Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my F7 from the dealer after getting the 2 updates and a pre-season check done. Apparently, my little off-trail excursion into a small pine tree last season did more than bend my a-arms. I fixed the a-arms myself this summer, but the left-side bulkhead is "tweaked" and apparently my clutches will not perfectly align. Dealer said it would be in the area of 30 hours to tear the whole front end apart and fix it. He can't get to it for a month and I'm not sure that I want to do it anyway....it's a lot of money.

He asked if I was eating belts and I told him "no." After the accident, even with my bent a-arms, I still put on 400 - 500 miles of hard riding without munching a single belt.

I hate having something that I know is wrong/bent/broken, but am not sure it's worth the money to fix an '05 to that degree. I'm thinking that I'll simply carry two spare belts, instead of one and try not to think about the fact that I have a bent toy.

Am I approaching this the right way?

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
30 hours?? I think that is a little excessive. There is no way it would take a shop that long to do that. Sounds like they do not want to do it. If its not eating belts and still drives fine I would just run it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Just running it" is exactly what I'm hoping to do. That said, if it shouldn't take 30 hours, how long should it take. To be clear, the only thing that is bent is the left-hand side piece of aluminum that runs from just past the a-arms and in behind the clutches.

Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like they'll have to replace the whole front clip. I've already had than done on my '03 F5. It's a very time consuming job for the fact that just about every nut and bolt has to come off the sled in order to separate the front clip from the tunnel. When it's all said and done the sled will basically be hand built. Mine cost me approx. $2,000. If it's running good I would hold off on having it done where your going to have to wait a month and pay out about $2k, but keep in mind that the chassis will now flex more and eventually other parts of the front clip will begin to crack as well. The more I think about it, I would just get the thing fixed. You'll just be asking for trouble in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the dealer told me that you basically have to take the whole sled apart to make the repair. That's why I wasn't surprised when he said it would take a lot of hours.

You make a really good point about stressing the rest of the sleds structure. I hadn't thought about that. Unfortunately, I don't even have that problem. With no snow anywhere it's not getting any stress just sitting in my garage.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here's an idea....get an alignment tool and just check to see for yourself how much the Clutches are actually out.
If your NOT eat'n belts... it might Not be too much.
Maybe? you could elongate the mounts to align it closer to specs??????
Good Luck & Watch out for them sneeky little pines.
02T

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
WHY DONT you sell it at a discount end of the season tell the person who is bying it what is wrong and thats why your selling it so cheap. tell him it runs fine and handles good you cant tell. . You may want to mention that you are a perfectionist (sp) and you want everything perfect. you sell that for about 4 grand some 17 18 your old would suck that up in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
WHY DONT you sell it at a discount end of the season tell the person who is bying it what is wrong and thats why your selling it so cheap. tell him it runs fine and handles good you cant tell. . You may want to mention that you are a perfectionist (sp) and you want everything perfect. you sell that for about 4 grand some 17 18 your old would suck that up in a heartbeat![/b]
what so someone like me gets to deal with the headache? not cool dude. not cool.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had to get mine changed..only started to eat belts when i was running the rivers.

Not much fun blowing a belt at 99 mph!!

The dealer told me 25ish hrs. ..the mechanic said his record was 16hrs.

Find someone that will do it off season for a set price not by the hr.

I got a bulkhead from RV sports brand new for $300US..and payed a mechanic cash $800 cnd. to install it.

There will be some guys on here that i'm sure are more then capable of doing it for you in the off season for alittle $$$$ i did have acouple of offers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
what so someone like me gets to deal with the headache? not cool dude. not cool.[/b]

why is that not cool? sounds like a good idea to me. If you tell them what is wrong, they know it up front and obviously would want to deal with the "headache." Personally, I would be all over a deal like that. Buy a sled at a cheap price, completely go through it when changing out the bulkhead and have the piece of mind that you know the condition of every part on the sled. my .02

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
why is that not cool? sounds like a good idea to me. If you tell them what is wrong, they know it up front and obviously would want to deal with the "headache." Personally, I would be all over a deal like that. Buy a sled at a cheap price, completely go through it when changing out the bulkhead and have the piece of mind that you know the condition of every part on the sled. my .02[/b]
It's fine if he explains everything but the way DR explained it, he made it sound like you just mention it and play it off like it's no big deal and you're just a perfectionist. Then let them figure out how screwed up it is on their own.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, lot of traffic. I thought I wouldn't get anymore responses.

My brother and I work on our muscle cars and have done everything from bodywork to engine rebuilds, so it could be a good summer project. So, looks like I have three options:

1. Fixing it myself in the off season;
2. Having someone else fix it in the off season; (thanks for the tip about looking around for a better or fixed price; hadn't thought of that); or
3. Selling it "as is" and telling the guy buying it exactly what's wrong; I don't have a problem doing that because I would be completely and totally honest with the guy; in my view, 99% of us sledders realize that we are a brotherhood with a passion that most people don't understand and that we have to stick together; there's no way I'd f#ck another sledder, especially one just starting out

In terms of fixing it myself, is there a manual or instructions that I could try to lay my hands on? Or is it literally an issue of taking it apart one piece at a time, swapping out the bent part and then putting it back together in reverse order?

Of course, I could just keep it unfixed as a back up sled and buy a brand new Crossfire8 or F8 next year!

Thanks for the posts, guys.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
just do it your self. really tearing down isnt that hard and if you pay attention tearing down it shouldnt be that bad to put back together. its not like you are tearing into the motor or anything that takes a ton of skill to repair

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.