Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havn't had any problems with the spark plugs on my new 2007 FST IQ LX but I had some extra time today to look things over a little closer. I tried to figure out how to change the spark plugs in the sled and I cannot figure it out. The one side I figured out by removing the airbox to get at the Allen screws. The other plug I cannot figure out. How the hell do you get at the back allen screw. There is a solid stainless pipe in the way which as far as I can tell does not move. Please help, thanks in advance!!

Has anyone had any problems with fowling plugs on the 07's??

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,316 Posts
I havn't had any problems with the spark plugs on my new 2007 FST IQ LX but I had some extra time today to look things over a little closer. I tried to figure out how to change the spark plugs in the sled and I cannot figure it out. The one side I figured out by removing the airbox to get at the Allen screws. The other plug I cannot figure out. How the hell do you get at the back allen screw. There is a solid stainless pipe in the way which as far as I can tell does not move. Please help, thanks in advance!!

Has anyone had any problems with fowling plugs on the 07's??[/b]
Get your new sled in your profile, so all can see.

This is what page 3.7 of the 06-07 FST Service manual says:

Spark Plug Servicing

Due to the location of several components, follow these steps to
access the MAG-side ignition coil pack.

1. Remove the screw securing the coolant filler neck to the oil storage
tank.
2. Re-route the bleed hose so it is not between the fuel hoses.
3. Move the filler neck away from storage tank, then move
bleed hose out of the way of the coil.
4. Lift the cooling hose to access the ignition coil pack.
5. Torque spark plug to 18 - 20 Ft.Lbs. (24 - 27 Nm). Torque
the coil pack fasteners to 7 Ft.Lbs. (10 Nm).
6. Return bleed hose to original position. Do not over-tighten
the filler neck-to-storage tank fastener.[/b]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that but I don't see anything explaining how to move the stainless steel tube that runs directly over the top of the coil. With that in the way you cannot get to the allen screw. Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
I saw that but I don't see anything explaining how to move the stainless steel tube that runs directly over the top of the coil. With that in the way you cannot get to the allen screw. Thanks[/b]
Is the tube you are talking about the one from the aftercooler or is it the coolant line? I have a 06 so not sure if yours is the same.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is from the aftercooler![/b]
Ok, thats good. You can remove the tube from the aftercooler with hose clamps. You then need to loosen the hose clamp at the other end. You can access that clamp by removing the air box. You will probable have the airbox off already for the other plug. At this point you can pull the tube out of intake.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just changed the plugs in my 06 FST yesterday and it is not a fun job. For sure remove the air box as that makes the clutch side plug easy to do. Now also remove the the tube coming from the intercooler to the intake. Next remove the bolt that holds the coolant filler tube to the oil tank. I then took a zip tie and used it to pull up on the smaller silver coolant line that runs over that top of the mag side coil pack. Once you move some wires out of the way you can get a small allen wrench in there to loosen the coil pack bolts. I used a magnet to lift the bolts out.
Good thing you don't have to change the plugs often on these 4 strokes.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When u did mine last year i dropped the allen wrench "down in there" and it clinked all the way down into the bellypan which you cannot get to. I used a magnet tool (the kind with the snake type extenstion) and just kept fishing until eventually i heard a "clink". Luckily the allen wrench stayed attached otherwise it would've been left in there to vibrate and fly around. Not a fun job changing those plugs and i'll never do it again. If the sled was calibrated correctly we wouldn't have to change them, that's the part that tick's me off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought a leftover 06 FST Switchback at an auction. It was started and shut down (never had a chance to warm up properly) so many times that the plugs are shot.
Yep, the clutch side isn't really to bad. And after about an hour on the other side I found an easy way to change it. Load it on the trailer and take it to the dealer. I couln't get the two large wiring harnesses out of the way to even get to the bolts. And my 4-year old was bugging me to play with him which sounded like a lot more fun. I sure hope I don't ever have to change them again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the 07's were supposed to be so much easier to replace the plugs. Just doesn't make sense to me. Hope I don't have to replace them out on the trail anywhere at night. I think I will just bury it and come back in spring.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I thought the 07's were supposed to be so much easier to replace the plugs. Just doesn't make sense to me. Hope I don't have to replace them out on the trail anywhere at night. I think I will just bury it and come back in spring.[/b]
It is really not that hard in your garage. Forget even trying on the trail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts