Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
it depends somewhat on how many miles you plan on putting on this sled..

Under two thou, go ahead and stud.
Between two and four thou, better give it some thought.
Over four thou, don't do it, you don't need the aggrevation from the pulled out studs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Rob,

I have never studed before but am on the f7 due to extreme slipage. I understand your high mileage comment and resulting track wear. What do you do then if you go high mileage but are riding in icy, hard pack conditions?

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Captainkev@Dec 15 2002, 09:20 AM
Rob,

I have never studed before but am on the f7 due to extreme slipage. I understand your high mileage comment and resulting track wear. What do you do then if you go high mileage but are riding in icy, hard pack conditions?

Kevin
I've never had a problem on any kind of hardpack. Last year with the rains, I rode absolute glare ice in several places, the trick there is to be careful.. Sounds dumb, but that's what I do. Most of the guys I ride with are unstudded also. I studded my sleds for more than twenty winters and got tired of the studs pulling out and sometimes going through the rear coolers.. Now I can honestly say that I rarely miss them, and I certainly don't miss the expense and damage.

R

·
0 Posts
You have a very good point, about studs and miles. It should really depend on where you ride, conditions, how long you keep your sled, and your riding style.
Your riding style will change with and with out studs based on conditions.

I have studded all my sleds, but I ride on alot of lakes and icey conditions in up-state NY. Knock on wood, of the dozen or so sleds I have owned, only had one stud pull out but I don't ride 10 million miles like Rob. 3-4K then down the road the sled goes.

You really need to ride smart to keep the studs in the track, no washing the corners or spining your track every chance you get. You don't see car racers burning off their tires and winning a race. I have seen so many people waste there track with studs by riding like a t-jockey.

Ride smart with or with out studs. :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I strongly believe is studs as a safety device...we do alot of ice ridingin the midwest..maybe it depends on where you live...?

kj

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went with 96 dbl diggers in my sno pro track, mostly just for ice.
But I only put on like 2500 to 3000 miles on my sleds then i sell them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You won't know you need them until you hit that first icy corner, when you wish you had them. How much is your life worth? I now find driving high hp unstudded sleds the same as driving a sports car in the winter with summer tires. It's very dangerous. If I have to replace the track a few times it's worth it to me to have that extra margin of safety.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have extreme mixed emotions on the subject of studding. I would love not to stud, but everytime I go studless I have a "close call" of some kind that would not have happened if I had studs...so I always end up studding. With that said however, I would not stud a 1.375 track...Marc

·
Registered
130 Posts
although i think studs are the safest and most sure traction i wont stud my sleds becasue here in minnesota there are so many stupid laws about where i can and cant go and i dont wanna worry about it...im always on the ahard pack trails and never have a issue with the slippage on the trails..there are a few instances where there have been close calls on corners but i learn to be careful...if u dont wanna stud the 1.375 track is the next best thing...after having the taller lug track ill never go back to the .85 or 1 inch ..ill tak the top MPH loss by a few mph for better hookup in hardpack and better off trail performance ..to each there own

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAVE BEEN USING LUG STUDS LAST FEW YEARS...ZR 600 AND ZR 800.....WORK REALLY GOOD...MY BUDDY HAS A POLARIS ULTRA AND A 7OO SP HE HAS BEEN ABUSING HIS LUGS FOR TWO YEARS NOW THEY STAY IN REAL GOOD ....I THINK I WILL TRY THEM ON MY F7 SNO PRO LATER DOWN THE LINE...THE ONES I PUT ON MY ZR 800 HELPED WITH THE ICE PROBLEM BETTER THAN I THOUGHT...LIGHT WEIGHT AND YOU CAN TAKE THEM OUT OR REPLACE EASY..PUT AROUND TWO HUNDRED ON MY ZR 800 THE THING ROCKS....TAKES LESS THAN AN HOUR TO DO....

·
Registered
861 Posts
The comments regarding not studding the SnoPro track were mine as well till I went West on a Northbound Rd....................I fliped.
I found the longer lugs hooked up incredibly in the packed and powder. But on the icy Michigan roads/trails, it is looser in the back than my ZR with the .85 lugs. I would love to stay unstudded, but I think 96 or 102 studs will add a safety margin that I would't have otherwise. And when I do take the kids on the back.............well, keeping the kiddies safe is more important than a new track down the road.

Just my thoughts...................

Kevin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going to put 96 in whenever the river freezes . I like to put 500 to 1000 miles in crappy snow then stud when we get snow . The most i ever rode in a year was 5700 this year i think itll be 2000 to 3000.I do think the big lug track takes alot of top end off but it hooks up great.

·
Registered
593 Posts
ITS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT THE MORE STUDS YOU HAVE ON THE TRACK THE BETTER. iF YOU HAVE A LOW NUMBER OF STUDS THERE WILL BE MORE PRESSURE EXERTED ONE EACH STUD CAUSING MORE STUD AND TRACK WEAR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts