Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys break in new sleds, how many miles before really getting on it? Any other tips other than babying it?

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Only one way to do it. Ride it like a rental!![/b]
exactly, we never ever ever, did any break in periods on a sled, they say ride it liek you noramly do, just gets the used to what you do to it, are dealer only puts in 1/2 gallon of mix and we are good to go

·
Registered
64 Posts
Follow the what the owners manual says, most 2 strokes will need extra oil added to the gas tank for the first fill. Allow the engine a good amount of warm up time before riding. If fan cooled you don't have to worry much about how long but if liquid cooled be careful. No more than 15 minutes of idling because coolant flow will be little or none and you would be suprized at how quick one could overheat and cook the motor.

Very Important: when you first take off with the engine warming up be easy on the throttle until it is fully warmed up. If you have a temperature gauge notice where it normally reads after full warm up. If you dont have a gauge give it 5 to 10 minutes of easy riding before anything more than 1/4 or 1/3 throttle. After full warm up vary engine speed and load (easy to do on a sled but avoid full throttle). Near the end of the break in period, be it the first full tank of fuel or X number of miles start using more and more thottle to you get up to full and enjoy.

Whether it is your sled, truck, bike or lawn mower, always let it fully warm up before heavy or full throttle. Your engine will thank you with longer life and better performance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ride like you normaly would but with short wide open bursts that has worked for me on all my new sleds :banana:[/b]

This is how I broke in all my sleds when they where new. Worked for me, never had an issue. Only thing I could add is I also wasn't afraid to pin it on a lake long enough to get up to 70-80 then backed off. Id do that four-five times after about 30-40 miles of first ride during the first tank of fuel, after that, let her rip. If you run it in like that by the time your into the 2nd tank of fuel if something bad is gonna happen it would have already. *Assumes first tank of fuel had some extra inj oil in it.

And How can it be good? Really what you are looking to do is get the rings to start seating properly. Only some heat cycling and WOT will get that to happen. If you baby it, rings may not seat as good as it could.

Just my 2 cents worth........mps :div20:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No it isn't just for 4S engines. It applies to any engine.

One thing that he stresses, and I agree too is that you need NON synthetic oil for the break in period.[/b]
Yup, I drained my fuel tank and oil resevoir and dumped in some yamalube and fresh gas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts