Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 XCR 850, 21 VR1 650, 21 VR1 850
969 Posts
It doesn’t matter how many studs you have in your track if you’re going to act like a meathead and spin your track over rocks coming out of corners or going up hills you’ll be investing in a new sneaker for your sled.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
It doesn’t matter how many studs you have in your track if you’re going to act like a meathead and spin your track over rocks coming out of corners or going up hills you’ll be investing in a new sneaker for your sled.
And you should get a bill from the groomer operator, and buy lunch for those using the trail after you've torn it up.

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
And you should get a bill from the groomer operator, and buy lunch for those using the trail after you've torn it up.
That does get irritating when I'm out grooming late at night during the week and you see a trail all torn up that you just groomed 2hrs prior.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,708 Posts
I made the decision this morning. First time not using Woodys on a sled since the late 70's. Going with 135 Fas Trac 1.500 Top guns 45 single Air Lite Sp and 45 Double Airlite SP backers in the Matryx 129 Cobra. Decided to try Fas Tracs studs so I could do a one stop shopping. I have used the Air Lite backers since around 2001. Always happy with them. What concerns me most about the studs is they do not have the shoulder Woodys has on the Gold Diggers. I have talked with Terry the owner many times in the past at Milwaukee show and for quite awhile this morning on the phone. . Believe me I am not knocking his studs. Change is just hard for this soon to be 65 year old dog.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Two studs per bar with Double backers, no pull outs.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I made the decision this morning. First time not using Woodys on a sled since the late 70's. Going with 135 Fas Trac 1.500 Top guns 45 single Air Lite Sp and 45 Double Airlite SP backers in the Matryx 129 Cobra. Decided to try Fas Tracs studs so I could do a one stop shopping. I have used the Air Lite backers since around 2001. Always happy with them. What concerns me most about the studs is they do not have the shoulder Woodys has on the Gold Diggers. I have talked with Terry the owner many times in the past at Milwaukee show and for quite awhile this morning on the phone. . Believe me I am not knocking his studs. Change is just hard for this soon to be 65 year old dog.
You will be very pleased with them. I have sold thousands, many to repeat customers, and have used them on some very powerful and heavy (200hp FST Cruiser, 10,000 miles) sleds. The shouldered studs are okay, if the thickness of your track, at every single hole, matches the shoulder height, so you end up with perfect squeeze. They don't work nearly as well with plastic backers, because the shoulder just works into the hole, eventually. With the Top Gun SS studs, even at seams of the track fabric material, where thickness varies, you just tighten until the head is flush with the inside of the track, that indicates how much clamping force is in place, and then stop tightening. You already know how good the backers hold up.

Why did you go with the Single Ply (SP) backers instead of the XL when you will be installing on a 2 ply track?

Let me know when you're having the stud install party, I'll bring down my 2,000 rpm Ingersoll high speed air drill, and we'll burn those hole in smoking (literally) FAST.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
You will be very pleased with them. I have sold thousands, many to repeat customers, and have used them on some very powerful and heavy (200hp FST Cruiser, 10,000 miles) sleds. The shouldered studs are okay, if the thickness of your track, at every single hole, matches the shoulder height, so you end up with perfect squeeze. They don't work nearly as well with plastic backers, because the shoulder just works into the hole, eventually. With the Top Gun SS studs, even at seams of the track fabric material, where thickness varies, you just tighten until the head is flush with the inside of the track, that indicates how much clamping force is in place, and then stop tightening. You already know how good the backers hold up.

·
Administrator
20,826 Posts
You won't be disappointed Dave, trust me. I have them in my current 2019, and they have held up every bit as good as a Woody's stud (and my install process is identical to yours with how you do your doubles). Great product, and also a great guy to do business with (Terry).

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,708 Posts
PSD I have used those SP backers for many years. They are a little bigger. Alittle more support IMO. Somewhere on Fas site I believe they rec them with longer studs. And by the way. From my 33 years as a squad car tech, my Chicago Pneaumatic 1/4 and 3/8 air drills still spin pretty good.:)

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Dave

Don't be concerned not having the shoulder if anything one advantage to Fast-trac is they pull up into the track to the point they are almost flush.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts