Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Most bigger lakes are still open, our lake closed its bays back up last night and it will hopefully close completely tonight if the winds die down. Next week is solid -15 to -18 every night and I figure it should have 4-5" on by next weekend. REMEMBER this is my lake and I know it well, five minutes up the road is another series of lakes and you won't see me on them till the locals on them deem them safe. IMO unless your a local cottager or know someone who is, DONT GO!

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
People on here can be funny. We get a night of -14* as well as some snow and then they want to know if the lakes are safe. LOL! How quick we forget. Go out for a rip and let us know. :dunno:

To answer your question, I was up to the cottage this last Sunday and our lake was WIDE OPEN (ie: water). So you better drive fast, real fast. :)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Most bigger lakes are still open, our lake closed its bays back up last night and it will hopefully close completely tonight if the winds die down. Next week is solid -15 to -18 every night and I figure it should have 4-5" on by next weekend. REMEMBER this is my lake and I know it well, five minutes up the road is another series of lakes and you won't see me on them till the locals on them deem them safe. IMO unless your a local cottager or know someone who is, DONT GO![/b]
That right there is excellent advice!!

Deisel - I was very surprised to see Gull Lake still frozen over on Saturday when I came home from the cottage.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I never thought that lake riding was worth the risk.This sport is dangerous enough.IMHO[/b]
If you know the lake(s) and do not go until you know they are safe - I do not see too much of a risk. If you are still concerned wear a floater suit. In 25 years I have not even had a close call on a lake.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you know the lake(s) and do not go until you know they are safe - I do not see too much of a risk. If you are still concerned wear a floater suit. In 25 years I have not even had a close call on a lake.[/b]
:werd:

I've been riding on lakes my whole life... they are probably safer than most trails when they are frozen (at least 8" throughout is my motto).

the lakes in muskoka and haliburton won't be ready for at the very least 2 weeks after freeze-up - the big ones are still wide open and even the smaller ones in haliburton just started to freeze. The webcam in haliburton shows head lake wide open in the middle as the drag river is warming everything up. usually one of the first to freeze in the area as its shallow too...

be safe and dont trust tracks either as its often the locals who go out early and pay with their lives... 4" is not enough to ride on as it probably won't be 4" everywhere. Just think if you had to stop or slow down, or worse if you broke down and had to walk off.... what would happen.... under 3" of ice isn't safe for an average sized human...

·
Registered
416 Posts
if you see a groomer on it you'll likely be ok.[/b]
I think it will be a long time before you see a groomer out on the lakes around Bancroft. I spoke to an operator 2 years ago and he told me they don't take the groomers out on the ice anymore, too many $$$ to recover it if it goes through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts