Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be selling my 2000 srx after the new year. The speedo just broke within the last 5 miles of riding. It may be the plastic finger at the end of the cable. The sled has about 3k on it. Im contimplating fixing it. If you were buying the bike for $2500 how much would you want the price droped because of the speedo?

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
its a good job chain case cover off, remove all the gears, take off speedo drive from left side, drop track, skid, then drop the drive shaft, replace bearing and put it all back together again...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the bearing I thought you were talking about. I actually replaced that on my 97' zr a few years back. It was a mother then too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never replaced the bearing in a Yamaha , but it should be the same as all other brands.
-No need to touch chain case or remove track.
- Loosen track.
-Remove bearing holder bolts.
-Wiggle , pry, tap, etc.[maybe an allen set screw that locks bearing excentric to shaft] to get bearing out hole in body.
-Install new brg.
-Replace holder bolts.
-Install new speedo drive key.
-Tighten track.
-Should be good to go.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe there are too 12 or 14mm nuts on the back side of the carriage bolts on the clutch side, and from what I can remember you have to take the chaincase off to get the shaft out and pull the clutch off.....it really shouldnt be THAT bad you're looking at probably 2 hours maybe a little more id say with the whole sha-bang. Oh and BTW google some online micochifes that way you can see exactly what you need to take off and how everything goes backtogether it will also give you a part number for the bearing.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dident need to remove the track, It took 45 min to pull it apart and 30 to get it back together. Thanks for the info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts