love to hear from anyone who has added external rear wheels as well as a couple sets of external idlers ou near the front of the rails. I have to believe this would be a major change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IOWACAT - If you backed the front (ski) springs off too much, the sled will roll to the outside in a turn exagerating the tendency to lift the inside ski. Lift the front of the sled off the ground and make sure that there is enough preload on the springs to keep them from rattling on the preload collar. I know guys that have backed the preload down on the trail, thinking that they were doing what Rob suggested, and made things much worse. Fine adjustments, more aggressive carbides, seating position, and better skis will all help your Firecat's handling. The high center of gravity takes some of it away. I ride with a friend that has a Formula Plus Ski Doo with 5 inches of suspension travel, and it handles the turns like it's on rails (as long as the turns are smooth). I'd watch Oprah before I'd ride it, however! :lol:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Guys, bar -none the best $35 I spent on the sled is for a 5/8 sway bar,no need to cranck up the ski springs and get a harsh ride or pogo effect.No more push keeps the outside ski planted doesent feel like its rolling out shoving the ski out from underneith you and helps keep the inside ski down in the corners. Very close to my previous ZR's. With a set of aftermarket skis I'm sure ill be there. Had to do this with an 01 800, motor sat high, heavy in the front and kept body roll to a minimum. Give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i tried everything to get this thing to corner, nothing worked good for me, first it pushed so f'n bad i couldnt ride it through the corners. when i finally got it so the skis would dig in, the track would hook and the think damn near rolled all the way over, then i was pissed, finally no push, but it still wouldnt corner because it wanted snap roll over on its side.

All i can say is do a FOUR WHEEL KIT, THIS THING HAS HALF THE BODY ROLL.
You can actually get it to get up on one ski, i like this, and it will smoothly rail around the corner without the bucking and snap roll effect, i think i will also try a 5/8 sway bar to back the springs down some.
I work for a dealer, our rep was here today and i discussed this with him, and he found it farely interesting and was going to relay this info to greg spaulding at arctic cat.
you cant go wrong with this kit, anyone that has a question about this give me a call at 1-800-456-0240, my name is joe, ill happily go into this
i also havE 10" competition carbides on it.
Ive got a set of c&a skis on the way to try, well see how this works
joe

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
On a std, I can very highly recommend running no less than 3" of thread showing on the front ski springs, and the Stud Boy 9" Shaper bars.

I've heard enough good things from a few of you guys about the 5/8" sway bar, that I'm pretty sure I'll have to give one a try next year. I'd hope that it wouldn't make the front end TOO jarring when hitting the off-camber bumps??? Thanks for the good feedback here! -- Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
F-7 standard - loosen front spring in skid , 170 studs , 10" carbides , loosen ski springs ,
(LIMITER STRAPS TO SHORTEST POSISTION - last hole) Keep rider weight forward
RIDES LIKE A NEW SLED

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sled setting flat on the floor,loosen front skid spring then tighten 1 turn preload.Tighten front springs,controlls tipping and sails over mogels.It will dart,SLTs fix that.Worked on my F7SP 170 studs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i believe rob is not a very aggresive rider, so if you are don't use his setup! my f-7 sp is much better!!! with middle limiter strap hole,1 turn from loose front skid spring, tight front shock spings two turns from stock, 7.5 shaper carbides, no studs yet. my dealer wouldn't stud it?? i will this summer, and do 9 inch carbides, zr's are ok! ive had a couple, but f-7 sp rule for aggresive trail ridding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts