Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about getting an SKS 146 850 and am wondering how it handles on the trails. In a sharper corner will it lift the inner ski or stay flat? Or at higher speeds does it feel unstable? Maybe chance of lugs coming off?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
You want an off trail sled and are worried about ski lift? Why? The SKS is fine on trail, but it doesn't sound right for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Considered the same scenario myself and ended up going assault with 2” track Talked to people that have rode both and said even the assault can be tippy enough and have inside skilift That said anything can have skilift in certain conditions without some body English put into it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mostly ride northern WI and U.P but 1-2 times a year go out west and rent sleds, but never an SKS.

·
Premium Member
2014 800 Switchback Pro R 1.75" lug Retro white w/bags
73 Posts
Assault S/B can get really out of shape in certain conditions. It's a "performance crossover" sled and in 800 and 850 models they can get really crazy if you're not right on it all the time. Think about eating your lunch while hammering on it and you'll be riding the ass of your bibs down the trail or barrel rolling across a field. In capable hands however, they are a dream come true. The SKS is of similar bent (sort of) but with a narrower stance and taller rear profile so sure, it's gonna lift the skis in hard cornering. That's why it's considered a "freestyle" machine. Not dedicated to any one thing specifically, but one that will do most everything well for the right rider. It ain't no Matrix though.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
IMO, my '19 SBA 850 has excellent trail manners for a crossover, even with the 2" track. My 2015 Adventure (a Pro-X SB with luggage) has more ski lift and needs more attention when hammering thru the corners. I find I ride those sleds quite differently though, the pro-x more point & shoot, much more on and off the gas while with the assault I maintain a very smooth, consistent pace thru the corners.
I've ridden with inside ski lift on several sleds since my 02 xc800 , and it doesnt bother me much at all as long as its consistent and predictable. But if susp. setup is off or shocks are in need of servicing, things may start to get interesting, lol!

No seat time on the SKS yet though. I'm sure the narrower stance will be a noticeable tradeoff in the corners but just as much of a benefit when carving off trail

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
2021 850 Assault 146, 2019 Pantera 6000, 1975 Jag 340, 1973 Colt S/S 340
125 Posts
Had two Pro-Ride Assaults (1.325 then 2") then bought an Axys SKS 146. SKS is taller, has a softer sway bar and a more aggressive ski. It can be tippy and takes a little more work to run quick down the trail. I did not find it unpredictable though. I am trying the more aggressive grippers on my new Assault 146 with the 2" track. I have not had an issue with any of the tracks and the SKS ran cooler than the old 1.325" with the cooling improvements in 2018. Lift the ski; yes. SKS is geared lower so not as fast. It came with a warning not to operate the track at high speeds for long periods.

·
Premium Member
2014 800 Switchback Pro R 1.75" lug Retro white w/bags
73 Posts
The high speed warning is for all deep lug machines Poo released. A 155 2.6 will do 80-85 mph, but why would you? It's meant for the fluff not lake races.

·
Vendor
10,217 Posts
assault is a capable off trail sled that leans more to trails then off trail. we don't experience any bad inside ski lift. nothing like a pro-x. the SKS is more capable off trail sled by far. it will go down the trail but you will have to be on it. it's tippy. but not as bad as a RMK so you have to ask yourself where and what type of riding are you looking for? more then 50% trail riding buy the assault. more then 50% off trail buy the SKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts