Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ZL 600 EFI, and i can only get 88 mph top speed. Are there any adjustments that can be made to get more top speed?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
^^^Only if the battery puts out 1.21 jiggawatts...

Look into some gearing, clutch combos and/or different helix. You do realize it's a give & take deal tho. Top speed is fun in the right situation. If you're mostly a trail rider tho, you rarely have the room to wind it out all the way & will lose power in the "fun zone". The right multi-angle helix will help tho.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Well if you want more top speed you are going to have to cut away some of the handle bar grip and grind down some of the handle bar so you can push the throttle down more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if you want more top speed you are going to have to cut away some of the handle bar grip and grind down some of the handle bar so you can push the throttle down more.[/b]
You have no clue what your talking about. You gotta be joking. :russian_roulette:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
ok thanks. anyone else have any other ideas?[/b]
Other than the ways that work for everyone else?
1. JATO bottle
2. Go fast stickers
3. The nearest cliff

Well if you want more top speed you are going to have to cut away some of the handle bar grip and grind down some of the handle bar so you can push the throttle down more.[/b]
WTF was I thinking with all the traditional stuff. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have a 2000 ZL 600 EFI, and i can only get 88 mph top speed. Are there any adjustments that can be made to get more top speed?

Thanks for your help![/b]
That sled should do 102 or so. First thing to check is the belt, try a differnt one. Second is the clutch setup....what do you have, and what rpm's are you running. Those things are also notorioius for the stators going bad. Need to know your rpms

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't believe nobody has just come out and say "There's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT" lol. Try getting a bigger sled...

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Can't believe nobody has just come out and say "There's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT" lol. Try getting a bigger sled...[/b]
Took me 2 years to realize that. Wanted more than a ZR6 and got an F7. It's actually slower on top end but gets there quick, low gearing

For higher top end you could try gearing higher, add a tooth or 2 on top, or take away 1 or 2 from the bottom. That will make the acceleration not as snappy and will take longer to get to the top but it will go faster.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't believe nobody has just come out and say "There's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT" lol. Try getting a bigger sled...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Make sure all the basics that are free and confirm a properly running sled are covered. As stated before make sure you have a new belt, clutches are aligned and shifting out all the way, track is loose, check the plugs and make sure the jetting is correct, make sure the skis are aligned (out 1/4" at ski loop). After that you can look at the difference changing the gearing for higher speeds, clutch kits to make it accelerate faster, and pipes/mod work to make it blow up faster. Start with the free stuff- you'd be amazed how much you will gain.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That sled should do 102 or so. First thing to check is the belt, try a differnt one. Second is the clutch setup....what do you have, and what rpm's are you running. Those things are also notorioius for the stators going bad. Need to know your rpms[/b]
WHAT?!?! i have yet to see the speedo go over 95!...102 cant be right for a stock sled...i have a few mods and still dont see 100...im running a 60-53 helix with stock red/white in the 2nd hole and am not seeing numbers that high...

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Go on a diet.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
kidding kidding....

You may have some gunked up fuel injectors. An easy solution would be to run some seafoam fuel additive to your gas and even your oil to help clean it out. It will clean any deposits in your engine too. Might be a good first step before replacing parts.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
ok thanks. Any other ideas?[/b]
After the flux capacitor mod, take a look at your primary clutch. If your machine has: more than 2000 miles, corrosion, or was used by kids, hunters, or fishermen, it is probably toast. The 9 tower on a cat 600 is not very resilient to the torsional vibrations produced. This is exacerbated by the narrow cam arms that these sleds come with. The cams will twist, turn, and bind their way to non full shift out. Take this suggestion only after you have confirmed that the sled is at peak rpm 7900-8100, and your belt is confirmed to be in good condition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts