Votes: 0 0.0%
  • untill my right heat exchanger is hot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I dont have an F7,but do have a 5,and I tell ya they are also cold-blooded.I voted for the 15-20 min range.I fire it up before I start to get ready and let it run.Then I shut it off for 5 or so and give the sled a check over and refill the oil res.Start it up and off I go ,feathering the throttle for 3 or 4 min,and never WOT for at least 10 min.It's been good so far and am still running original plugs. :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
I tend to start it put the boots and bibs on after about 5 min slowly scoot around the yard and play around for a min or two and then go inside put jacket and helmet on and then Ride. I take it easy for a few miles also.

I let it Idle too long once ran like crap cause i fouled plugs.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Let mine idle for about 5 min, then I am easy on her for another 5 min. Never hit WOT til after 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I voted "till the right heat exchanger is hot(warm). I warm it up by letting it idle for a minute or two then, on a stand , run it so that the track spins,(10-15 mph)for 30 seconds or so then I let it idle down. Then run it to about 25-30 mph 30 seconds or so and let it idle down. Let it idle for a few minutes and go easy for the first few miles then hammer on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
^_^ I let her warm up till the exchangers feel warm to the touch. Then take it easy for the next few miles till WOT.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Warm up for a good 5 to 10 min. Pay attention to the off throttle bog. These sleds need the pipe warmed up good before hammering down on it. May be the cause for the cracked pipes(backfiring).

Just my observations.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Unload mine off the trailer, check the fluids, start it up again, and let it run until I have my riding clothes on. It gives me about ten minutes of warmup without me waiting around.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Man some of you guys...You need to let that right hand running board get warmed up..Until then, it should just sit.. Remember there are ice crystals in the motor from sitting all night long. These are some of the reasons why these sleds are blowing up...No Lube!!! Anyway please let them warm til that right side is warm...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well over 2000 miles with no prob. I dont let it warm up any longer than my last 6 new sleds which is between 5 and 10 minutes , I think some of you guys are paranoid :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by snowmanf7sp@Feb 17 2003, 03:49 PM
Well over 2000 miles with no prob. I dont let it warm up any longer than my last 6 new sleds which is between 5 and 10 minutes , I think some of you guys are paranoid :D
That's because those sleds didn't have running board heat exchangers. :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
I do like krispykreme-7, I idle it 3-5 mins, put on a stand and run it at engagement-1/2 throttle, get on and be nice to the throttle for the first minute or two until I get my all my throttle response...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I voted for the 10-15 but after stopping for a soda, and it sits and gets cold, I try to let it warm up and feel the rear exchanger toward the right side, when this starts to get warm, the running board exchanger may still be cool. If I start out riding, I just try to take it easy varying the throttle for a few miles, then just start riding like normal, but checking at the first stop sign, the right running board toward the foot rest. If its relatively warm to the touch then stab the flipper. These motors don't make power until the pipe is good and hot, so why jump on it until its good and warm.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I warm mine up until the snow I kick on the boards melts on both sides. On a cold morning it can take 15-20 minutes. On a restart on a -10F day it could be 5-10 minutes. But I never move until it melts. I have had "0" problems. I pulled my pipe at 1000 miles and it looks great. i have 1700 miles and it keeps getting better. LET THEM WARM UP GUYS!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to let it warm up until the right exchanger is warm. Then you know the thermostat is opened. It dosn't matter how long it takes, you just need to make sure that the right exchanger is warm. The last thing you want to do is take off thinking the motor is warmed up,then the thermostat opens after your first 1/2 mile or so and sends cold coolant into your hot water jackets! This can be as bad if not worse than no warm up! Besides that, if it idles to long, your just loading up your plugs and gumming up the power valves. If the right side is warm after 5 min., go ride if not, wait untill it is.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good Question, some seem to think this is funny, I think this could be the root of alot of problems!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts