Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season is over for us, probably most everyone is done as well.
How many miles did u get on your EVO this season?

My son did 1519 MILES on his 2020 RMK EVO...

Did great and was able to go everywhere and do everything everybody else did..(except exceed 50 MPH)

Overall was a great season, except here the trails closed due to covid when there could have been a little more ridingtime available..:bigfinger:covid 19

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick question for all of you who have kids riding big miles on an EVO? Where, what states are you doing this in? Are you on public trails, and are their any age restrictions?

I live in Wisconsin, and the legal age limit to ride on trails is 12, with a certification course requirement. All of my kids have been riding sleds since they were 4 or 5, have had different sleds (sizes and hp) through different ages, all have been certified, but I really never allowed them to ride solo on public trails under 12. Our lake, our property, yes.

By no means am I a downer or rule stickler, just always felt and still believe that a rider younger then 12, regardless of sled or riding abilities, was / is more of a nuisance and detriment on the trails. I came across several kids I know were younger then 12 this year, and they were slowing up traffic, riding in the middle of the trail, and basically did not appear as confident as they should. Also came across several riders older then 12 on sleds bigger then they could handle, and even experienced one kid who was on an older Polaris 700 and his feet could not even touch the running boards. There are adults like this as well, but just personally think that anyone younger then 12 is not safe, for the child, their parent, or really for me if i encounter them on a public trail and in a potential split second decision making situation.

My 12 year old did 700 trail miles this year on his, which is not bad. Offered to buy him a new 600 Doo sport, but wants to ride the EVO another year, as he can really throw it around.

·
Registered
452 Posts
vermont age is 8 my daughter goes every where we ride and i feel safer with her on trails then 90 perfect of the people ..

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Quick question for all of you who have kids riding big miles on an EVO? Where, what states are you doing this in? Are you on public trails, and are their any age restrictions?

I live in Wisconsin, and the legal age limit to ride on trails is 12, with a certification course requirement. All of my kids have been riding sleds since they were 4 or 5, have had different sleds (sizes and hp) through different ages, all have been certified, but I really never allowed them to ride solo on public trails under 12. Our lake, our property, yes.

By no means am I a downer or rule stickler, just always felt and still believe that a rider younger then 12, regardless of sled or riding abilities, was / is more of a nuisance and detriment on the trails. I came across several kids I know were younger then 12 this year, and they were slowing up traffic, riding in the middle of the trail, and basically did not appear as confident as they should. Also came across several riders older then 12 on sleds bigger then they could handle, and even experienced one kid who was on an older Polaris 700 and his feet could not even touch the running boards. There are adults like this as well, but just personally think that anyone younger then 12 is not safe, for the child, their parent, or really for me if i encounter them on a public trail and in a potential split second decision making situation.

My 12 year old did 700 trail miles this year on his, which is not bad. Offered to buy him a new 600 Doo sport, but wants to ride the EVO another year, as he can really throw it around.
We are very remote in Northern Ontario and our cottage is surrounded by crown land. I have a skandic super wide track and a small groomer with literally hundreds of access roads we groom ourselves. We keep around 40 km on trail groomed for the 8-10 kids in the area to all share. We also have tones of untapped back country riding area. Lakes, portages, logging roads are all what we use with the kids.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are in Saskatchewan, legal trail age here is 12 with certification and adult supervision.
Almost all are public trail miles, with some off trail when allowable/possible

I feel 12 is a good age for starting to ride public trails...sure some younger ones may be ready but so many are not and not all parents have any common sense..
have seen way to many very little kids on 800s straddling tank only able to touch running boards with tip toes stretching to reach bars....these kids are not in control, not old enough and parents seem to have no concept of what could happen..besides it not being legal on public trails..

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've had 5 kids of my own and 4 grandson's and have been riding snowmobile's since the late 60's and I can honestly say that I would NEVER put any kid below the age of 12 on a public snowmobile trail. The past 10 years I've had my grandson's racing snowmobiles (starting them on 120 Stock at 4 years old then 120 Improved after two or three years and then 120 Champ when they are 8 or 9) so I know what it's like to get a kid to handle a snowmobile well. With that said, if you feel good about putting an 8 year old on a public trail ..... go for it .... just have plenty of insurance. The person who is letting his daughter ride in Vermont - you have to have insurance by law there but I'm sure if you talk to your insurance agent they would have an issue with you telling them that your 8 year old is actually running that sled.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've had 5 kids of my own and 4 grandson's and have been riding snowmobile's since the late 60's and I can honestly say that I would NEVER put any kid below the age of 12 on a public snowmobile trail. The past 10 years I've had my grandson's racing snowmobiles (starting them on 120 Stock at 4 years old then 120 Improved after two or three years and then 120 Champ when they are 8 or 9) so I know what it's like to get a kid to handle a snowmobile well. With that said, if you feel good about putting an 8 year old on a public trail ..... go for it .... just have plenty of insurance. The person who is letting his daughter ride in Vermont - you have to have insurance by law there but I'm sure if you talk to your insurance agent they would have an issue with you telling them that your 8 year old is actually running that sled. If you think 8,9 10 ,11 or 12 yrs old is

·
Registered
452 Posts
. THE VT LEGAL AGE IS 8 YRS OLD .... IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT RIDE IN VT YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS TELLING ME MY 8 YR OLD CANT HANDLE A SNOWMOBILE ON THE TRAIL .. WHY DONT YOU GO ON FACE BOOK UNDER POLARIS EVO AND READ THE AGES OF THE RIDERS ALL 8-9-10 YRS OLD .. GO TELL THE OTHER FIFTY PARENTS WHAT YOU THINK YOU WILL GET LAUGHED OFF THE FORUM ..THE ONLY PEOPLE INSURANCE COMPANYS SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT ARE GUYS RIDING 150HP MACHINES ON TRAILS THAT HAVE 35 TO 45MPH SPEED LIMITS ..( DONT KNOW WHO THE HELL YOU THINK YOU ARE SAYING IF I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT) ILL SHOW YOU WHAT I FEEL GOOD ABOUT .. ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS .. YOU GOT A PROBLEM MESSAGE ME OR CALL OR TEXT 203-509-7936 OR KEEP HIDING BEHIND THE KEY BOARD TYPING STUFF NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS..

·
Registered
1 Posts
. THE VT LEGAL AGE IS 8 YRS OLD .... IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT RIDE IN VT YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS TELLING ME MY 8 YR OLD CANT HANDLE A SNOWMOBILE ON THE TRAIL .. WHY DONT YOU GO ON FACE BOOK UNDER POLARIS EVO AND READ THE AGES OF THE RIDERS ALL 8-9-10 YRS OLD .. GO TELL THE OTHER FIFTY PARENTS WHAT YOU THINK YOU WILL GET LAUGHED OFF THE FORUM ..THE ONLY PEOPLE INSURANCE COMPANYS SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT ARE GUYS RIDING 150HP MACHINES ON TRAILS THAT HAVE 35 TO 45MPH SPEED LIMITS ..( DONT KNOW WHO THE HELL YOU THINK YOU ARE SAYING IF I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT) ILL SHOW YOU WHAT I FEEL GOOD ABOUT .. ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS .. YOU GOT A PROBLEM MESSAGE ME OR CALL OR TEXT 203-509-7936 OR KEEP HIDING BEHIND THE KEY BOARD TYPING STUFF NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS..
So sorry someone offended you. Unfortunately since you don’t own the trails but utilize them for recreation you are subject to rules not only for your safety but that of others. It is too bad that you harbor an obvious anger and threaten others when confronted with constructive discussion. I have been riding more than 50 years and in that time have taken more than 100 young riders on their first ride. Many continue riding while it didn’t fit others. Many are threatened by the capability and speed of the new sleds. Many riders are coming down trails at high rates of speed, disregarding the fact that others are out on the trails. In my experience most 8 years are not physically mature enough to get out of the way of a rapidly approaching 200 horse turbo. There is absolutely nothing wrong with training an 8 year old on a 2 up with an adult. There is no need to get so angry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts