Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my sled at the deal twice for the same problem and not been able to fix the problem, I started to do a little investigating on my own. My problem was brought to the attention to two Arctic Cat engineers and they both said to have a volume test done on the oil injection pump. I brought it to the dealer, told them I talked to the engineers. Told the dealer THEY NEED TO DO A VOLUME TEST. Well, I picked up the sled today and they said they didn't do a volume test, they just backed out the oil pump rod a few more turns. I can't test it with no snow but I know it's not right, the oil pump rod is at least 10 turns out. This makes it three times it's been to the dealer for the same problem. Where does the lemon law step in?

Who has the number for Cat costumer service?

Half of last year I had a drivability issue where the sled left the line like a turd. I want it to run like it used to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
iit takes around a hour and can be a bit messy on the f cat but no big deal but you need a cc volume gauge you take off your oil line from your pump and hook up your gauge and fill the it with injector oil and you run the sled at 3000 for three min and see how much oil you use and the repeat the test with the oil pump held open not out in the shop yet but can check on cc of oil to be used and the ex time of running if you need

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
there is no "Lemon Law" (Demand for Arbitration) on recreational vehicles. At least not in NH...

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 28 2005, 01:00 AM
I want it to run like it used to.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896756
[/quote]
lets hear how it ran before, and did this happen all of a sudden or gradually, your oil pump adjustment more than likely wont cure this IF it ran excellent before, IF it turns out to be oil problem, new pump will be required as the pumps don't''adjust the rod'' themselve(if you know what i mean), but lets hear how ran before for the record,,,,,,,,,

edit:removed carb/efi question,,,oops :frech32:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, the sled I'm talking about is the current sled in my profile.

C-note, this thing used to run GREAT. I remember riding up the Tamarack river at an easy pace about 35 MPH, before I let off the throttle at a corner I would give the throttle a quick blip and I couldn't believe how the sled tried to literally jerk the bars out of you hands. It had so much throttle response. It ran like that till about 700 miles, that's about the same time I put the ODS clutch kit in and that's the only thing I changed on the sled that would affect drivability. I noticed it was getting worse over the course of about 100 miles. I know it's not from the clutch kit, I even installed the stock kit with no help, I tried new belt, plugs, reshim the secondary, all with no help.

Now, from a dead stop, I'm sure I could get beat by a Z570. Huge cloud of black smoke. It even turns the snow black. Turns the side of my seat black. I run 87 octane gas with the ECU wire unplugged. If I plug the wire in, it will leave the line pretty good, but the throttle response was down considerably.

I just got off the phone with my brother, were going to bring my sled to Country Cat in Sauk Center. He talked to them about my sled and they are confident it needs a new oil pump. They have seen this before.

Oh Bee, I know you were trying to load the PDF file of the oil pump cc test from the performance manual. I appreciate the effort, but you can skip it. The sled is under warranty and it's going back to the dealer, different dealer.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem was also brought to the attention of Kevin Beilke, editor of snotech. He talked to his engine man about it. His engine man said to have the oil pump replace, no need to do a cc test, he's that sure of it.

I think other people have the same problem.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 29 2005, 09:57 PM
My problem was also brought to the attention of Kevin Beilke, editor of snotech. He talked to his engine man about it. His engine man said to have the oil pump replace, no need to do a cc test, he's that sure of it.

I think other people have the same problem.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=900290
[/quote]
the black snow says oil, the black smokecloud says rich(possibly sticky injectors or ecu maybe?) oil burns bluish grey smoke clouds, not black, when they replace pump, you'll know for sure, just doesn't sound like it, but hey, what do i know?? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^ I know what your saying, this problem goes against my mechanical religion, but Country Cat mechanics will get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Ok mine does the black line in the snow bit as well and plugs are wet and black too so is this oil as well sputters on take off hard on oil very hard over a gallon to 320 miles.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
320 miles/gal?,,,sounds like about factory calibration area from the feedback i recieve from customers(just under 2 tanks of oil for approx 3-3.25 top offs at the pump), all depends on how you ride,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Dono, is there an update pump, or did they reinstall the same part number pump?

Cat must have known about a problem with the oil pumps. If you look at browns, there is a different part number oil pump for almost every model FireCat and year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts