Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris is selling a stud kit for $399 for the 650 129, cobra or ripsaw. It includes 90 studs, 2 per. Doesn't seem like enough based on th 1 stud per hp rule of thumb? Thoughts?

·
Registered
Coming soon 850 VR1 & 650 VR1
978 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. If your looking for all out traction and do a lot of drag racing with your buddies then no, two won’t be enough. But if your looking for added traction and breaking in icy corners and hills, then yes it will suffice. I know people who run two per in their 850 doo’s with single ply tracks without any issues and they spin off about 4000 miles each season. Just make sure they are at least 1.45” anything shorter isn’t very effective in my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, no drag racing, just trail traction. Concerned about pull outs Too much torque on each studd. 1.45 yes.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,638 Posts
Polaris is selling a stud kit for $399 for the 650 129, cobra or ripsaw. It includes 90 studs, 2 per. Doesn't seem like enough based on th 1 stud per hp rule of thumb? Thoughts?
I'd go 3 per row, that's 135. 90 isn't enough IMO.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,710 Posts
I will do 135 Woodys 1.575 Gold Diggers

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
147 Posts
If you are worried about pull outs, you may want to consider the studs for single ply tracks. They have a larger head. My Stud Boy rep said a lot of people are doing it. I did it last year. Two per row on an 850 129. Bent a couple, but none pulled through.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I will do 135 Woodys 1.575 Gold Diggers
Dave, that 129 Cobra 1.35 on your sled, will be a double ply track, right?
The original 137 Cpbra 1/35 on MY15 600 SB Adventure was definitely a double ply.

I'm pretty old school in studding, to get an average of 3 per panel, I like to alternate a pair of double backers, then a left or right side double backer, and repeat. With 45 panels, it doesn't come out even, so I just end with a left then a right, and now I've got a place on the track to start & end track inspections. With patterns that come out even for a track, I'll just put in one different color or shape backer, to mark the "seam".

The big headed "single ply" studs, do cause a little more bind when they turn, and work the track when they make the bend. I wouldn't use them, unless I had REAL long studs, or a delicate track.

Reactions: racerdave

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
IMO studding heavy like that which was common place in the 1990's is not needed any longer. Sleds back then had more power than track, so they needed 144,192 studs. Today the tracks are so good I feel most can get by without studs at all, I would have no issues running the 90 stud kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rode half the year without any and half with 135 gold diggers 2/1 alternating down the middle . Recommend 135, helped stopping alot with stopping as well

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rode half the year without any and half with 135 gold diggers 2/1 alternating down the middle . Recommend 135, helped stopping alot with stopping as well
I'm still "torn" on which way to go. Simple and cheaper would be 90, 2 per. Safer, and more like what I'm used to, would be 3 per, 135. I'll have the sled for a long time, the extra $100 will be long forgotten. The extra 3 to 5 #s, in rotating mass will hit top end a little, but help corner to corner. Guess I know the answer. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
If Polaris is offering 2-per ... there's nothing wrong with that. I went with 2-per on my 2018 Assault 800 and it worked just fine. Anyone who's strictly looking for safety/traction and not necessarily race traction, using 2-per is OK.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
2 per. Or 4 per every other with double backers or .... :)

·
14,710 Posts
Dave, that 129 Cobra 1.35 on your sled, will be a double ply track, right?
The original 137 Cpbra 1/35 on MY15 600 SB Adventure was definitely a double ply.

I'm pretty old school in studding, to get an average of 3 per panel, I like to alternate a pair of double backers, then a left or right side double backer, and repeat. With 45 panels, it doesn't come out even, so I just end with a left then a right, and now I've got a place on the track to start & end track inspections. With patterns that come out even for a track, I'll just put in one different color or shape backer, to mark the "seam".

The big headed "single ply" studs, do cause a little more bind when they turn, and work the track when they make the bend. I wouldn't use them, unless I had REAL long studs, or a delicate track.
Yes it is a 2 ply. And will come out uneven. Not biggie for trails. This was my 19 850 129. I like the Fas Trac plastic backer. Their double is a little wider c-to-c than Woodys aluminum doubles. I use Woodys pattern. I only mark the singles and the out or inside of the double. I use a backer that is drilled out for the track drill to fit through. I put the 1 stud in, but the double backer on and use a normal nut to hold the backer in place. I then drill through the other backer hole. Takes more time, but keeps the spacing right. I will move the backer over a little left or right sometimes to try to keep the scratch lines. Again no biggie if they are not always offsett perfectly.

Reactions: Bontz and Doug S

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
racerdave,
Terry at Fast Trac is a good man to work with, I've sold thousands of their plastic backers and SS studs and haven't had complaints from anyone reasonable.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Yes it is a 2 ply. And will come out uneven. Not biggie for trails. This was my 19 850 129. I like the Fas Trac plastic backer. Their double is a little wider c-to-c than Woodys aluminum doubles. I use Woodys pattern. I only mark the singles and the out or inside of the double. I use a backer that is drilled out for the track drill to fit through. I put the 1 stud in, but the double backer on and use a normal nut to hold the backer in place. I then drill through the other backer hole. Takes more time, but keeps the spacing right. I will move the backer over a little left or right sometimes to try to keep the scratch lines. Again no biggie if they are not always offsett perfectly. View attachment 2106721
That looks formilure

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My 2015 Indy 600 with a 1" track and 120 1.075" studs, and it hooked up real good. If I had a 650 with a 1.25" track, I think I would try 135 1.325" studs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes it is a 2 ply. And will come out uneven. Not biggie for trails. This was my 19 850 129. I like the Fas Trac plastic backer. Their double is a little wider c-to-c than Woodys aluminum doubles. I use Woodys pattern. I only mark the singles and the out or inside of the double. I use a backer that is drilled out for the track drill to fit through. I put the 1 stud in, but the double backer on and use a normal nut to hold the backer in place. I then drill through the other backer hole. Takes more time, but keeps the spacing right. I will move the backer over a little left or right sometimes to try to keep the scratch lines. Again no biggie if they are not always offsett perfectly. View attachment 2106721
This is basically what I did on my 16 Pro S. Works great. A little more than 2 per bar but not over the top.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If 96 studs is basically the minimum for a 600 -121 than how is 90 acceptable on a 650-129?
Just curious.

·
14,710 Posts
If 96 studs is basically the minimum for a 600 -121 than how is 90 acceptable on a 650-129?
Just curious.
My opinion, it depends on the type of rider you are.? 90 If you are generally easy on the throttle not constantly spinning your track u are probably ok. Braking and stability on ice will be much better. If you are constantly on/off the gas spinning your track with no concern with what is in or under the snow, good chance you may get a pullout bent studs. Your experience may differ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts