Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What trails or logging roads can you use to get across from Coburn Gore to Jackman without going down to Eustis and hooking on 86/89 ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
It actually can be done, but you need to know your way very well. If you have to ask, you'll never make it. Very few know and it'll probably stay that way so it doesn't get ruined like the border cut by Bosebucks.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You may be right Blazin, but I say it can't be done unless you start a dozen miles south of Coburn Gore and head across. But won't make it by sled due to the plowed roads.
Only way from Coburn to Jackman is via Quebec. If you look at the map there is a huge gap of Quebec land that dips down into Maine just west of Coburn Gore. There are no north-south roads by Coburn that parellel Rt 27. I've flown over the area looking and just can't find that connection.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You may be right Blazin, but I say it can't be done unless you start a dozen miles south of Coburn Gore and head across. But won't make it by sled due to the plowed roads.
Only way from Coburn to Jackman is via Quebec. If you look at the map there is a huge gap of Quebec land that dips down into Maine just west of Coburn Gore. There are no north-south roads by Coburn that parellel Rt 27. I've flown over the area looking and just can't find that connection.[/b]

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In rethinking this, guess you could go south from Coburn and then head east. Done it many times in the fall by truck, but think plowed roads would prevent this via sled.
Nice ride by truck now that the new bridge is in over the Moose. Much better than coming out at Parlin, but you really need a good idea of where you are going to find the new way.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It can be done and word on the street is that next year there may be an ITS trail that does it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Heard next year they may again start going by the end of Spencer. Supposedly the gentleman that bought the lake is going to give permission.

·
Registered
439 Posts
In rethinking this, guess you could go south from Coburn and then head east. Done it many times in the fall by truck, but think plowed roads would prevent this via sled.
Nice ride by truck now that the new bridge is in over the Moose. Much better than coming out at Parlin, but you really need a good idea of where you are going to find the new way.[/b]
Your right Mike.......I have been up the Gold Brook Rd gold panning many times and it will eventually connect up with the road on the north east end of Spencer lake which we alsways then rode on the old 89 onto Jackman

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Goldbrook to Appleton Corner, through Native land, over the new Moose river Bridge, up to the Holeb Road and to the Border Riders club trails from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
By truck you can hit Appleton Corner and head out directly to Rt 201.
Or at Appleton you can go into Indian land and take the new bridge across the Moose. But it isn't easy finding the way from Appleton to the new Bridge, going east.
I did some bicycling in the Holeb area this summer. Anyone remember the old lumber mill that used to be in Holeb in the early 70's. Its now an airstrip. The old houses for the customs agents are still there, agents I guess use to check the trains coming in from Canada. There also used to be a back trail that was a short cut to Holeb Lake, but I couldn't find it and was told the small bridges were out and couldn't get through. In the early '70's we at one time had a sled route from Eustis to Jackman that was only 45 miles and included riding the Moose River for 3 miles and then going up the lakes.
While up there I also bicycled into Skinner Junction. Quite the bridge going into the camps, for those that have been there.
Mike

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
By truck you can hit Appleton Corner and head out directly to Rt 201.
Or at Appleton you can go into Indian land and take the new bridge across the Moose. But it isn't easy finding the way from Appleton to the new Bridge, going east.
I did some bicycling in the Holeb area this summer. Anyone remember the old lumber mill that used to be in Holeb in the early 70's. Its now an airstrip. The old houses for the customs agents are still there, agents I guess use to check the trains coming in from Canada. There also used to be a back trail that was a short cut to Holeb Lake, but I couldn't find it and was told the small bridges were out and couldn't get through. In the early '70's we at one time had a sled route from Eustis to Jackman that was only 45 miles and included riding the Moose River for 3 miles and then going up the lakes.
While up there I also bicycled into Skinner Junction. Quite the bridge going into the camps, for those that have been there.
Mike[/b]
I have hunted that area for years and the road from Appleton north the bridge could be found by a blind man! Everything else is a dead end. From Appleton back to 201 on the Hardscrabble/Spencer road is 23 miles and it's usually plowed, so I hear the new ITS if made with utilize the new bridge.

I have tried to find Skinner, but never have. Tried to hunt the tracks where it goes through, but I beleive that is native land also.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you are going north past Appleton corner and taking the new bridge across the Moose (by Holeb), you would be blind not to find Skinner as you are only a couple miles from it when you make a turn.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Only way from Coburn to Jackman is via Quebec. If you look at the map there is a huge gap of Quebec land that dips down into Maine just west of Coburn Gore. There are no north-south roads by Coburn that parellel Rt 27. I've flown over the area looking and just can't find that connection.[/b]

I wasn't talking road riding. I was talking complete boon docking using the border cut and twitch trails to get around the head walls. The Jackman locals do it regularly, but I've yet to make the trek.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Makes sense. I didn't consider the border cut and have never been on that section of it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you are going north past Appleton corner and taking the new bridge across the Moose (by Holeb), you would be blind not to find Skinner as you are only a couple miles from it when you make a turn.[/b]
I was on foot traveling out of a canoe. By truck I know where the settlement is. I was trying to navigate using the RR tracks and previous GPS points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts