Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many threads do you guys think need to engage in a partially stripped hole before you would trust it? I stripped the air bleed screw hole a while back and finally got a longer 6mm bolt. Original bolt was 10mm long. Threads in hole go about 14-15mm. Do you think 4-5mm of thread engagement is enough?

·
Registered
327 Posts
As a general rule of thumb i like to have thread depth at 1.5x the diameter of the screw.
For instance. On a 1/4-20 screw. 1.5 x .25 = .375 depth
You can get away with less but the formula above has always worked well for me

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Depends on the material right? On lets say a head stud, holding a motor together, 3/8 x 16 or whatever, in iron... It would be 3/8x 1.5, but this is an air bleed screw, with only oil pressure pushing against it. I bet it'll be fine. Teflon tape it up, and just snug it. No non clicker torque wrench this time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello firecat dude. I striped my bleeder screw as welll. It won’t tighten up. Just keeps turning.

what did you end up doing to solve your problem? Did you put a bigger or longer screw in.
Thanks for your time and I hope your able to read this

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello firecat dude. I striped my bleeder screw as welll. It won’t tighten up. Just keeps turning.

what did you end up doing to solve your problem? Did you put a bigger or longer screw in.
Thanks for your time and I hope your able to read this
If you have a few good threads left the tape, or PST Paste will work great. Neither will be affected by the little bit of oil that dribbles out. For the guy with NO threads left (screw just keeps turning) you can research what is the next closest screw in a tad bigger diameter (metric or SAE, just needs to be a few thou bigger) and you may get away with putting some PST paste on it and getting it to grab. Barely tighten it to be sufficient and say a little prayer. Don't flame me for suggesting this method. This is by NO means the text book way and i am a total redneck that has rigged many-a-sleds in resort parking lots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts