Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went out to the garage to try and get the sled ready to go. Worked on some things for a couple hours, and then try to fire it up. Couldn't get it to start or even close to starting.So I got pissed and called it a day. Well all night it was bugging me that my sled wouldn't start. Every year I do the same routine fog the motor etc. and the sled starts up pretty easy in the fall 5-6 pulls.Well today I go out pull the drain plugs in the crank, and get some fogging oil to come out.Try it again with new plugs and nothing. Plugs are coming out wet like there are getting gas, but can't tell if it was fogging oil or not. So I pour some gas in the clyinders and she fires right up. So now I start tracing my fuel lines.No gas anywhere so I pull the pick up line out of the tank. I have no line off the pick up going in the tank. :dunno: Ran fine until I put it away last spring. How does the line break off of this fitting while in storage? Here are some pics. :banghead:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you have the oil/coolant bottle off at some time during storage? I know sometimes it's a fight to get it on/off. The action of this may have put pressure against the fitting and sheared the line????
Just a guess...

Trevor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually I looked at your pic again. That is the part that sits inside the tank isn't it? If that's the case I have no idea..

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Fox Click@Oct 15 2005, 02:38 PM
there's a clamp that holds the hose on theremaybe there was never a clamp and it finally fell off  my 2 cents
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=931652
[/quote]

Clamp was still on there. The hose broke after the clamp. :dunno:
Originally posted by Trevor@Oct 15 2005, 02:43 PM
Actually I looked at your pic again.  That is the part that sits inside the tank isn't it?  If that's the case I have no idea..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=931661
[/quote]
Yes this is the piece that goes into the tank right by the oil resivior.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,254 Posts
seen that happen before, fuel softens the hose and it can break off. worth replaceing every couple of years to be safe

even had it happen once on a older Indy while riding up north. if you keep the tank level above that nipple, you may never know the line is broken off

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see the line in the bottom of my tank.There is suppose to be a filter at the end of it. I don't see it in there. :dunno: It's like $28 for that filter and the dealer doesn't have one in stock. Any way I just put a new line on there temporarly to get the sled fired up and to put it in the trailER.Now it won't draw any fuel even with a new line on there.Anyone have any suggestions why it's not drawing any fuel from the tank? :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by racerdave@Oct 15 2005, 03:53 PM
seen that happen before, fuel softens the hose and it can break off. worth replaceing every couple of years to be safe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=931748
[/quote]
Thats what the dealer told me too.I have never had that happen before, and have had sleds longer then this one. :dunno:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Without a pickup filter it may have picked up some junk from the bottom of the tank. Line might be plugged. Also, I know this may insult you a little but just make sure the fuel switch is on. I pulled for like 15 minutes one time last season. Couldn't figure out at first why it wouldn't draw fuel til I finally noticed....

Also, the pickup filter is weighted so it sits in the bottom of the tank. Without a weight the line may actually be above the fuel level. Be sure the end of the line in the tank is actually submerged in the fuel.

Trevor

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The line doesn't have anything in it. I can syphon gas out of it before the shutoff valve. But when I have everything hooked up it's not pulling any gas out of the tank. :dunno: So I know the hose is in the gas.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
are you running fuel additives like Sta-bil?? i have seen several different additives that promote fuel line degredation. they also eat at the diaphrams in the pump. my bet is that your pick-up sceen/weight is still in the tank and your pulse line diaphram is ripped. double check your fuel pump check valves as well. lift the rear of the sled as high as you can and the screen should come to the front, then use a grabber tool.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my boat tank a couple of years ago. I was running across the lake, and the outboad died. Fortunately, I had 2 tanks on the boat, and switched over to the other tank. The best explanation I got was the alcohol in the gas deteriorated the vinyl fuel line. I replaced them with reinforced rubber lines (like those for autos) and didn't have the problem again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
had same thing happen to my budies 600 pro x.. took me 3 tries off cleanin piolt jet to get it to run.. that line disinagreated into smaller and smaller pieces.. there fore stickin in the carbs....

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am sure the pick up is steel, One of my fasvorite riding tools is an extendable magnet (will p/u 10lbs). If you have one try fishing, you may not see hose end, but when it hits you'll know.

Some pick ups are a check valve also. Not sure about yours, if it needs a check valve it may be hard to start syphon to fuel pump. Check vacumn line from fuel pump to block, maybee you have several line problems. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Thinksno@Oct 17 2005, 08:02 PM
I am sure the pick up is steel, One of my fasvorite riding tools is an extendable magnet (will p/u 10lbs). If you have one try fishing, you may not see hose end, but when it hits you'll know.

Some pick ups are a check valve also. Not sure about yours, if it needs a check valve it may be hard to start syphon to fuel pump. Check vacumn line from fuel pump to block, maybee you have several line problems. Good luck
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=936220
[/quote]
I tried that with a magnet and had no luck. I'm sure it's in there, but haven't got it out yet. I can see the old line laying in the bottom of the tank. I can't find my tool that would be perfect to grab the line. :banghead: I got the sled running with a temporary fix. :div20:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
what about a long pair of those things people use to take the hook out a large fishes stomach when it swallows the hook? will those be long enough to reach down in there to get the hose out ? we have a pair over a foot long.

ps .....try jacking the rear of the sled about 4 feet off the ground and then go fishing for the metal thing with the magent . you would think it would go to the front of the tank when you lift the back so you it would have to be in the front somewhere ? :div20: :dunno: :cn: good luck bud

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a long flexible tool used to pick things up. Problem is I can't find it. I tried the magnet all over the bottom of the tank with no luck. Does anybody know for sure that it's steel and not aluminum?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i can get a picture for you really quick if you need it , cause i just took mine out of my tank the other day , it seems like really cheap metal actually . almost like a thimble on the end :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Oct 18 2005, 04:19 PM
i can get a picture for you really quick if you need it , cause i just took mine out of my tank the other day , it seems like really cheap metal actually . almost like a thimble on the end  :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=938296
[/quote]
Will a magnet pick it up? If so maybe the sob is hiding in the corner. :dunno: Probably won't mess with it for a while again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts